Anyone from Kansas City, Kansas??

musclecar neal

Engine Builder
What is is like there? Any good car related stuff going on? G/F has job offer with Garmin. Might be moving any info would be helpful. Housing jobs, cool things to do. Oh one more thing weather.

Neal

Live real close to there so I can help. Overall KC is a nice place to live. The cost of living is fairly low, the locality pay is good, the people in the midwest are really nice, the winters are typically cold and windy, and the summers pretty hot and dry....not humid like FL. The night life is great as there are a bunch of different things to do. The local track (KCIR) was just repaved last year and is smooth as glass. The street racing scene has kinda died down but used to be huge. There are a ton of TR's and TTA's in the area, more than I've seen anywhere else at one time. One day at the track there was no less than 3 TTA's and 7 TR's racing...don't see that too often in the midwest. Everything out here requires getting on the highway to get to, so 15k miles a year is about average. Kansas City Kansas is basically a pit. The county Wyandot is costly to live in (highest taxes) and most areas are pretty bad off. About 15 miles South are plenty of great neighborhoods to live in. Johnson county is the area South of there I'm refering to. Do any search and you'll find that this county has been ranked in the top 10 for median income for a while now. The school districts in JO County are top notch, that's always important if you have kids. Housing is really inexpensive when compared to the coasts. For example, I just bought a newer ( built in 1992) 2900 sq/ft 5 bed/3 bath 5 car garage house on 5 prime acres for less than $200k. I live ~35 miles South of KC KS., so that makes a little difference. That's about all I can think of right now. If you want any further info, privately email me and I'll give you a contact number to call me.

The Missouri side of KC ain't too bad either....Joe lives too close to the emerald city, his perspective is whacked. :D

Nice place to live. I've lived here 13 years and have ZERO family here, so that should tell you a little something.

Garmin is supposed to be a great company. They're growing fast. They just built a huge expansion on their facility there. You have to work hard there though - typical for a growing company.

You didn't mention what you do for a living - people will be more likely to give you a tip if you let us know what you're looking for.

Thanks for the replies . It sure sounds nicer than South Florida. I just picked my G/F up at the airport and she likes it too. Lets see if she gets hired. There just might be a new GN in town guys. I am in the auto buisness. I have had my own shop for 7 years now. Doing high end musclecar work and race/exotic engines. Is there any need for someone like me in town?

Neal

There are a few shops in the metro that mess with cars, but few that do the high end stuff. I know there is a guy that does mostlyPorshe, but he's real high dollar and kidna odd of you catch my drift. My buddy has one of two chassis dynos in the metro area and does a good business installing blowers for Procharger that's based here in Lenexa. Keep us posted, there are quite a few of us that get out and meet at cruises or the track from time to time. Doug H. up there is too high dollar for us po folk anymore, you can't buy a LC2 powered car in KC because Doug or Bryan W. already own it:)

Don't listen to Joe and his 5 bedroom, 80 car garage, 5 acre-owning azz. ;)

Neal, Since I now own a small classic car dealership, you and I may be able to benefit one another. Email me when you get settled in and we can meet up at a cruise night here in town and talk. There are LOTS of cars here in KC, and lots of cruise nights and shows. It's a fun car town.

hmmm...Joe, I'm hurt...KCK a pit??? :) Depends on what part of town(KCK) you live in...Western Wyandotte county is really nice and growing(Especially N and W of the NASCAR track, more or less closer to Leavenworth County)...More and more new developments going in all the time...Price of land and and the quality of housing going in is fairly reasonable all things considered...Yes, taxes are kind of high, but that too is being straightened out...And yeah, the NE part of town gives the whole county a bad rep...Everywhere else isn't bad...

But in a way, I do agree with you somewhat...

All and all, really anywhere in the KC metro area, there are good places to live...You just need to be an informed house hunter and get good references about the certain areas...

Cool stuff:

You can attend the Noble based Buick vs Ford shootout!
KC is "just big enough, but not too big"
Airport flies to just about anywhere
Centrally located
Weather always changes
and....

Yer that much closer to the really cool Wichita guys. :)

Shawn

Jim your right, I appologize, that should have read "most of KCK is a pit.";) How is Jim, havn't heard from ya in a while? Are you going to BG this year? How are the cars doing? Let's try and get together soon and BS...

Hey Doug, you call that a "small classic car dealership?" That list in your sig looks more like Hemmings news.

K.C.

Contact Brian Wanner on this site.He's helped me a lot and has 7 or 8 of these cars. Tommy

That Bryan guy doesn't know ****...he just fixes heavy machinery with duct tape and bailing wire:)

Heheh...Nope, can't go to BG this year...Got the GN running, but something else is screwy now...I'm going to end up putting my spare motor back together and putting it in and then go through the f'd up one and correcting the problems I'm having with it...

Have you guys been going to the track lately??? When do you usually go??? I may go out there to watch and BS until I can get everything straightened out with my stuff...

Talk to ya later...

if KC is to big

try a little town called Smith Center Ks. Population 1500 with hardly any crime and 4 Turbo Regals in the town. It would be a hell uva a commute though. About 365 miles 1 way:D .

Just kidding, KC is great for a somewhat big city. The wife kids and I love to go visit a couple times a year.

Best of Luck

Ty

Thanks for all the replys. We are still waiting to hear back from Garmin about the job. I have my fingers crossed.

Neal