Anyone run NGK Iridium plugs?

success

I installed the UR5IX Iridiums and carefully gapped them to .031 and no more popping. :cool:

Previous plug was CR43TS gapped at .034 which may have worked fine if I gapped them tighter...but I wanted to try the Iridiums based everyone's feedback.

BTW NGK recommended I go with UR6 (colder plug) but I already had the UR5's in hand. If I have further trouble I will try the 6's. They also recommended not gapping them any more than .031 because it would distort the relationship between electrodes.

Mike

Awhile ago I was searching for a new racing resistor plug and iridiums came up on the search engine. Before then, I had never heard of iridiums. After more research I forked out the extra money and gave them a try. I use iridiums as my warm up plugs and when burning gasoline (when not racing), and my racing plugs (when burning alcohol). The iridium warm up plugs are lasting twice as long as my old choice and the racing plugs have not given me any problems so far. Iridium is safe with alcohol. An important consideration for me. I haven't used them at high boost yet.
My setup: Cam has long duration and, comparatively, a lot of overlap. Electromotive TEC3r waste spark ignition and 22 psi boost so far.

The overlap plays havoc on plug life and even though the warmup (gasoline) plugs are typically coated by carbon every time I remove them, they keep firing and I just put them back in. My other plugs (standard electrodes) would never last well with all that carbon buildup.

I'm sold on iridiums.

Awhile ago I was searching for a new racing resistor plug and iridiums came up on the search engine. Before then, I had never heard of iridiums. After more research I forked out the extra money and gave them a try. I use iridiums as my warm up plugs and when burning gasoline (when not racing), and my racing plugs (when burning alcohol). The iridium warm up plugs are lasting twice as long as my old choice and the racing plugs have not given me any problems so far. Iridium is safe with alcohol. An important consideration for me.

I haven't used them at high boost yet.

My setup: Cam has long duration and, comparatively, a lot of overlap. Electromotive TEC3r waste spark ignition and 22 psi boost so far.

The overlap plays havoc on plug life and even though the warmup (gasoline) plugs are typically coated by carbon every time I remove them, they keep firing and I just put them back in. My other plugs (standard electrodes) would never last well with all that carbon buildup.

I'm sold on iridiums.
Ooops

The CR42TS might have been too cold. I tried them after the new motor was done and it ran odd, so i swithed back to the CR43TS and it ran smooth again. What is the diff between the CR43TS and the R43TS? I always used the CR and never had a prob with them.

I have always had good luck with the R42TS gaped at 27. I do know that the CR42TS is a commercial plug hints the "C". I have never used the "C" type.