Alky Performance

LM1999

What is a realistic power output from an alky kit (razor) on a stock long block 87 GN Ttop? Car has the required fuel pump, hot wire, scanmaster and will run on 91 octane with methanol.

What is a realistic power output from an alky kit (razor) on a stock long block 87 GN Ttop? Car has the required fuel pump, hot wire, scanmaster and will run on 91 octane with methanol.

75 hp plus depending on boost and timing and turbo so on a stock setup close to 350 at the wheels on a good tune. 375 to 400 on a ta49 or te44

that's pretty conservative;)we've seen stock boost levels shoot to 25+psi,taking a high 13 to low 14 sec car and dropping it to low 12's.

Thanks guys. Since the car has 60k miles I think I will upgrade the cam, valve train and timing chain to Comp's 206/206 kit. I will also add an RJC boost controller and power plate and clean up / port the stock DP elbow. I want a nice easy driving street car that will have good power when needed and I can adjust the boost down to make it wife / family friendly. Is this a good approach? I might have Thumper in Orange Park FL port and polish the heads but keep the stock valve sizes. Good Idea?
Other area of concern is the drive train. New Kirban springs and KYB shocks, new auburn posi unit. trans is great but stock and after checking the threads, I think a good supper servo and cooler should do it. Any thoughts?

Leave the heads and cam alone.

If your doing heads, get a set from Champion or other Buick shop

Cam.. If your going to touch it, get a roller or you'll be sorry.

OK. I know I have to change the valve springs. What about the timing set? I heard the gears are plastic and need to be replaced? Razor, I guess what your saying is at the performance level that I want (low 12's) and stock turbo, porting the heads is a waste of time and $. Correct?

OK. I know I have to change the valve springs. What about the timing set? I heard the gears are plastic and need to be replaced? Razor, I guess what your saying is at the performance level that I want (low 12's) and stock turbo, porting the heads is a waste of time and $. Correct?

Low 12's are a piece of cake. Leave the motor alone.

Just make sure chain has hardened gears. Good luck on that.

OK Razor if you say so -- you know more about this than I do. Just so I am clear.
Cam - Leave alone
Valve Springs - Leave alone
Timing Set - Leave alone
For your alky kits, which do you recommend for my set-up and how much?

You may have to do springs. You can do that with heads on car. But do it if they give you issue. 90 lb springs would be fine.

Alky kit.. Standard single nozzle with 3 bar MAP. 590.00

Considering its a T-top car, I would say probably about half as much power as a hardtop car. :eek:

Just teasin:tongue: