Anybody doing a true budget 4.8 or 5.3 Turbo G-body conversion?

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
Most of the threads I have seen.... people are still changing alot of the components out on these motors before they put them in the car.

From what I gather.... the rod bolts and the ring gaps are two weak links in these motors when pushed harder with big boost and turbo charging.

With the idea that you want to be able to put your hands on a JY replacement motor (at least shortblock) quickly and cheaply....and not have to do alot to get it ready to "drop-in".

Is anyone doing a buildup with factory stock heads (could use stock 6.0L JY heads), good head gaskets, good rod bolts, ring gaps addressed, etc.... minimal cost on complete engine...... maybe even factory style intake...... just with bigger injectors.... maybe even factory hyd roller cam.

I guess I should say... the only reason I would consider the 6.0 heads (in lieu of just using the 4.8L stock heads) would be to lower the compression ratio... to allow for more boost.

I'd love to see a bottom basement budget motor build on pump gas and alky..... could you get 750 RWHP?

Planning to throw a set of twins or big single on mine this winter if I get the time...Haven't decided on whether or not to fabricate a set of headers or use stock truck manifolds. Honestly, I can't stand the way the stock manifolds look..This on a stock bottom end 6.0L that I freshened earlier this year and have been running NA for a while. Build up is stock pistons, Mahle ring pack, King bearings, ARP head studs and rod bolts, stock crank and rods, stock LS6 intake/throttle body...Currently has a set of Patriot CNC'd heads on it with a healthy Comp NA camshaft and the Comp trunion upgrade...Runs high 6's in the 1/8 on E85 and 275/60 DR's. 3200lb car....If I do turbo it, I'm planning on trying it non intercooled on E85 and see what happens.

i am donig that right now
stock cam
stock 6.0 heads
ls9 headgaskets
arp rod bolts
arp headstuds
re gapped rings
oilpump

the only thing i spent money on is a used vic jr intake

My build is a real budget build. I could build this combo twice for what I had in a set of Buick heads...Not to mention final assembly.

Dirt cheap
stock LS1 cam from 98 vette
pac behive springs
pushrods
ARP rod bolts because I already had them
ARP head bolts
LS9 head gaskets
GT45 or 76mm china turbo
e-bay FMIC
stock truck intake and ported cable t-body
modded truck harness and stock 411 pcm
big injectors e-85 fuel maybe
alky injection

I regapped my top rings to .028 just to be safe

317 heads on a 4.8 or 5.3 your not going to like how soggy it is out of boost
lots of guys running big boost now with stock 9.4 compression or even 9.9 on the newer 05 and up motors
4.8 and 5.3 hold up better to big boost than 6.0 but you can make great power with a 6.0 under 15psi and have it live a long life

Rod bolts and ring gaps not really weak links but they might save you if your tuneup is that far off

stock 5.3 truck cam is real wimpy at least put a 6.0 or LS1 cam {20-30$}

Dirt cheap
stock LS1 cam from 98 vette
pac behive springs
pushrods
ARP rod bolts because I already had them
ARP head bolts
LS9 head gaskets
GT45 or 76mm china turbo
e-bay FMIC
stock truck intake and ported cable t-body
modded truck harness and stock 411 pcm
big injectors e-85 fuel maybe
alky injection

I regapped my top rings to .028 just to be safe

317 heads on a 4.8 or 5.3 your not going to like how soggy it is out of boost
lots of guys running big boost now with stock 9.4 compression or even 9.9 on the newer 05 and up motors
4.8 and 5.3 hold up better to big boost than 6.0 but you can make great power with a 6.0 under 15psi and have it live a long life

Rod bolts and ring gaps not really weak links but they might save you if your tuneup is that far off

stock 5.3 truck cam is real wimpy at least put a 6.0 or LS1 cam {20-30$}

So what do you think this project's total cost will be? I want to do this and I am trying to develop a realistic budget.

I have an iron 6.0 out of a truck with a bajillion miles on it. Got iron heads. That's what's going in mine. I'll use either a th350 or powerglide and I'll do the hot side. Gonna use the GM harness and EFI live to tune it.

So what do you think this project's total cost will be? I want to do this and I am trying to develop a realistic budget.

i have a t76 master power turbo it was 500
oil pump was 100
rings were like 65?
arp hardware was 300
pushrods 70
vic jr/rails/60lb injectors 350
headgaskets were 100
heads were 200 with patroit golds
machine work was 300
6.0 cam was free

those are me ballparking what everything cost.
the fmic is a pte front mount i had already
and the hot side was custom that wasnt cheap.

301504_10150363526826321_734371320_10206095_1623683_n.jpg
301676_10150361273556321_734371320_10182015_1576484_n.jpg

I will update this thread when I get mine together which should be in a month or 2.

Regapped rings to .030
arp rod bolts
arp studs
GM MLS head gaskets
Ls1 241 heads I got for $75
Free 2000 ls1 cam
yellow valve springs
victor Jr intake
eBay headers
No idea on turbo yet
Holley hp efi
Th400 trans
I will post a ballpark money figure too when complete. Shooting for a 9.9 on e85

sweet.

