any power gain.. alky/93 vs race fuel and more timing

HouTX87

Hey guys, hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question but I was throwing around the idea of buying a race chip/filling the tank with race gas and turning off the alky at the track to see how it would perform. I know it would allow for more timing. But is the additional timing negated by the fact that it takes longer to burn with race fuel? Any power gains with race fuel vs 93/alky at the same boost levels?

Which race gas? 100 unleaded? 110 leaded? C16?

Get my point? IMO from what I've seen 110 leaded and 93 with alky is about par. Maybe a little favor towards the alky IMO.

C16 is how much now per gallon? Ain't worth it to me.

I know race fuel is expensive. Interesting point you made comparing different octante race fuels. Alky is king for me on the street. I guess what I'm asking is If I run race fuel rather than alky is there power to be gained from the additional timing?

It's not the octane that determines optimum timing. It's the flame speed of the fuel. You can't assume that higher octane fuel burns faster than your current fueling. (if fact, a lot of times it's the opposite)

Best timing is a function of fuel, combustion chamber shape, quench pad shape (if applicable), piston shape, and a few other factors. Advance isn't a power thing, it's a necessary evil.

Last edited: