Anyone run a METALLIC substrate cat. conv. yet?

XxDarkSidexX

Banned
I got this new cat and was wondering if anyone has used it or one like it yet. It is all stainless steel, metallic substraight cat with a 300 cell count. I know they make them with 200, 300, 400, and 500 cell counts. In the picture is my old 3" hi flow cat, which is a ceramic honeycomb style cat. And next to it is my new 3" cat with new y pipe for my duals.

100_1892.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Image of metalic substraight cat! 300cell count - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

anyone use one of these before? Thanks in advance.
XxDarkSidexX

I was going to say, why bother... but then I looked at your location :(

I was going to say, why bother... but then I looked at your location :(

i know right; its sucks.

I am hoping with this new cat, and some FAST tunning I can at least
pass the actual test. I have the "visual" taken care of hopfully. But
what I dont have a hook up on is the actual test, if I pass the test
I think I can get away with the visual.

just wondering if anyone has used this cat before?

I'm going to give it a try. Bought one from Jeg's for around $160. Took them three months to get me one with them saying any day now every week I called. Then I found the same thing on Ebay for $60. Jeg's got theirs back.

These cats are made in Mexico. I didn't see giving Jeg's a $100 just to make me wait on them. They are stainless; but it's 304; so it will not stay pretty.

I live in a "Non-Atainment" area; so we have to have the full emissions test on a car this "new". I've still got other problems with the car; but should have it done soon. I'll let you know if it passes emissions.

Good luck,

Joe

These cats are made in Mexico. I didn't see giving Jeg's a $100 just to make me wait on them. They are stainless; but it's 304; so it will not stay pretty.

I'll let you know if it passes emissions.

Good luck,

Joe

I did the same thing. When I was first told about these cats, I figured why not, flowing 30-50% more then my hi flow ceramic cat sure Ill try it. Then I did some research on these new metallic spiral spun centered cats, and found out many race companies overseas were already using them. In fact I found almost nothing but high end exotic cars running these style of cats for their exhaust systems; their dyno charts with vs hi flow ceramic cats proved to me they flow more.

its okay to me using 304, because im not in it for looks anyways. I just want the highest flowing exhaust with a cat as possible.
And I will post my smog test when I go and complete mine as well, FAST should help;)

with this cat, flowmaster 10 series, and turn downs, it should be entertaining.:D

XxDarkSidexX

Maybe this is a really dumb question....but how do you install that thing? Doesnt look like it bolts up like a stock cat?

Maybe this is a really dumb question....but how do you install that thing? Doesnt look like it bolts up like a stock cat?

there is no such thing as a dum question

you can either weld it straight on the DP or you can buy the exhaust flanges and weld them both the cat and the DP, then it will bolt on. I could even go and put an exhaust flange on the y pipe too.

but im just going to use exhaust flanges(4 bolt) on the inlet of the cat and my end of my dp. I will weld the outlet of the cat to the y pipe and I am making my own dual 3" out of stainless. I have the dual exhaust already cut, marked and ready to weld. I just have to get it all welded together. Im getting really excited to hear those flowmaster 10 series with dumps. :cool: I might buy the flanges from RJC, but im going to shop around see if I canfind any for cheaper. If I was rich I would buy 4 exhaust flanges and make the whole exhaust bolt on ready and call it a day.

cat = $60
magnaflow y pipe = $20 (got lucky)
box full of 3" SS pipe = $40 (i got lucky)
2 flowmaster 10 series = $100 (again got lucky)
welding = ? hopfully I can get lucky on that too ;)
lucky = bought it from someone who didn't need it; craiglist is my friend!
DS

I've got a 3" downpipe that this converter will slip over. The rest is made up of an old "test pipe" that I cut up and shoved in the back end of the converter so the length came out right; and this bolts to the exhaust pipe flange. While the converter is listed as 3" it's made to slip over 3" pipe. RJC Racing RJC Racing the leaders in inovative Buick performance sells a bunch of otherwise hard to find flanges that should help you out also. Metal Supermarkets Metal Supermarkets can get you the rest of the pipe in stainless if you need it that way. There are other places to get pipe and flanges; these were just the easiest for me.

I've still got other problems to fix before I give mine a try at the emissions test.

Joe