Which one would you choose...

Rookie

Ok, curious what the consensus will be...

Got 2x 200-4R, 2x th700 and 2x 4l80e including stand alone computers in my shop. Been rebuilding GM transmissions semi professionally for past few years. Got a 200-4R behind a customers 468 stroker running healthy after 3 years, so building one up to the specs is not a problem.

For my own ride with a 383 (500/500) and upto 175 nitrous shot, which transmission would be your choice and why?...

4l80e
parts availability
tuneability
just more robust

2004r
lighter
less robust but could be plenty depending on the beating
lack of parts availability
Not as tunable

700r4
truck trans
not even in the conversation to me.

you do you

Yep, I know that 4l80e would be the most logical and cost effective option. Just looking if someone can convince me into taking the hard way, then especially why...

Don't follow your reasoning on 200 - 700 comparison though. Both need some serious upgrades/money to make them work at that level, to start with the input drum, but the availability of parts for a 700 is humongous compared to a 200.

poor gear ratios in the 700r4 compared to the 2004r
3.06 might be nice for a truck to get that load moving but that big jump to second is not so bueno compared to the ratios in the 2004r
then the 3-4 clutch setup In the 700 just leads to smoked clutches as imo it can't get the heat out of that concentrated area. again, just my opinion. good for towing but not so much for a high performance application. rwd cars went away and so did the 2004r. gm spends million(maybe billions) on engineering and I don't think they were wrong.

my opinions. others may vary.

Can't disagree on the rpm drop, still the guys who spent billions on engineering put them in their red two seat flagship.
Can imagine though that the 1st gear ratio of the 200 will work better with a nitrous shot. Next question will be which internals can handle it better. Both are quit fragile when compared to each other.
Concerning 3-4 heat dissipation, for sure in a track race setup, but will it also suffer so/too much in a single shift quarter mile?
Just exploring the options.

once the vb gov combo gets under control the 2004r just needs a billet shaft forward drum to ward of park and six neutrals. maybe some pump mods like a stiffer/double slide spring to keep the volume up and boost valve, rev boost valve a spring to get the pressure up. attention to the direct clutch setup and the band clearance and you are well on your way to a top notch build.

as a side note I ran a 700r4 in my tr in the early ninties and it worked decent but that was because I couldn't keep a 2004r alive back then. having learned a LOT and knowing what I think I know the 2004r is a better option than the 700r4 but it must be assembled with attention to details, clearances are very important.

I haven't gotten to open up a 4l80e yet but from the reading and YouTube vids I can't think that it is anything but head and shoulders above either of your other two options you posted. torque converter would be my hesitation on it but it seems that isn't even a problem any more. plenty of good converter companies putting in the work to have options for this trans.

see the thread on Bob putting a 4l80e in his ride. looks like it is turning out very well.

I have read you have to beat up the tunnel to get a 4L80E in ??

didn't see where they beat up the tunnel.

Ok, curious what the consensus will be...

Got 2x 200-4R, 2x th700 and 2x 4l80e including stand alone computers in my shop. Been rebuilding GM transmissions semi professionally for past few years. Got a 200-4R behind a customers 468 stroker running healthy after 3 years, so building one up to the specs is not a problem.

For my own ride with a 383 (500/500) and upto 175 nitrous shot, which transmission would be your choice and why?...
Look at the ratios in the trans and the fact that's its much lighter,
Alot Less hp to turn😉
Then figure out the tire your on and the rear gear ratio you will run
How and when the power is made.
And your rpm range.
Surface you wish to run
Then you will see the advantages and disadvantages of the units

I have read you have to beat up the tunnel to get a 4L80E in ??
I just installed one, you don't have to beat it up. More like a little massaging. On the drivers side you have to dimple the area for the wiring harness connector. Pass. side had to make dimples for the front and rear cooler lines.

Scott