Any electricians here?

gn1220

Going for an interview thursday with Wachter Electric and just wanted to get some input on the pros and cons of being an electrician. I don't have any real experience, other than doing things around the house, but I would start out as an apprentice in the industrial field and Wachter will send me to school. Full health, vision, dental, 401k, they'll provide tools to start and eventually a company van. The only downside, that I can see so far, is that I will have to take a $5/hr cut in pay to start but I will get a review and raise every 6 months until I reach company scale which I was told is somewhere around $25/hr. This company give raises and promotions according to merit so there is no union crap to deal with. If you bust ass you will go places.

It's a little scary being 32 with a wife, daughter and one on the way and leaving my present employer, where I've been for 8 years, but I'm trying to look ahead and see what's going to be best for my family and me later on in life.

Any feedback?

That's good a company is willing to train you, but there is a lot to be learned. You'll need to learn 240/480 volts 3 phase power, don't let it get ya cause you will dance like you never knew you could ( got bit a couple times myself :D )
I've been a Maintenance Tech. for a while now, had to learn electrical-electronics, hydraulics-pneumatics, welding, plumbing, machining parts, carpentry, building maintenance.
It keeps you busy and the day goes by fast so you're not stuck in one place all day long.
Good luck
Tarey D.

Industrial electrician is a good field to get into. If you get good at it, there are alot of places you can work at should you need to find another job. My Uncle is an indust. elect. and he always has a good job.
I worked as a robotics tech. with a TV manufacturer for 10 years. When one of the bean counters decided to send my job Mexico I went back to school at 35. Now I'm about to graduated in 2 weeks and have already landed a good job in a great field (medical equip. tech.). So don't be afraid of taking a chance. My situation is very close to yours. But I figured that taking a demotion and hoping to not get laid off later wasn't worth it. So I threw my hat over the fence and went back to college for Bio-medical engineering and haven't looked back since.

How is you present job? Sounds like you don't care too much for it. As long as there is electricity, someone will have to fix it.;)