Alternatives for securing vacuum lines?

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
I know some put tiny zip ties on their vacuum lines. I have heard put hairspray on them before connecting the vacuum line. What other tricks are out there?

I need to do something, but really don't like the little zip ties.

I haven't done it, but I've been wanting to try putting a piece of shrink wrap over the hose. It works well for radiator hoses, but I'm not sure if the electrical type shring wrap creates enough clamping force to do any good.

put on all the chemicals/glue you want, but you can't visually inspect them reliably. If the glue is breaking down, how would you know? If you tug on the hose to check it, did you break the glue?

Put on a tiewrap and you can visually check that its still secure. It might look a little ugly to some, but its better than a bent or blown gasket...

Or do both....

Nothing wrong with black zip ties. Just index them properly when you put them on to avoid showing the locking end. The zip ties don't look at all bad when put on neatly and trimmed accordingly.

In addition to the hair spray that I use (for the car...not me, I don't have enough hair left to worry about) LOL, I use Stainless Steel Safety Tie Wire & install it with Safety Wire Pliers. Never had a line blow off yet!

image_17156.jpg

dave

hello; I'm a fan of zip ties and used them on alot on things from home and garden to auto and hobbies. When I can find them I use the ties with a metal reatiner lip instead of plastic.
IBBY

It is a tool that tightens a zip tie and cuts off the tail after it is tight. It has a lot of adjust ability for the amount of tension and the razor like cutting blade cuts it so that there are no exposed sharp edges on the finished zip tie.

Zip ties here as well. Push locs arent in my budget as of late but they will be the eventual fix for me.

turbo nasty said:
Zip ties here as well. Push locs arent in my budget as of late but they will be the eventual fix for me.

I have some pushlocks in a kit for the GN. Let me know and we maybe able to work something out.

I also prefer this to zip ties. Only down side is drawing blood if you are not careful when working under the hood...

1KWIKSIX said:
In addition to the hair spray that I use (for the car...not me, I don't have enough hair left to worry about) LOL, I use Stainless Steel Safety Tie Wire & install it with Safety Wire Pliers. Never had a line blow off yet!

dave

I bought a silicone hose kit & it came w/ color coded zip-ties:) I have the silver/grey lines & zip-ties are lt. grey; they blend in perfectly. I think it was Hose Techniques, not sure they have the silver anymore:(
I also have one of the cheepo zip tie guns & then melt the end with one of those extended butane lighters,
saves on the blood!
D o_O

I also prefer this to zip ties. Only down side is drawing blood if you are not careful when working under the hood...

Don't use dikes to cut the remainder off. An electrician showed me a trick: If you take a pair of regular pliers, grab close to the "buckle" part and twist off, it will stretch the tie and when it snaps the end goes back inside the buckle. No more razor sharp edge.

Don't use dikes to cut the remainder off. An electrician showed me a trick: If you take a pair of regular pliers, grab close to the "buckle" part and twist off, it will stretch the tie and when it snaps the end goes back inside the buckle. No more razor sharp edge.
:eek:genius!