Another "Car dies" thread

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
But serious I'm getting agitated. Car starts up just fine but will either die right away or runs for a second, acts like its gonna idle down but then dies. I have to keep my foot on the gas and kind of feather it to keep it going. It slightly hesitates while I'm doing this. I have no service codes anymore as of yet. Also noticed I have a little smoke on start up if it's sat, but thats a whole other issue I'll deal with later. I'm trying to find an answer through search but no success yet. Even if it could be obvious please mention it because I tend to overlook things sometimes. It's finally nice enough outside to take it for a test drive.

stock maf, with key on FP is just above 40. I took the iac out and was full of grease and carbon, shouldn't those valves be able to be moved by your thumb? THis one don't move for crap. Car idled when I first fired it up to break in but after break in after I shut it off and started a few times it started this. Also sounds like its slightly sputtering when the turbo spools. That's about all I know as of now, I'll check back later. thanks guys

stock maf, with key on FP is just above 40. I took the iac out and was full of grease and carbon, shouldn't those valves be able to be moved by your thumb? THis one don't move for crap. Car idled when I first fired it up to break in but after break in after I shut it off and started a few times it started this. Also sounds like its slightly sputtering when the turbo spools. That's about all I know as of now, I'll check back later. thanks guys

Is your chip matched to your injectors? I do not think you are going to be able to push the IAC with your thumb. Do you have a scan tool? I would really start with the basics and make sure everything checks out even down to the plugs.

Check this out if you have not already.
Quick Reference Page For the '86/'87 Turbo Regals and '89 Turbo T/A

I had an o2 sensor that went bad and made the car run like that. Also, have you changed the fuel filter lately?

Ok here's the deal. new o2, fuel filter new half tank of fresh gas, all new wires plugs the hole deal. I actually went out to the garage and took a good note of EXACTLY what it does. Dead cold after work, ok the bar too:biggrin: I went out and started it. Fired right up held rpm and slowly starts to idle down like any other car does when you start it cold. Idles perfect for about 10 seconds or so then dies. Kind of thought the fuel pump wasn't running after it starts but that doesn't seem to be the case cause when I went to hook my fuel gauge up there was still lots of pressure in the rail. I know that don't say much but I've had cars run with a fuel pump that barely worked on a warm day. I tried unplugging the MAF and started it, did the same thing, died. Maybe I'll go pull a plug. It can't be anything that difficult. I set the cam sensor according to the instructions on gnttype.org It said to back it off until voltage starts to drop and lock it down so that's what I did.

You really need a scantool... and see what the numbers are saying.... The IAC motor may not be working properly....There are several other reasons (as previously suggested)... that might also be the problem. We can give guideance... but it is kind-of "poke-and-hope" if you don't have scantool numbers to look at.

What are your scan numbers? If you don't have a scan tool, borrow one or buy one before you keep dumping money into that money pit we call a turbo regal. :cool: It's hard to fix the car if you don't know what's wrong.
Trust me, you'll be better off in the long run.

Yeah I know just haven't got the money for such luxuries right now:( :mad: . I think I might try getting it down to the shop I used to work at and have them look at it. Scared to drive a car 10 minutes away that won't idle though. Give me a good excuse to get on it a little I guess and drive down the road holding gears at 3 grand like the local idiots do around here. ;)

car crazy

I had a prob like this it was the TPS it had a hair line crack in it I was going ouy of my mind try unplugging it,you may have to just touch the pedal to open the throttle plate this should put the car in a limp mode if needed PM me your # and I can walk you threw a couple of basics to check with a volt meter to get it going let me know Dan

I had the same problem. Mine turned out that I had the chip selection wrong on my Maft Pro. What chip and injectors are you running? When it is running try tapping the MAF and see if stumbles then.

Everyone says it sounds like IAC

Is it a possibility the computer needs to relearn itself? I bought the injectors from a board member said they were stock. I would ASSume they would be for 40 bucks shipped. I do have a aftermarket 93 chip for stock injectors should I swap that in and see if it cures it. I started it up today and it held idle for the 30 seconds I had it running(had to move it to make room for wifes hot rod grand am;) ) I'm sure it was ready to die though. It's weird because it runs fine for about 30 seconds after its started and then just dies or it will idle up and down trying to run but it usually dies anyway. It has a dead spot when you stab the throttle too. Fricken snowed hellatiously here so I won't be taking it anywhere for a while beings it has bald tires, slippin tranny, and a posi rear that works kick ass! Yes I did take it out for a drive, I must say "holy sh#t!" You guys weren't lying they are fast! Night and day from that slow camaro I had and my brothers slow 95 TA:biggrin: Even though I have had a very hard time with this car after that drive it was well worth all the headaches and finding out what ELSE is wrong with it. I think I changed my friends mind after that ride was over. He says damn this thing gets up and goes and I said "that was just halfway, we'll get down to the back road and I'll let it rip and see what it does, even with a bad tranny and running a little crap still kinda scared me but made me :smile: :biggrin:

Oh and one more thing, I let it die at a stop sign and it popped out the exhaust when I started it. Also sprung a code 31?