Alcoholism...... Disease or Behavior Choice?

Is Alcoholism a Disease or a Behavior Choice?

• Yes, Disease.

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • No, Behavior Choice.

Votes: 71 68.3%

• Total voters
I've had some good friends I considered to have addictive personalities, seems they are always addicted to something, but in reality I guess they are just weak.

As for the question, I say neither. I don't believe it's a disease. I believe it starts as a choice but can become an uncontrollable addiction. I've never been addicted to anything in my life and it seems easy for me to say get help but obviously is not so easy for the alcoholic. My dad was an alcoholic which resulted in my parents divorce and my dad having almost no involvement in my life growing up, I enjoy drinking with friends but have never craved a "drink". And looking at my friends and their parents, I see no pattern to suggests it is hereditary.

Get mad if you want....

If its a disease, then I have a disease. I have a mental deficiency that makes me addicted to juicy butts and nice standing racks. Please tell my wife I can no longer be in her presence because of her backside:rolleyes:

Behavior....there's a little more there. Disease-yeah right.

I have more than a few family members that have been branded with this "disease" (insert crazy eyes here). Me, my father, my uncle, an aunt, just for a few. Have a few friends also. It's just like smoking. It's habitual. No one is making you smoke just like no one is making you drink. If you have no real responsibilites or anything to take the place of this habit it sticks with you. Soon some isn't enough and you consume more.

People in treatment and this "circle" I had to sit in there had no or very little responsibility. No hobbies. If this wasn't the case it was due to drinking and driving. To those of you that think only DRUNK people get DUIs think again. I was 16 when I got my first one. Had 2 beers at my friend's house and went home. Got pulled over because of a brake light. Second offense was because I was driving 30 in a 35. Cop pulled me over to look at the piece of ass in my passenger seat. Again, 2 beers. I was allowed to go back and get my car after I left the jail. Had to get an evaluation-guess what guys. I'm an alcoholic:eek::rolleyes:;) Please.

This is what I was told: Alcohol is a gateway drug. alcohol and cigs go hand in hand. If you have ever gotten drunk you are a binge drinker and must seek treatment because you are an alcoholic. If you have a few beers every night you are an alcoholic. If you have a beer and then go out to the bar witha few friends you are an alcoholic. If you drink before work/school night you are an alcoholic. Its all just a big money making machine as far as I'm concerned. If it's a disease where's the research for the cure and why didn't my F@ckin health insurance pay the 3,000 dollar bill I got stuck with in a 3 month period that ended up going to collections because I couldn't pay it in full? Alcoholism...please. My whole family drinks. They all live normal lives. they don't beat their kids, slap the wives/husbands, lose their jobs, go from job to job, place to place, etc. But according to these people by definition they are alcoholics also. I'm gonna end this rant for now. Don't even get me started on the dumbasses that think pot is bad for you and will make you insane and kill your dog:rolleyes:

My grandma had a shot and a beer every day of her adult 97 year life. She would have been considered an alcoholic because she drank every day. I'm not buying it. I've gone through a lot of hell due to alcoholic parents and watched one dye with alcohol as a factor. I don't see alcoholism as a disease. It's just an addiction. You want to cure yourself of a disease have a pill or have it operated on to remove it. An addict will pond a 5th knowing his liver is done and his eyes and skin are yellow.

I drink and I'm careful not to make the same mistakes my folks did. When I was young I went too far. Now I can go and have one beer with dinner and be cool. I still can drink too much from time to time but I never get falling down drunk. I'm sure AA would say I'm an alcoholic but I'm not buying it either. I have self control....now street racing, that's another subject.;)

Scientists have all ready proved it is genetic. But they are wrong. All you wanna be tough guys who would shoot a kid for walking in your yard are actually smarter than a geneticist. Why do you insist on thinking it makes you are real man if you lack compassion.

Man this beer is good........... hope Im not late for my meeting tomorrow with two letters in it!!! AA! :eek:

Scientists have all ready proved it is genetic. But they are wrong. All you wanna be tough guys who would shoot a kid for walking in your yard are actually smarter than a geneticist. Why do you insist on thinking it makes you are real man if you lack compassion.
Off the wagon again I see.....:rolleyes: Genes dictate the color of your eyes among other things. They have nothing to do with the CHOICE one makes to consume a drug.

You sound like a President Obama speech writer....:eek: Compassion? Tell that to all the kids that got the chit kicked out of em growing up by their boozing father.

