First G-body build, Turbo LS1 in an 87 Regal Limited

Chuck, i ordered the Koul Tools getup today, after watching the video demos on it, i HAD to have one. My headers came in, obviously you get what you pay for, the bolt holes in the flanges dont line up right with the heads, so I'll have to modify those. I did get the radiator, turbo, and intercooler mocked up.

I know it doesn't really matter at this point, but that regal you have pictured isn't an 87. Looks like an 82 or earlier.

Chuck, i ordered the Koul Tools getup today, after watching the video demos on it, i HAD to have one. My headers came in, obviously you get what you pay for, the bolt holes in the flanges dont line up right with the heads, so I'll have to modify those. I did get the radiator, turbo, and intercooler mocked up.

The tool works! Glad I have mine.
The headers: What was wrong w/ the cast steel headers? LOTS of users making a 1000HP w/ them.:eek::smuggrin:

The tool works! Glad I have mine.
The headers: What was wrong w/ the cast steel headers? LOTS of users making a 1000HP w/ them.:eek::smuggrin:

The manifolds it the steering box, id hve to get a different style, the ones in the picture were off a 01 fbody. If i was gonna pay for a set of manifolds and then for a set of vbands to weld on, id probably end up spending what i did for te headers (229 shipped)

Yeah now that i look closer at the differences, it does have the older header and grille. I think it may have been a replacement because the original color of the car is white and the header panel is the light blue (under the primer). I have the GN header/bezels/fiberglass bumper and some filler panels on my wishlist. Trying to get the car running and driving before i do cosmetics, the grill was zip tied on the bottom so that needed replacing anyways. I just thought it was different because its a limited and not a t-type

Nice build so far, I like it. I hope that small radiator cools well enough. It seems small and restricted by the FMIC. Again, nice build. I hope to do one some day.

Nice build so far, I like it. I hope that small radiator cools well enough. It seems small and restricted by the FMIC. Again, nice build. I hope to do one some day.

it is a stock size for a 65 mustang, but 3" thick. Some of the guys who build fairmonts/zephyrs and other bigger body cars with similar setups have no issues with this radiator.

Small update, got the fuel lines all done and put the fuel sysem together. All the accessories put on the engine, installed new intake seals, and got that on and tq'd down. Everything clears the headers, barely. I was also able to use the factory power steering feed line from the fbody PS pump, and the factory return from the Gbody PS pump, that was a relief. My next bump in the road is coil location, the front 2 cylinders' coil packs are so close to the header primaries, that the plugs would be touching them when installed, So coil relocation seems to be my only option with that.

got my box from columbia river today and wasted no time getting the hotside done. The headers have 3" vbands, they transition to 2.5", merge into a 3" collector and then into the turbo. Downpipe is 4", straight no muffler. I still need to put the wastegate on there, but need to get the header panel and grill back on before I do that to make sure its not gonna hit anything. Dont bust on my welds too bad!

Wheels came in. Thanks to Eric and the guys at Wike's in statesville for getting them mounted up for me this afternoon. 295/50/16 mt's on 16x8" (4"BS) smoothies.fit perfect with no hammering or rubbing. Just have to paint match the stockers.
null_zps2eb882ce.jpg

null_zpsebf301bd.jpg

null_zps4a46172d.jpg

null_zps4b0559e0.jpg

finished up the Microsquirt harness, just need to get some loom to cover up the rest of the wires. Also made a template for the fues panels to sit on in the engine bay, have some ABS plastic sheet that I need to transfer it over to.

Nice build. Wish I was handy enough to do fab work like that myself. You mind telling me how much you have into this build drivetrain wise? Thanks

Hard to put an exact number on it because I had some of the parts already but this is what it would probably cost you comparatively if you bought new.
Vic Jr/rails and Elbow- $560
Head Studs- $70
Cam/Springs/Pushrods/Gaskets/Lifters/Trays/Timing Chain/ARP crank bolt- $1300
LS1 motor-$6-900 depending on what you can find
GM flaxplate and spacer-$140
FTI converter-$600
TH-350 FMVB-$700
MS2 w/harness- $400
80# inectors- $375
Fuel system including fuel cell/pumps/regulators/fittings and lines- $1000
Turbo headers-$230
Sensors/connectors- $100
Wideband/EBC-$350
GT45 turbo- $225
EMUSA 44mm Wastegate- $60
EMUSA 50mm BOV-$50
Turbo oil feed/drain lines, fittings, adapters- $75
tubing for hotside and down pipe-$250
intercooler/cold side piping-$200-300 depending on what you get
motor mounts and LS adapterplates -$110

Totals around 7600 bucks. It can be done cheaper but Me personally I have about 3500 out of pocket expense on the build

I promise there isnt much fancy work to this. I have little to no welding experience. I bought a $500 hobart 140 MIG welder, and just started welding stuff together. I have mostly harbor freight tools that I use for fabrications (angle grinder, metal chop saw, vice grip clamps, etc) I just wanted something so i got affordable tools (surprising most everything is 3 years old and still kicking) and just did the damn thing. I wont win any kind of best of show awards for my welding and fab, and frankly i could have probably made it look a lot nicer if i would take my time and learned a little more about welding. My goal is function, not form. I saved money where I could, and bought good parts where they were necessary.

I promise there isnt much fancy work to this. I have little to no welding experience. I bought a $500 hobart 140 MIG welder, and just started welding stuff together. I have mostly harbor freight tools that I use for fabrications (angle grinder, metal chop saw, vice grip clamps, etc) I just wanted something so i got affordable tools (surprising most everything is 3 years old and still kicking) and just did the damn thing. I wont win any kind of best of show awards for my welding and fab, and frankly i could have probably made it look a lot nicer if i would take my time and learned a little more about welding. My goal is function, not form. I saved money where I could, and bought good parts where they were necessary.
Thanks for the come back.. Not interested in tearing up my T any time soon for a swap, but always wanted to do what you did here. NA regal or cutlass with an LS. Maybe once when I get my own garage, I can tart learning some things to assist me with the potential build like this .Im all about function as well. A buddy always told me " Chrome won't get ya home" and it kinda relates to having the functionality over the looks.Thanks again and can wait to see it finished.

Thanks for posting. Interesting turbo location. I will eventually get around to doing one of these builds myself.

Thanks for the come back.. Not interested in tearing up my T any time soon for a swap, but always wanted to do what you did here. NA regal or cutlass with an LS. Maybe once when I get my own garage, I can tart learning some things to assist me with the potential build like this .Im all about function as well. A buddy always told me " Chrome won't get ya home" and it kinda relates to having the functionality over the looks.Thanks again and can wait to see it finished.
Yeah there is no way i'd cut up a T or GN to do this to. The limited was cheap to get and i had must less reservations in removing/modding it, wether it be temporary or permenant.