Alternatives for securing vacuum lines?

Don't use dikes to cut the remainder off. An electrician showed me a trick: If you take a pair of regular pliers, grab close to the "buckle" part and twist off, it will stretch the tie and when it snaps the end goes back inside the buckle. No more razor sharp edge.

You obviously have better quality ties than I do..... I am almost certain.... mine will break if I try that...... some more of the made in china cr@p I am sure.....

It's something that probably needs to be see. You grab the tie with pliers and twist the pliers (like a safety wire tool) until the tie breaks off. When done, you'll have a small point on the tie where it was broken You don't need a strong tie to be able to do it.

I haven't done it, but I've been wanting to try putting a piece of shrink wrap over the hose. It works well for radiator hoses, but I'm not sure if the electrical type shring wrap creates enough clamping force to do any good.

What about the adhesive lined shrink wrap?

WallyWorld, Advance Auto, A/Z all have 'em (in Houston, anyway...)
Pretty easy to find & really nice to have
(& don't forget to torch the little left-over spike w/a butane lighter or soldering iron :mad:) That sumBich'll bite 'cha!
D o_O