Might reconsider.
Alcohol-Dependence Gene Identified
Although there is no difinitive answer saying if you have this gene that you will definately be alcoholic, it does suggest likelyhood that drinking alcohol would more easily lead to being addicted. There's lots of work with genes being done now. There's probably newer information since this is from 04. There are other factors that lead to alcoholism but this gene is something that can be studied.

It's often referred to as a mental disease. It's basically like any other drug, legal ones included. Your brain gets so used to it and then relies on it to trigger your dopamine receptors or whatever. So afterwards the only way you ever feel good is when you have your alcohol/drug. That said, studies show that someone who has kicked a habit is able to regain the ability for those same receptors to be triggered through other (normal, most importantly) means. With the knowledge and rehab facilities we have today, anyone who wants to quit has the opportunity to get help. It all depends on whether or not a person really wants to; that can't be forced.

People seek to blame anything or anyone for their shortcomings... Oprah gained weight because of a "hormone imbalance";) lack of willpower for drinking eating or anything is blamed on disease. My favorite of these phony diseases is sex addiction. Every time a celebrity gets into trouble the go into "rehab" for their "ailment".... Not politically correct I guess, but this all seems like a crock.

It's often referred to as a mental disease. It's basically like any other drug, legal ones included. Your brain gets so used to it and then relies on it to trigger your dopamine receptors or whatever. So afterwards the only way you ever feel good is when you have your alcohol/drug. That said, studies show that someone who has kicked a habit is able to regain the ability for those same receptors to be triggered through other (normal, most importantly) means. With the knowledge and rehab facilities we have today, anyone who wants to quit has the opportunity to get help. It all depends on whether or not a person really wants to; that can't be forced.
That is the best explaination in laymans terms that I have read yet anywhere. The desire to fullfill that serotonin craving is strong I would bet. Essentially, it's the buzz.

Funny how if u continue to absorb more Marijuana at a sitting you will simply just stay High longer. Alcohol continues to effect ur central nervous system untill u cant stand up. So not only does Alky kill millions of brain cells (And a few motors with over zealous boost:p) but it makes u happy doing it. Of what some can remember that is....:rolleyes: Good read, thanx.

I would have to raise the BS flag on that one.

bullstr.gif

Hey im gonna have to save that image. been looken 4 one of dem 4 a while, and it has a Buick. nice

You guys should research this as much as you research these cars.
Alcoholism has been recognized as a disease by the American Medical Association for as long as most of us have been alive, and for good reason.

What they have found, is that it is a hereditary brain disorder passed on genetically, specifically the dopamine D2 receptor (DDR2) Taq A1 allele.

They are working on a blood-test to identify it, and a treatment for it.

Alcoholism has been recognized as a disease by the American Medical Association for as long as most of us have been alive, and for good reason.

What they have found, is that it is a hereditary brain disorder passed on genetically, specifically the dopamine D2 receptor (DDR2) Taq A1 allele.

Diseases are treated with medications. If a specific medication was developed and given to an alcoholic and was able to rid alcohol from his life then I would entertain it as a disease but would still simply lean towards an addiction of choice.

Absent that, I still believe it's a lifestyle choice. Alcohol is a depressant. So many turn to alky for reasons other then a genetic receptor in their brain. Most all drink for one reason only and that's too get high or buzzed! Lyme DISEASE dosen't make you high or buzzed and you cannot rid it without medication. There are even medication to block receptors in the brain for smokers that seems to help them stop smoking.

There are as many smokers as alcoholics but I don't see the ADA classifying smoking as a disease. Smoking is more unhealthy then drinkning imo and just as hard to kick. Neither will kill you if you stopped cold turkey. And yes, u still have to purchase Beer or smokes and wilfully ingest it into ur body. Disease? It still doesn't appear so to me.

Actually since an 1988 supreme court ruling, Alcoholism was ruled NOT a disease. Which is quite ironic because the courts still make you go to AA. Like I stated before an Addiction is a voluntary behavior AND you can't classify a voluntary behavior as a disease. It's all about taking control of your live. Also a fun fact, In 1994 the FDA also approved a drug called Naltrexone that was designed to reduce the need to drink and kill your buzz, but because of the AA cult. The drug is almost never prescribed to patients.

Tell that to all the kids that got the chit kicked out of em growing up by their boozing father.

I've learned there's a remedy for that one too. Jack that MF in the jaw. It works on stepfathers, should get same results with daddy also.

I see this thread it still rolling............... man this beer tastes good, LOL.