any runners here?

no-nos

just trying to pick-up some hints, like does that 5 hour drink really work?
I need to gain more stamina, i know it takes time to build stamina but any helpful hints will be greatly appreciated.:)

I still run and ran in HS. Take ur index finger and touch ur thumb when running. Make sure they are touching LIGHTLY. This prevents you from making a fist with ur hands. Kinda like ur giving someone the A-ok sign if you know what I mean. Pretend you are running with an egg in ur hand. Relax ur shoulders as well.

Making a fist with ur hand is a common reaction when you start to stress or labor when running. What happens is when you make a fist with ur hand you will start to tense ur muscles up causing you to exert and waste energy.

As you train ur lungs will expand enabling you to consume more oxygen and therefore run longer and harder over time.

Breathe thru ur nose. Your nose is a good filter of air, especially when running outdoors, which prevents you from accidentally swallowing a bug or two. Exhaling through your mouth allows your body to get rid of more carbon dioxide and heat with less effort.

Good running shoes are a MUST. Make sure you stretch after you run as well as before of course.

Stay away from those drinks ur referring to. They will only serve to dehydrate you vs. hydrate you. Gatorade is ok for electrolite replensihing but Endura is better imo. Endura Sports Drinks/Aids HTH.

I started about 2 years ago. I just wanted to lose some pounds and get in better shape, and running just kinda stuck around afterwards. I've done a handful of 5K's, and a half marathon last fall, and am planning another in May.

My best advice, is go to a running shoe specialty store, and get shoes that are right for you. If they don't have you walk in the store, and observe your feet, find another store. Once I got shoes that were suited for me, it was a big difference.

I've never tried any kinda energy supplement, but I doubt they would do anything. Water is your friend.

Don't stretch a whole lot before a run when your body is cold, but lots of stretching afterwards.

Good luck.

Not myself. But, I am around alot of those that do. And ALL I ever hear about it how important the shoes are. Crappy shoes = Crappy experience, and often alot of people quit because of it.
If you check out a runners world magazine, you see reviews on all sorts. Kind of like a motor trend for shoes.

Oh, and I don't think I have ever seen anyone at an event with one of those drinks. If that says anything.

Kinda related and maybe I can get an opinion.

A buddy calls me and wants to put something on his bucket list. He wants to run the NYC marathon, I say are you crazy? He says no I think we can do it. I told him I drive 26 miles and I get tired.....lol.

We are both the same age 46 and he is not athletic but is thin like a runner and I play hockey a couple times a week and am in decent shape, could stand to lose 10 more pounds tho.

My question is can this be done and any tips for training or opinions would be appreciated.

He did say he wanted to do this before we turn 50 but we aint getting any younger.....lol.

Thanks in advance.

Tommy I ran for years but am recovering from a 3rd metatarsal break in my foot so im on the bike for now.

IMO run early in the morning before work. Yeah its gonna suck getting up early but you will be done with the run for the day. Just remember the miltary days (i think you said you were in teh service before?)

As stated before stretch and warm up prior to excercise for a good 10 minutes. Run/jog/exert yourself for 30 minutes minimum (not including warm up) to get your heart in the target fat burning area.

i.e.- you should be feeling it and it will be a strugglebut push yourself dont stop and walk unless your gonna collapse...LOL.

Stay hydrated your pee should not stink or be yellow. Be sure and counter each Cafe con Leche with double h20. i.e.- 1 cup cubano coffe you should drink 2 cups h20:D.

You can eat a bannana 30 minutes before running to help give some carbs.

After a month of running 3-4 times a week for 30 move up to 45 minutes.

Good luck bro give me a ring anytime. FWIW my Wife is a body builder and trainer

Kinda related and maybe I can get an opinion.

A buddy calls me and wants to put something on his bucket list. He wants to run the NYC marathon, I say are you crazy? He says no I think we can do it. I told him I drive 26 miles and I get tired.....lol.

