Alcoholism...... Disease or Behavior Choice?

Is Alcoholism a Disease or a Behavior Choice?

• Yes, Disease.

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • No, Behavior Choice.

Votes: 71 68.3%

• Total voters
Why do people associate the word DRINKING with booze? that is as bad as the word COP. I HATE that WORD! It is OFFICER!

I Drink! but its water, coffee, tea, cranberry juice.

Unfortunatly I have worked 2nd shift since 1983. I have seen a lot of drunk drivers out on the road. Dam scary!

Wow, disease is a strong word for a self controllable action. Ill tell you right now that I do in fact drink every single night. The only nights I dont have a few beers is if Im very tired, or not feeling well. Otherwise Id say I average 3-6 beers per night, EVERY night. I dont shake or convulse on the floor if I dont have a beer, and otherwise dont need it to function. I dont need a beer when I get up the morning, and certainly dont need one at lunch time. If I have to stay late at work or have other things to do in the evening such as a cruise night or something that "restricts" me from drinking, I dont have an issue. Im rarely late to work, and work hard for a living. Its a CHOICE. Am I saying that it doesnt become a huge problem for some people? Not at all. ANYTHING can become a problem. Take the show "Hoarders" for example. That $hit$ insane! But its all about self control, or restraint in this case. Its a daily task. Knowing when to start, knowing when to slow down, knowing when to stop. :biggrin:

Back to my COLD BEER :eek:

I feel this---- It's all fun and games when you get started, but it's like a freighttrain when you get going!!!!
That seems to be the general concensus. I don't doubt for a second that kicking it is very difficult for many.

But I think one could make the same claim for an Opiate, Herion, Meth, etc... In fact I would say that the majority of those who try Heroin or Meth get addicted very fast and find it very difficult to quit. Does that mean they have a disease now? So if I get hooked on Alcoholic mixed beverages its a disease but if I get hooked on crack im just a crack-head?:confused:

So my question is why is it still labeled a disease then? There are many other substances out there. Why this one? Cause it's legal? Opiates are legal for those with chronic pain and have prescriptons from their doctors.

That seems to be the general concensus. I don't doubt for a second that kicking it is very difficult for many.

But I think one could make the same claim for an Opiate, Herion, Meth, etc... In fact I would say that the majority of those who try Heroin or Meth get addicted very fast and find it very difficult to quit. Does that mean they have a disease now? So if I get hooked on Alcoholic mixed beverages its a disease but if I get hooked on crack im just a crack-head?:confused:

So my question is why is it still labeled a disease then? There are many other substances out there. Why this one? Cause it's legal? Opiates are legal for those with chronic pain and have prescriptons from their doctors.
Let me tell you this(my own experience).I had back surgery 5 years ago and didn't take the drugs cause I was scared of them. I dealt with the pain vs having another vice. You are really a slave when you get hooked up the booze!!

Wow, disease is a strong word for a self controllable action. Ill tell you right now that I do in fact drink every single night. The only nights I dont have a few beers is if Im very tired, or not feeling well. Otherwise Id say I average 3-6 beers per night, EVERY night. I dont shake or convulse on the floor if I dont have a beer, and otherwise dont need it to function. I dont need a beer when I get up the morning, and certainly dont need one at lunch time. If I have to stay late at work or have other things to do in the evening such as a cruise night or something that "restricts" me from drinking, I dont have an issue. Im rarely late to work, and work hard for a living. Its a CHOICE. Am I saying that it doesnt become a huge problem for some people? Not at all. ANYTHING can become a problem. Take the show "Hoarders" for example. That $hit$ insane! But its all about self control, or restraint in this case. Its a daily task. Knowing when to start, knowing when to slow down, knowing when to stop. :biggrin:

I'm kinda in agreement with you Neil. I do drink, quite a bit by most standards. I also smoke. The fact that someone drinks doesn't mean they're an alchoholic. I drink so that I can sleep easier. I do have AHDD and some memories that I wish I could forget. I choose to drink but am I an alchoholic? By american standards yes, but by the rest of the world no. I didn't drink for a long time but after several very nasty things happened you have a tendancy to wake up in the night screaming and reaching for a weapon. (no joke either guys) you have a tendancy to try and get the memory out of your head so you can sleep. Just my take on things. I don't drink unless I'm at home either. I'll never drink and drive because that's how my grandfather died. I'm not willing to risk someone else's life (or my own) because I can't stay sober so I won't try. I want no one elses life on my hands because I couldn't stay safe. It will never happen, period!

Let me tell you this(my own experience).I had back surgery 5 years ago and didn't take the drugs cause I was scared of them. I dealt with the pain vs having another vice. You are really a slave when you get hooked up the booze!!
I hear that. I told the Doctor to prescribe me Ibu pro 800 vs. the Oxy (Opiates) and the doctor demanded that he prescribe me both so the day after im not mu-foen him the following day.

