Anyone here with a Jay Carter 93 boost chip?

S10xGN

RETIRED!
Hi All,

I just bought a Jay Carter 93 street chip with boost sensing option for 40# red-stripes. Unplugged the Lubrant chip and plugged in Jay's chip. With no other changes, the engine runs so rich, I cannot even get any O2 cross-counts & sensor shows ~ 850mv). Integrator and BLM's are locked at 128. Sets a code 45 (rich). This is all at idle, vehicle is not yet driveable. Jay has rechecked his (chip image) file and tells me the chip was burned correctly. Anyone else run into this?

Thanks!

You sure its boost sensing and not a variable mixture chip? Although I dont know how many of these are out there...

Do you have a post MAF leak?

Are you using a translator?

BLM at 128 sounds like it never went into closed loop. If the BLM is 128 and the thing IS achieveing closed loop. I sispect a MAF problem.

What did Lubrants chip run like with nothing else changed?

There are no variable mixture chips out in the wild.

Originally posted by TurboJim
You sure its boost sensing and not a variable mixture chip? Although I dont know how many of these are out there...

Do you have a post MAF leak?

Are you using a translator?

BLM at 128 sounds like it never went into closed loop. If the BLM is 128 and the thing IS achieveing closed loop. I sispect a MAF problem.

What did Lubrants chip run like with nothing else changed?

Wouldn't suspect a post MAF leak, as the JL chip ran (idled) great.

No translator (yet).

From T-Link, the JC chip never went closed loop, and the EGT was 730°. It blackened the tailpipe immediately. I pulled the O2 sensor and it was sooted up, too.

Again, the Lubrant chip ran great - the idle was too low for my cam, and it had the scanmaster crap (oops!, I meant patch) that was screwing up a bunch of T-Link readings. I sent it back for a "personality change" and will see how it runs with the new settings. My engine's run an hour or so with the Lubrant chip and the tailpipe looked as clean as it was when installed. Five minutes with the JC chip and it's completely sooted black.

Jay seemed pretty sure the burn was perfect and he used 39# for the injector constant. He recommended lowering the FP to 42#, which I have not tried yet. I want to try the Lubrant again, and make sure the O2 sensor is working and it goes closed loop. If it's OK, I'll try Jay's FP setting and see what happens...

Thanks!

Jay, you out there? What injector constant is in this chip in question???

Originally posted by S10xGN

Jay seemed pretty sure the burn was perfect and he used 39# for the injector constant. He recommended lowering the FP to 42#, which I have not tried yet. I want to try the Lubrant again, and make sure the O2 sensor is working and it goes closed loop. If it's OK, I'll try Jay's FP setting and see what happens...

Thanks!

FWIW, and I have .00000001 the experience Jay does, but for those injectors I use a 43# constant and put extra in PE. If the thing never went into closed loop it will never learn the idle BLM and will never stop smoking as those injectors are fat at low pulsewidths.

A 43# constant for red stripes? Guess you learn something new every day.

Most of my later Red Stripe versions (My chip files are labeled 40-xxxx if that tells you anything), and most are running

a 40# constant (33h)
a few have a 39# constant (34h)

OK, I lied. One chip I did was $31 (calcs to ~41.5#) and the other couple I used a $2F (which is 43.2#). I dont recall hearing anything strange about the BLM's so ASSumed it was pretty close. I do know I never heard anything about black smoke. Only one smoked was a 87 chip I tried putting hot air MAF tables in. It ran OK, but smoked at WOT. I dont know if it was a chip or car issue. Funny thing is why didnt your car goes into closed loop. Was it so fat that there was never any crosscounts? Was the SES light flashing really fast?

A bin I have used is attached. I was told it ran well. Try it. Or dont, doesnt matter. I had to zip it to make it a acceptable filetype.

Attachments

• redstripe.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 110