Anyone Change Converters From Precision To 9.5" PTC?

From what I heard, some old school factory GM transmission engineer knew about this and told Chris or somebody about it.

Actually this was figured out by trial and error. Weve since been able to get almost any code vb to work well.

So is anyone running the BRF valvebody with the PTC and shifting around 5700-5900, doesn't sound like it right? I can't live with 52-5300rpm with a roller cam, that's a huge waste.

Wow, this turned out to be a bigger drop of $$ than I thought though, what a surprise. :cool:

BTW, it really shows how sloppy the Precision is in 1st and 2nd until it locks up at 85mph. I now see why PTC is making a big move in this crowd.

FWIW, the PTC 9.5" N/L converter weighs 28lbs and about 4 ounces, down 6lbs from the Precision 5 disc.

JakeShoe also sells the KC valvebodies if anyone's interested.

New question, do you need a modded separator plate or can you use the BRF one with the KC VB?
Trying to save some $$ here as $400 for the CK setup is a bit out of reach right now.

FWIW, the PTC 9.5" N/L converter weighs 28lbs and about 4 ounces, down 6lbs from the Precision 5 disc.

JakeShoe also sells the KC valvebodies if anyone's interested.

New question, do you need a modded separator plate or can you use the BRF one with the KC VB?
Trying to save some $$ here as $400 for the CK setup is a bit out of reach right now.
I run the CK plate because it has a hole deleted that i delete anyway and the hole sizing is close to what i use. Ive plugged holes on stoclk plates when i didnt have a new ck plate on hand.

So is anyone running the BRF valvebody with the PTC and shifting around 5700-5900, doesn't sound like it right? I can't live with 52-5300rpm with a roller cam, that's a huge waste.

Wow, this turned out to be a bigger drop of $$ than I thought though, what a surprise. :cool:

BTW, it really shows how sloppy the Precision is in 1st and 2nd until it locks up at 85mph. I now see why PTC is making a big move in this crowd.

Yeah. My 2-3 shift is at over 90mph with a 27.3" tire. With 20% slip unlocked that would be around 75 mph:eek:. You can actually calculate the extra footage you can cover in 1st and 2nd with the PTC vs. other sloppier unlocked lock up converters. If you can leave clean your 330' will be superior with the more efficient lighter converter. I dont bother trying to get a BR to shift that late. It requires a lot of trial and error. Its a lot easier to use a KC vb and tweak it from there to get what i want.

I have a BRF tranny from Lonnie, it shifts right at the 5850 mark with my 9.5" PTC.

Mike,

When it’s done, can you post everything you/Jimmy did. I'm looking to do the same thing. And of course, how do you like it?

Thanks,
Walter

Thanks guys, I'm narrowing this down and hoping to have it all on the street by May 28th. I'm pretty excited about the change and it finally shifting around 5800 with more power hitting the ground.

FWIW Jake Shoe sells the KC valvebody modded for $150 shipped and it sounds like I should get the CK separator plate for it as I don't think Jimmy knew which holes to mod in the stocker VB just yet. Ck plate is like $40 I think so no biggie.

I'll post back how it went.

I just put in a PTC 9.5" with a stock bottom end TTA and I noticed that the shift points when I left it in drive were noticably lower. (around 4500 to 4700 rpm). What rpm do stock short block TTA/Gn's usually shift at for optimum 1/4 mile performance? I hope that I did not hijack this thread with this question. The PTC 9.5" rocks in my application..........

I just put in a PTC 9.5" with a stock bottom end TTA and I noticed that the shift points when I left it in drive were noticably lower. (around 4500 to 4700 rpm). What rpm do stock short block TTA/Gn's usually shift at for optimum 1/4 mile performance? I hope that I did not hijack this thread with this question. The PTC 9.5" rocks in my application..........

I'd manually shift the car 2-3 at different points to see what your car likes. With a stock cam and good springs, it should pull to 5200 rpm or so. You can get the data you need by manually shifting 2-3 and then see how much to change the shift point.

Dusty Bradford here on the board sells the converter. Performance Torque Converter is the name of the company I believe. The 9.5" NL works great in my application. No complaints whatsoever.

Thanks guys, I'm narrowing this down and hoping to have it all on the street by May 28th. I'm pretty excited about the change and it finally shifting around 5800 with more power hitting the ground.

FWIW Jake Shoe sells the KC valvebody modded for $150 shipped and it sounds like I should get the CK separator plate for it as I don't think Jimmy knew which holes to mod in the stocker VB just yet. Ck plate is like $40 I think so no biggie.

I'll post back how it went.

Got it done yet?

Thanks Dusty. I just posted and did not read your reply prior to my posting. I did try to manually shift it at about 5200 rpm and it worked great. Thanks for your converter and great advice.