I don't know, common sense tells me to steer clear of anything that could not only cause me physical harm but the fear of addiction is real for me and I don't crave them. But I guess I don't crave them cause I choose not to even try them unless I NEED them for pain.

But im sure many have only NEEDED them for pain and then NEEDED them to prevent getten dope sick after addiction. But I firmly believe that the more you consume, the more you want. There is a point at some time in ur life that you must have realized that your consuming too much, either Alcohol or Drugs. Most people think that drug (Illegal drugs) addicts still get really high after a while. They are simply trying NOT to get dope sick. I guess Alcoholics have similar experiences.

I guess the major difference being Alcoholic mixed beverages are consumed socially and recreationally and many function perfectly normally when doing so. I have a close friend that drinks every single day of his life! Dry Martini every morning, afternoon and night. Perfectly respectful when intoxicated. He has three kids, a happy wife and makes a chit load of money! Has a Masters degree and is simply a great guy all the time.

Now my other friend is a different story. Complete azzhole when he is drinking and knows better to steer clear of me when he drinks.

I have another friend that drinks occasionally and can be a great guy at times and a complete azzhole at other times when drinking. Disease? It still does not make sense to me.

Addiction is a behavior and because it's a behavior, it's always voluntary. There's no such thing as an involuntary behavior. So an addiction can never be considered an disease.

Sound like my father-in-law when he was young, it's called denial. My bother-in-law was on your same loop, start with one beer at dinner, next 2, next break leg and sit around all summer drinking, next my sister had to give him an choice of beer and diviorce or sober and married. Lucky for him he chose sober. Sure you might in "control" (or think you are) now but give it time. Between my bother-inlaws family and my wifes, I've be around at least 10 alcoholics. Some bingers, some recovered for 28 years, others raging, some steady workers, others in the gutter drunks. Only common threat is they can't have alcohol in there body.

Every stupid, halfassed decision I have made has had booze in the equasion. I just finally got done with it! They say you need to replace it, I bought a dog, what a whole different pain in the butt!!

Sound like my father-in-law when he was young, it's called denial. My bother-in-law was on your same loop, start with one beer at dinner, next 2, next break leg and sit around all summer drinking, next my sister had to give him an choice of beer and diviorce or sober and married.

Thanks for watching out for me, but Im okay. Im sorry it turned into a problem for people in your family. And Im sorry but I feel you have a distorted view of what is and what is not controllable in life. We have the ability to choose or choose not to do anything we want. Everybody should have the self control required to function. Just like everyone should have common sense. Once again, not everybody has these things that is why we are discussing what we are discussing here. I agree with Carr, "Addiction is a behavior and because it's a behavior, it's always voluntary. There's no such thing as an involuntary behavior. So an addiction can never be considered an disease."

I smoked for 10 years, I knew it was bad for me but I was addicted. When I knew that I would be having a son in March of 2008, I knew I had to change my behavior. Feb 24th, 2008 I quit cold turkey, and I smoked a pack or pack and a half a day. Did I feel like it was an accomplishment or that I should be rewarded for changing my behavior? HELL NO. I knew it was something I had to do for me, and my son, and it was my choice, not overcoming a disease. Just my .02

You should quit drinking for your son's sake too. You'll all be better off for it.

i dont believe its a disease i believe its a result of lack of self control. the lack of self control is a disorder... it could be anything...sex, drugs, alcohol, gambling, eating...

i dont believe its a disease i believe its a result of lack of self control. the lack of self control is a disorder... it could be anything...sex, drugs, alcohol, gambling, eating...

Sex......i wish I had the opprtunity to have that disorder!!! J/K!!!!!:smile:

I believe some people are born with an addictive personality.

If they NEVER use drugs, they will never fall into the addictive trap that is illegal and legal drugs.

Usually these people still have other addictions ( sex, money, cleanliness, ect ect ) ---

I believe some people are born with an addictive personality.

If they NEVER use drugs, they will never fall into the addictive trap that is illegal and legal drugs.

Usually these people still have other addictions ( sex, money, cleanliness, ect ect ) ---
No one doubts that it can be addictive. So can many other drugs. Addictive personality? I would have to raise the BS flag on that one. That is just a lame cop-out excuse that some liberal came up with a long time ago cause it sounded official....:rolleyes:

If someone NEVER tries a cigarette one could make the same claim about falling into the addictive trap. Doesn't make it a disease tho.

Addiction is a behavior and because it's a behavior, it's always voluntary. There's no such thing as an involuntary behavior. So an addiction can never be considered an disease.

Well said:)