All‐new Ultra High‐Flow CEA turbine wheels announced

That's a good question.
What does that T with the TE45A run?

That's a good question.
What does that T with the TE45A run?

Havent had it to the track but I think it spools up a lil slow the way it is. Should be going next week Spent all summer getting the Mega Squirt3 set up and running.

Also the first few passes will be around 22#s boost not pushing it real hard just want to make sure this mega squirt is gonna do it's thing. I believe this will be the first instance of a MS equipped TR goin down the 1/4 mile.

I know you guys understand that he always lets us know when the new stuff hits the market. If he leaks info, it could cost him his job! Give them a break, they could just stop making the Buick housing and make us switch to 4 bolt housings, external gates, and v band downpipes. So if you look at it that way, the $550 upgrade is Cheap if you "think" you will "need" the CEA turbine.

I know you guys understand that he always lets us know when the new stuff hits the market. If he leaks info, it could cost him his job! Give them a break, they could just stop making the Buick housing and make us switch to 4 bolt housings, external gates, and v band downpipes. So if you look at it that way, the $550 upgrade is Cheap if you "think" you will "need" the CEA turbine.

I'm not sure my question was understood.

My "old tech' turbo was purchased by my builder in mid/late August, just a month prior to the release of this new technology.

I paid top dollar for "old" technology.

So, my question is: "Do the new turbos cost as much as a recently purchased "old tech" turbo with the $550 upgrade installed?" :confused:

If so, that's fine.

If not, I'm going call to BS.

I ask any of you to explain to me how my logic is somehow wrong?

I'm all for company's making a profit and I'm even more for advances in technology.

I also know that many companies telegraph the technological advances and then discount the older stuff a few months in advance of the release of the new "latest and greatest" tech, helping them move "old stock" off the shelves.

My builder and I have talked about this situation and have come to an agreement as to whether or not our goals for the build were met.

I'm not unhappy with the results at all, however, early in this thread I asked to be told of information as it became available. I thought I was pretty decent about it.

The posts in this thread indicate that many were PM'd with possible remedies. I'm not one of those people.

I only know what I've read here because, well, I don't really know why that is.

I do find it somewhat disappointing though.

That's my 2 cents. I've said my piece and I'm done with all of this now.

I'll live with what I have because my car still kicks f**ing ass anyhow!

I'm not sure my question was understood.

My "old tech' turbo was purchased by my builder in mid/late August, just a month prior to the realease of the new technology.

I paid top dollar for it.

So, do the new turbos cost as much as a recently purchased "old tech" turbo with the $550 upgrade installed? :confused:

If so, that's fine.

If not, I call BS.

How is that logic wrong?

My builder and I have talked about this situation and have come to an agreement as to whether or not our goals for the build were met.

I'm not unhappy with the results at all, however, early in this thread I asked to be told of information as it became available. I thought I was pretty decent about it.

The posts in this thread indicate that many were PM'd with possible remedies. I'm not one of those people.

I only know what I've read here because, well, I don't really know why that is.

I do find it somewhat disappointing though.

That's my 2 cents. I've said my piece and I'm done with all of this now.

I'll live with what I have because my car still kicks f**ing ass anyhow!

I am with you. I paid list price for a DBB 6765HP. No reply from my PM to Patrick and if you go to the Precision website, the turbos are priced the same as the new technology. So why $550 + shipping both ways to upgrade? Needless to say I am not happy about it.

"Specifically engineered to produce massive power gains over older turbine wheel designs, usage of Precision’s new CEA wheels typically results in an average increase of 30‐45 horsepower over comparably sized standard designs."

The comp wheel is still the same CEA as before, you guys are only missing out on the new exhaust wheel. What's hard to believe is that the GN community could gain 30-45hp on just an exhaust wheel, this is why I asked earlier about the wheels. I'd imagine you guys are only missing out on 20hp if it was 65 vs 66 exhaust wheel. See what PTE says concerning our platform and the new wheels for true hp gains. Not worth getting worked up over it though, you can't buy something until it's released.

Just offering my .02.

I work in the music industry, specifically music GEAR, like amps, guitars, drums, PA, cymbals, etc..all sales. When we have a new product release coming up, it's usually hush-hush until the release date, per the MANUFACTURER'S requirements. If we know we're about to have all the NEW stuff come into stock, we'll sometimes offer a sale on the older stock to move through it, and the customers (dealers) usually 'understand' that there will be something to replace it soon. Don't know if this helps, but sometimes a vendor simply cannot talk about new product before a particular date, or his ass is on the line.

With that said..I'm very interested to see what an upgrade from the TE45a may be..I know this thing is old as hell, although still a proven turbo.

"Specifically engineered to produce massive power gains over older turbine wheel designs, usage of Precision’s new CEA wheels typically results in an average increase of 30‐45 horsepower over comparably sized standard designs."

The comp wheel is still the same CEA as before, you guys are only missing out on the new exhaust wheel. What's hard to believe is that the GN community could gain 30-45hp on just an exhaust wheel, this is why I asked earlier about the wheels. I'd imagine you guys are only missing out on 20hp if it was 65 vs 66 exhaust wheel. See what PTE says concerning our platform and the new wheels for true hp gains. Not worth getting worked up over it though, you can't buy something until it's released.

