Getting a PRO EFI installed in a low 11 T Type

I'd like to know more about where the power comes from on an aftermarket ecu. I'm not trying to be rude, but I'd like a little education about where this extra power is coming from. Someone else stated the proEFI will enable power to be freed up. I realize that better knock control as well as more precise fuel delivery/timing will get you more power in that you may feel safer pushing the car, but I don't see how a stock ecu running appropriate timing for the fuel used will make less power than a standalone ecu at the same boost levels on the same motor. It may be a comfort thing, but as far as I have ever been taught, hp is determined by mass air flow through the motor, AFR, and ignition timing, and I dont see how these factors are different on any motor regardless of engine management. Heck, even a carbureator tuned right should make the same power on any given car at the same boost, timing, and AFR on any given IC engine. Guru's, please enlighten me...TIA. And I can't help but think that street drivabilty has to be hindered at least a little bit with SD setup vs MAF unless you are doing your own tuning, constantly. I'd like to be corrected on this too. I want to make the jump to FAST basically, but I don't see where the power is going to be to justify the expense, at least at my power level and I drive 10k miles per year through varuous climates and I want to keep my MAF for those reasons.

I'd like to know more about where the power comes from on an aftermarket ecu. I'm not trying to be rude, but I'd like a little education about where this extra power is coming from. Someone else stated the proEFI will enable power to be freed up. I realize that better knock control as well as more precise fuel delivery/timing will get you more power in that you may feel safer pushing the car, but I don't see how a stock ecu running appropriate timing for the fuel used will make less power than a standalone ecu at the same boost levels on the same motor. It may be a comfort thing, but as far as I have ever been taught, hp is determined by mass air flow through the motor, AFR, and ignition timing, and I dont see how these factors are different on any motor regardless of engine management. Heck, even a carbureator tuned right should make the same power on any given car at the same boost, timing, and AFR on any given IC engine. Guru's, please enlighten me...TIA. And I can't help but think that street drivabilty has to be hindered at least a little bit with SD setup vs MAF unless you are doing your own tuning, constantly. I'd like to be corrected on this too. I want to make the jump to FAST basically, but I don't see where the power is going to be to justify the expense, at least at my power level and I drive 10k miles per year through varuous climates and I want to keep my MAF for those reasons.

The Aftermarket ECU gives you the ability to fine tune v/s working within a tune from a cookie cutter chip even one that offers some range of adjustment. Every engine combo needs something a little different. There is no magic AFR or Timing number or fuel curve that works perfect for everything. I hear guys talk about drive ability of the aftermarkets. I personally have not seen an aftermarket that did not drive better than a chip car.

X,It sounds like your mind is made up, but let me say this. First off the aftermatket ECM will net you nothing mocre than a tenth or two and a empty pocket if you tuner has done thier job with your factory ECM. . We are running 10.0's with a factory ecumenical and an Eric Marshal chip. There are huge advantages in running a system that ALOT of guys already have figured out and know how to help you through it. Why run Pro EFI if only one other person runs it. Lots of guys running and tuning XFI, heck you can buy one already preprogrammed to start right up. Buy an airline ticket for Cal Hartline and divide his tuning charge among a few buddies and you can't go wrong.
I think you will be very disappointed going to an aftermarket system based on your posted performance records. If your tuner is taking a class to learn how to tune, it may cost you a set of head gaskets or pistons learning how to make it run. As stated earlier its airflow that makes power. Proper tuning of that airflow is needed but the stock ECM can and will handle 750+ horsepower. Many folks are doing it. Save your money

My mechanic is taking a course to become an official vendor for them he knows how to tune which he will be able to get the systems at 33% cheaper then market price :). I am having this put in my car to

A. Get every inch of performance and tune out of the car. Once the car ran into the 10's I want the car to be as tuned as perfectly as she could be and no one can say that a chip tune can do what a stand alone unit can do. Everyone has their own opinion and if you think chips are the epitome of peak performance from these vehicles then that's your opinion and I respect it. I personally believe upgrading to a FAST or what ever you decide to get is an upgrade in performance for these vehicles as the tuner can certainly do more detailed tuning with the Pro EFI then with a chip which in turn will lead to overall improvement in the vehicle. I never thought there would be a debate as to whether a EFI,FAST etc. wouldn't improve the car over a chip. Yes they are expensive but when you see all the specs that are available with the system there is no debate that a chip can compete.

Just to clarify I personally run a FAST ECM. I just was trying to let you know that the factory ECM is NOT what is keeping your car from running faster. You are far from "needing" a stand alone ECM. Yes they allow more precision tuning but the new chips available will get you into the nines with supporting components. Good luck with your adventure. These cars are alot of fun.