Android Apps!

PdaNet
From the Verizon website on Hotspot: Can I use my existing email and web for smartphone plan to access this functionality?
No, the 3G Mobile Hotspot functionality is an additional optional feature that will have a $40 incremental cost with a 5GB data allowance with $0.05MB overage rate.

I just looked at their website. It's $15.95 right now for one license. Unlimited updates. So it looks like for one upfront fee of $16, you can use the smartphone as a WIFI connection to your laptop. I'm thinking that could be useful when there is no access for my laptop. V8Killer's shop has no internet access and plenty of times we have wanted to look something up on Alldata.

ok, what does PDAnet do?

PDAnet works via usb or bluetooth (though I can't BT to work). You connect it to your laptop and it uses software on the PC to communicate with your phone.

It passes all data requests through the radio in the phone BUT because the phone isn't making any requests itself, it doesn't trigger the Verizon "hello, you need to pay 25 bucks a month" or whatever.

The only clue your provider would have that you are doing this is a HUGE amount of data being used, more than just surfing, etc on your phone.

I have heard of people doing 10+ gigs a month via pdanet but I try not to.

If you root your phone, you can use 'wireless teather' and it sets up a free ad-hoc wireless network on your phone that other wireless devices can connect to and you don't have to pay the carrier extra money :)

I'm rooted and played around with wireless teather, but because it's usually just me on the laptop...I prefer to PDAnet.

My kid plays Angry birds on my phone.

I like Speedometer.. that is cool if you walk, run or drive. it can record your speed, milage & time trips and gives you all types of stats, gps location, sea level, etc etc

Which Speedometer is it? There are 63 listed!

Tikl touch-it turns your phone into a walkie talkie like Nextel but only with others with Tikl touch installed..I also use callblocker gold to block any unwanted calls..Also "caller id faker"is great to call people and put any number you want to show up and you can change your voice too.

tubemate

this is the best one so far for me, it allowes you to download any youtube video to your phone.. ive been downloading bunch of music videos and a few of grand nationals at the track. its way better then waiting on a video to buffer while streaming.

My phone is now running slow and battery life sucks. The advanced task killer app I got ain't helping either. Any ideas?

Subscribed!! My new Droid X is on it's way!! I see a whole lot of apps I need right off the bat!!:wink:

Thanks,

apps

I like the one where I call a number and talk (converse) with someone else. It is amazing!

Tethering
a video player that will play all types of video files ( I like to have movies on my phone)
Don't install a task killer. It doesn't do anything but get in the way on 2.2 and up
Facebook :D
Bar code scanner
Vaulty for securing pictures that maybe you don't want everyone to see, like if you're doing a secret car build.

Media Remote - Free remote control for your wi-fi enabled Sony BluRay player.

DragTastic - Reaction time practice...sport & pro trees...Paid app ($0.99) supports red light timer + stats records.

My phone is now running slow and battery life sucks. The advanced task killer app I got ain't helping either. Any ideas?

Kevin, try task manager app by rhythm software..works great with my evo. You also have to set up most of your apps on auto kill. This app displays your memory that's available and kills apps every ten seconds. And right after your screen goes blank. I can go a whole day with out charging my phone. Oh and it also has a widget that you can put on your main screen and kill apps by one quick touch and free up memory.

How can i put movies on my evo, guys with the iphone have this so simple with I tunes, I dont care if i have to pay. But android needs a movie music store like I tunes