I'd like to see someone do the buildup and use the stock ECU and tune with EFI Live.....converted to the speed density and wideband....

Looks like Black Power is headed in that direction....

Yeah I decided to spend $1650 for the Holley system. For that o got the ecm, ntk sensor, wiring harness, 5 bar map sensor, and the Holley coils. It was an investment but worth it IMO.

Yeah I decided to spend $1650 for the Holley system. For that o got the ecm, ntk sensor, wiring harness, 5 bar map sensor, and the Holley coils. It was an investment but worth it IMO.

sweet.

I'd like to see someone do the buildup and use the stock ECU and tune with EFI Live.....converted to the speed density and wideband....

Looks like Black Power is headed in that direction....

That is correct. I'm learning how to use EFI live right now by messing with it on my Procharged Firehawk. It's a lot to figure out, when I do though I would like to go SD on the grand national for sure.

I know its not a 4.8 or 5.3, but i have a 6.0 w/88mm in mine. Build link in my Sig that outlines everything. I think I'm at $4.5k for the total swap.

BMF's (brad) stock 6.0 is a good converter away from running 9's in probably a 3800+ lb car/driver setup. Very impressive IMO.

Brad's build is very interesting. Hoping he gets a good converter soon. What was the boost on those runs at the track Brad? I realize you were on the rev limiter way before the 1/4....

Now.... how to pull off that routing the DP down and under the car.... and how to retain the a/c.

What is your ground clearance with that pan Brad?

Brad's build is very interesting. Hoping he gets a good converter soon. What was the boost on those runs at the track Brad? I realize you were on the rev limiter way before the 1/4....

Now.... how to pull off that routing the DP down and under the car.... and how to retain the a/c.

What is your ground clearance with that pan Brad?

Yeah I never thought the car would be so quiet with a two foot 5" DP straight to the ground, but it is. I would go as far to say it would be ok for the street in some areas. Guess it depends on how quiet you really want it. I have looked into even adding a muffler running the pipe pass side to drivers side to make it really quiet (this might still happen once street driving begins).

As far as the boost, this past weekend I turned the launch up to 8psi and then 0.5 secs out up to 14psi, holding 14 the whole pass (15* timing and 10.6 AFR the entire pass). This netted me the below #'s.

60' 1.42
660' 6.602
mph 103.7 (in high gear on 6000 rev limiter)

On 28" slicks with 3.70 gears that comes out to 23% tq conv slippage. :(

I'm guessing with 3.25 gears and 5 to 8% slippage a 9sec pass will be no problem. I talked to Bradco and he will be going through the conv to tighten it up. It will be a couple weeks before I get the converter back, as Brad is going on vacation in one day for a week.

As far as ground clearence I will have to check tonight and post back the measurments. The A/C i can't help too much with that, I've heard that the frame needs to be notched to clear in a G-body (only something I've read).

Yeah I never thought the car would be so quiet with a two foot 5" DP straight to the ground, but it is. I would go as far to say it would be ok for the street in some areas. Guess it depends on how quiet you really want it. I have looked into even adding a muffler running the pipe pass side to drivers side to make it really quiet (this might still happen once street driving begins).

As far as the boost, this past weekend I turned the launch up to 8psi and then 0.5 secs out up to 14psi, holding 14 the whole pass (15* timing and 10.6 AFR the entire pass). This netted me the below #'s.

60' 1.42
660' 6.602
mph 103.7 (in high gear on 6000 rev limiter)

On 28" slicks with 3.70 gears that comes out to 23% tq conv slippage. :(

I'm guessing with 3.25 gears and 5 to 8% slippage a 9sec pass will be no problem. I talked to Bradco and he will be going through the conv to tighten it up. It will be a couple weeks before I get the converter back, as Brad is going on vacation in one day for a week.

As far as ground clearence I will have to check tonight and post back the measurments. The A/C i can't help too much with that, I've heard that the frame needs to be notched to clear in a G-body (only something I've read).

6.60's with a mostly stock 6L with an 88 turbo on 14 psi boost with a slipping converter. Sweet.

I agree... 9's are in your future... maybe before you get to 18 psi....

6.60's with a mostly stock 6L with an 88 turbo on 14 psi boost with a slipping converter. Sweet.

I agree... 9's are in your future... maybe before you get to 18 psi....

The car is Kevin's old TSM car that weighed 3550 with him in it. I have 200lbs on Kevin (I'm a big guy) so that takes it to 3750. I'm guessing the iron LS with an 88mm and iron manifolds has at least 100lbs (maybe more?) on the 3.8L w/a 70mm turbo, so that bumps it up to 3850lbs. The only other major difference is the intercooler. He had a large FMIC and I have a 8gal A2W system. 64lbs just in water.

So its very safe to say this pig is 3900 to 3950lbs with me in it. So a similar setup in a lighter car (3000 ish) would have 8 sec potential, low 9's for sure...