Are BB turbos worth it?

Are you running the same 2,800 stall with the 6776 or did you step it up a little? I'm about the pull the trigger on this turbo, still wondering about it's street manners. I only have a 2,800 stall right now and wondering if I should send it out to have the stall raised. I'm hoping the bigger motor may help...

The stock turbo was with stock convertor. The 2800 was added with 67mm turbo. I did borrow a 3000 stall from a freind when The PTC was getting re-stalled and the spollup was instantanious with it. For all out instant power 3000 would do the trick. Lacey's T-type has no cage so didn't want to twist her car instantly off the line, so the 2800 is what we used, and it still spools fast, just not as fast at a 3000 stall.

BB's on the street are fun. And also spool fast in the beams. I really don't need to start spooling the turbo until both staging lights are on, and I'm ready to go by the time the lights come down. My old Innovative t70 q trim.85 A/r spools NOW. Like pacemaker, I'll never go back. My car has tons of street miles and a ton of passes on it, and it has no play. The issue of height is not an issue, the water pump will move water thorugh it no matter what. On a couple friends cars, their gt67's spool rediculously fast.

The issue of height is not an issue, the water pump will move water thorugh it no matter what.

I guess the argument was that after the engine is shut down that the water inside boils out and heats the whole turbo up...it didn't sound very plausible to me...besides the turbo I'm looking at (CPT-66) doesn't require water cooling according to Jack...I'm going to water cool it as cheap insurance...so even if the water did boil out (I don't think it will) it won't be a show stopper.

I went from a 3200 10" PTC with my 6776dbb and had it restalled to a 2800. A night and day difference. I was blowing thru the 3200 stall real bad.

I have not made it back to the track but it spools up so fast it scares me. I can lay into the throttle at 35 mph in second gear and it will leave 40 feet of black marks with my et streets.

I think the old school way of thinking with the journal bearing/high stall is not the way to go. These BB turbos dont need alot of converter to work.

I went from a TE60 with a precision .63 to a 6776 h cover w/.63 exhaust. Running a 3200 and man what a difference. Almost feels like a supercharger vs a turbo. Car really feels too fast for the street. I'll get knocked for that one. Super responsive! I thought that it would be a little laggy with the ported GN1s and the 212, but I was wrong. I'll stick with BB for sure now especially on a street car. Boost hits 20 lbs almost quicker than you can react to the boost guage. Car doesn't have traction control lag anymore.

I went from a TE60 with a precision .63 to a 6776 h cover w/.63 exhaust. Running a 3200 and man what a difference. Almost feels like a supercharger vs a turbo. Car really feels too fast for the street. I'll get knocked for that one. Super responsive! I thought that it would be a little laggy with the ported GN1s and the 212, but I was wrong. I'll stick with BB for sure now especially on a street car. Boost hits 20 lbs almost quicker than you can react to the boost guage. Car doesn't have traction control lag anymore.

I agree with you. My car IS too fast for the street. You really have to have a mature head on your shoulders when you decide when and where to put the gas to the floor. I usually like at least 3 lanes wide and no ditches near me.:eek: :D The days of street racing/test n tuning on back, narrow country roads are gone...

Yep. :eek:

If you plumb the water cooling in using heater lines 5/8" and feed from the top and the drain is uphill from the bottom to the stock hard line, the water is concentrated in the cartridge area of the turbo, and can't really boil out at shutdown.

Only have about 15K and 3 years on my DBB in the daily driver, so I'm not sure how long it's gonna last. :confused: :p

I don't do any fancy shutoff cooling timing either.

I'd water cool a Turbonetics BB 66 for sure for daily driving. :cool:

It's easy. :)

Cpt61bb

Does anyone know anything about the Turbonetics CPT61BB? Good turbo? Great warranty.

I just ordered one today from Jack. I'm upgrading from a TA49. I have a 3200 stall currently. I know I don't need to run a water line to this but might do it afterwards.

Will I see a huge difference in spoolup and overall power vs. the 49?

Does anyone know anything about the Turbonetics CPT61BB? Good turbo? Great warranty.

I just ordered one today from Jack. I'm upgrading from a TA49. I have a 3200 stall currently. I know I don't need to run a water line to this but might do it afterwards.

Will I see a huge difference in spoolup and overall power vs. the 49?

I went from a TE44 to the CPT-61. It's a really good turbo. I almost wish I wuld of went cpt 66 or 67 though now. It spooled like the 44 with my 2400 stall.

Water cooling is easy to make. local parts stores have the fittings. You just have to look around a bit. It also fit under the stock turbo shield.

motor052007-3.jpg

61waterlines2.jpg

61waterlines4.jpg

motor052007.jpg