And that "20hp" will only be noticed when the turbo is being pushed. There are alot of guys running slower with big billet turbos and heads/cams than a TE44 will go on a stock long block car. Those guys will see no gain, just a longer list of crap done to the car.

$550 is for the parts and labor to replace your "old technology" turbine wheel and exhaust housing.
I may have missed it but has any 231-235ci engine maxed out one of these units yet? Has anyone ran these times?
Has anyone been faster that 10.50 with an "old" 6262?
Has anyone been 10.20s with a 6265?
Has anyone been in the 9's with a 6765?

None of that shoulda woulda coulda crap either! Has it been done?

$550 is for the parts and labor to replace your "old technology" turbine wheel and exhaust housing.
I may have missed it but has any 231-235ci engine maxed out one of these units yet? Has anyone ran these times?
Has anyone been faster that 10.50 with an "old" 6262?
Has anyone been 10.20s with a 6265?
Has anyone been in the 9's with a 6765?

None of that shoulda woulda coulda crap either! Has it been done?
I'm thinking those old wheels would go .5 faster than you posted. Gn4u2c has been mid 10' on an unopened with the 6262. With higher CR and everything else working together it can probably support 9 sec passes. The 6765 will go at least a .70 if not a .60 in the right hands. I've gone from a 60-1 to a 76hpq on my blue car and gained nothing and that's at 500whp. Anyone who bitches is silly unless you are running the balls off what you have. Anyone who wants me to back to back a pair of them I have the 500+whp engine in my blue car and the 700+whp engine in my black car. Send in your turbos. I'll run the same a/f and timing and get very close boost curves across at least a 1000 rpm span. There will be no bias.

I've tried to get a comprehensive list of times the new billet turbos are running in this thread. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/time-slip-combo-database/296769-times-combos-billet-turbos.html
There are many varying results, some impressive some no better than an old school. I'm pretty sure there are more times out there that people haven't reported. Kind of wish they would so more combinations could be seen and analized. It seems like one thing that holds some times back is the psi that people are running.

I've tried to get a comprehensive list of times the new billet turbos are running in this thread. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/time-slip-combo-database/296769-times-combos-billet-turbos.html
There are many varying results, some impressive some no better than an old school. I'm pretty sure there are more times out there that people haven't reported. Kind of wish they would so more combinations could be seen and analized. It seems like one thing that holds some times back is the psi that people are running.
There's a lot more than that holding them back. Look at the sigs.

Guys have been in the 10's with a ta49. I highly doubt this magic wheel will be an instant 40hp.

Guys have been in the 10's with a ta49. I highly doubt this magic wheel will be an instant 40hp.

Instant 40 hp.... no..... I agree..... however..... I'd bet if PTE has that claim..... under the right combo and boost level..... they can back-up the increase they claim.

Reality is this would likely be in a highly tweaked out combo pushed to the limit of the turbo..... which the majority of the people never even get close to.

So don't expect to bolt one on and go run .3 faster (ET) than your previous best with the same turbo with only an exhaust wheel change.

I understand from Patrick someone with a non-buick setup was running a 6765 setup had one and made some baseline runs at a certain boost (maybe 25 psi.... can't remember exactly)...... they shut it down..... swapped to the 6766 (only difference being the exhaust wheel) and at the same boost level.... it picked up 65 HP.... and spooled up like 200 RPM sooner.

That is not an apples-to-apples comparison I admit.... but it sure does sound like they have done a fine job with the new wheel design. I'm sure the buick 3-bolt design is beginning to choke the turbo down some at this power level......and hence one of the reasons I say it isn't apples-to-apples.

I understand from Patrick someone with a non-buick setup was running a 6765 setup had one and made some baseline runs at a certain boost (maybe 25 psi.... can't remember exactly)...... they shut it down..... swapped to the 6766 (only difference being the exhaust wheel) and at the same boost level.... it picked up 65 HP.... and spooled up like 200 RPM sooner.

That is not an apples-to-apples comparison I admit.... but it sure does sound like they have done a fine job with the new wheel design. I'm sure the buick 3-bolt design is beginning to choke the turbo down some at this power level......and hence one of the reasons I say it isn't apples-to-apples.

I think the test was done on a fully built STM tuned EVO, the boost on the 6766 was a few pounds higher than the 6765 which = 65hp increase in peak power. The turbos were pretty close in power at the same boost. It seems the new 66 wheel was pushed further and the 6765 was done at a certain boost due to back pressure? Must have been in the high 30s low 40s for boost....
I don't think majority of Buicks on here will see the new found potential of these turbos as mentioned by Bison in earlier in this thread.

Datar

Datar,

Here is the dyno sheet you are talking about. STM EVO 6766.jpg

‎30HP and 62TQ at peak is impressive. 23HP and 18TQ Average is no joke either.
Most Buick guys will not run their stuff hard enough to see this improvement.

Here is some more information from them:

"Precision's latest Turbo, the 6766 is finally here. STM has tested this turbo in the "Ricer" Evo VIII for the 2011 race season before we even knew what the turbo was to be called! We replaced our previous 6765 from 2010 and with this new turbo we would have expected a loss in spool, but quite the contrary, it spools faster with a significant gain in power. So far we have topped the charts out at 846 HP on our Mustang dyno with 1/4 mile trap speeds of 167 mph... and that's the number that matters!"