All Tech Gurus......

automorph

I was talking to some guy last night about engines and something came up about crankcase pressure and this is what I was thinking of doing...... It has been done with other motors and it is pretty basic.

1. Have 2 breather fittings on both valve covers
2. 2 hoses to downpipe/exhaust area
3. 2 oneway checkvalves somewhere near hoses

The point is when pressure builds, check valves open and gases leaving downpipe create suction (paintgun effect), inturn removing crankcase pressure.

Whaddathink?? Any gains, pros, or cons????

Thanks
Andy

Like a vacuum pump? That seems to work, there are a couple of users of those on here.

I think coventional wisdom would suggest you need some kind of pump for this to work on a TR......there is so much backpressure in the exhaust system because of the turbo, there isn't enough velocity to "scavenge" properly....actually, the GM guys prolly had it right with the vent into the turbo (except for the oil prob...)

What is the benefit of removing crankacase pressure? Better sealing of rings? i have a oil and a passenger side breather.

a pressurized crankcase can cause all kinds of evil stuff, including blow by.....also makes it harder for the pistons to do their up & down thing due to unnecessary air pressure against 'em