Aftermarket Options That Have Come & Gone

Dennis Kirban

Try and limit your list(s) to the time frame of our Turbo Regals the mid 1980s vintage. Just a fun topic to see how many aftermarket features/options you can think of.

Here is a few to get the ball rolling

The nose bra for the front end of cars I remember they even made one for the Regals one brand even had the words Grand National on it. Paint was bad enough from GM why would you want to protect it?

The club for the steering wheel. End result the thief just had to have another tool with them to cut the club.
I still see some used today on cheap $500 cars in parking lots.

My favorite the Yellow Baby On Board sign. Someone made a good deal of money on that simple sign.
Why not put adult on board, or terrible driver on board.

Here is one specifically for the Turbo Regal

The gauge set up that you either had to butcher your trim plate above the glove box or remove it and install this unit.

Cup holders that hang on door panel top edge.:eek: And everybody had the phone antenna on the back glass with no car phone.lmao

Double windshield wipers
Enkie directional wheels
pull out decks
Those plastic tinted wind deflectors for the side windows
Sheepskin seat covers
Talking car alarms
Bug guards

Moonies. The plush doll that stuck to the inside of your window with his backside facing out, that would drop his pants and moon other motorist when you squeezed his actuator.

Last edited:
The Rubbermaid 1/2 trashcan IC scoop (homemade but I had one for a while and it looked cool though ineffective).

Hard installed car phone.
Rear window louvers.
Tinted headlight and taillight covers though I still see these once in awhile.
Fuzzy dice hanging from mirror.
Playboy air freshener.
BBS wheels but they are making a comeback.
Hardwired K40 radar detector.
Chips and proms.

Trucks with the visor that stuck out over the front windshield and the sails that went from the back of the cab to the bed.
Gold Crown Air fresheners
Choo Choo customs Trucks and Vans
South Side Machine Lift Bars
Caspers Electronics had a anti thief immobilizer that tied into the ign module and had a switch for the glove compartment lid. If improper start procedure was done the car would start running bad and die after a small time frame.

Skinny tires on wide rims. Cars and trucks!
Tweed interiors.
Windshield tint strips with the manufacturer name on them.
Shorty rubber radio antennas.
Ground effects.
Neon underglow.

My favorite the Yellow Baby On Board sign. Someone made a good deal of money on that simple sign.
Dennis, those "Baby On Board " signs were made for EMS in case of an accident , it would alert them to look for children that may go unnoticed . Not a bad idea unless they were looking for kids that were not there !!

Feathers hanging from rear view with roach clip
TPI swaps in hot rods was high tech
Those directional wheels
Air shocks in the back

20 + inch wheels

rap music pumping loud.

awful body effects and paint schemes.

wait, i’m thinking 10 years from now.

carry on.

D

curb feelers, lots of factory aqua blue painted cars in late 80's. Gold crown air freshener in the rear window came later i think

I thought we all used roach clips to hold the adjustable actuator rod on as a quick release when we used rod adjustment as a method to control boost lol.

7th Injector, hehe.

Visors for the top of the windshield, usually on trucks.

Louvers on the back windows of F-Body's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Sunshades for the windshield made of card board with Garfield character on one side and the other side that said call help need emergency vehicle or police something like that. And also don't think the put ash trays on the back of the seats anymore.