We are both the same age 46 and he is not athletic but is thin like a runner and I play hockey a couple times a week and am in decent shape, could stand to lose 10 more pounds tho.

My question is can this be done and any tips for training or opinions would be appreciated.

He did say he wanted to do this before we turn 50 but we aint getting any younger.....lol.

Thanks in advance.

It can most certainly be done if you want it. If you don't, it probably ain't gonna happen.

Google "marathon training advice" or some such thing and you'll get reading material forever. To boil it down to basics... start off easy, build your mileage gradually, and train consistently. Consistency is key... most people fail because they allow their training to become sporadic.

This is controversial, but IMO shoes are overrated. Just buy a mid-priced pair that is comfortable and you are good to go. The expensive shoes with all the latest "technology" are pretty much a waste of money.

Also be aware that the NYC marathon is, believe it or not, pretty hard to get into. I don't know how registration goes but it fills up quickly.

Since I'm in the military, I have to run. I'm no expert on this by no means but I'll share what I have learned.

Some say not to stretch before you run. But for me if I don't stretch then my muscles will get hard as rocks and the run will be painful. So with that, I say to listen to what your body tells you it wants.

I also try to stay hydrated an hour before the run. I'll drink water on up to an hour before the run until I'm peeing clear water. That's how you know you're hydrated. I also drink water after the run too.

Good running shoes are definitely a must. They say after 400 miles to replace your running shoes. So I guess you oughta start counting.

I don't use any type of supplements when I work out. I've asked about it and have gotten mixed reviews. I have read eating some carbs before the run is a good thing.

Also I have read that it's best to increase intervals of .25 mile a week....meaning next week you run .25 miles longer than you did the previous week.

As of now I am trying to train my body so I can run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes flat. Before the winter hit I used to be able to run 3 miles. Now I'm lucky to break 2 miles due to only running 1.5 miles recently, so yes consistency is key.

I also run my run during my 1 hour lunch break, which also seems when I'm about peak alert.

I only can advise on sprinting. A lot of exercises that will increase you ability to be a quicker runner. Low box squats with a high % of band tension, glute ham raises (with bands once you get strong enough to do them without assistance), cable pull throughs (with bands), heavy sled pulls, Romanian deadlifts (with bands), and box jumps will turn you into a human spring. Thats whats needed to sprint. I have gained about 80 lbs since high school but i dropped my 40 yard dash time .4. I also verticaled 36" @225lbs. In HS i would be lucky to hit 28" even though i was 80 lbs lighter:eek:.

DO YOU MEAN As in the folks that run in the middle of a busy narrow street in horrible conditions risking getting killed by a car & breathing fumes thinking they are getting healty while doing so? those types? :biggrin:

A buddy of mine used to "hash." It's a group of guys that drink beer and have a running problem. They used to run all over the city. If you're interested in getting into running, and you like beer, you could look into getting into one of the clubs.

Tommy I ran for years but am recovering from a 3rd metatarsal break in my foot so im on the bike for now.

IMO run early in the morning before work. Yeah its gonna suck getting up early but you will be done with the run for the day. Just remember the miltary days (i think you said you were in teh service before?)

As stated before stretch and warm up prior to excercise for a good 10 minutes. Run/jog/exert yourself for 30 minutes minimum (not including warm up) to get your heart in the target fat burning area.

i.e.- you should be feeling it and it will be a strugglebut push yourself dont stop and walk unless your gonna collapse...LOL.

Stay hydrated your pee should not stink or be yellow. Be sure and counter each Cafe con Leche with double h20. i.e.- 1 cup cubano coffe you should drink 2 cups h20:D.

You can eat a bannana 30 minutes before running to help give some carbs.

After a month of running 3-4 times a week for 30 move up to 45 minutes.

Good luck bro give me a ring anytime. FWIW my Wife is a body builder and trainer

LMAO,:biggrin: no, no cuban coffee here ( that stuff is too strong for me :biggrin:)
i will be drinking water before i run, I have not been doing that but will do.
i really appreciate all the help guys.