adding methanol while engine is hot?

qwks6

Boost junkie
I just thought about it yesterday... before I start her up I always top off the meth. Do any of you ever use so much you need to add it while the engine is hot? I don't think I'd be comfortable unless I pumped it in. As is, I just pour into a funnel.

Anyway, I was just curious.

I do it all the time...I have a 2.5g jug with a pour spout I use.

I do it all the time also and have it hit the downpipe before accidently :eek: no real issues yet though although I do try and be careful.

That's what I'd be scared of, hitting the dp and not really seeing much of a flame...

I thought about a small jug, but I have never had a problem running out. I also don't take it to the track much.

I think I'll stick to my method... Thanks for the responses.

i also add while the motor is hot. i have to add alot at the track. then again my car drinks alot of alky

Alky

Why would you even consider putting your alky tank so close to an ignition source, pretty stupid if you ask me. Think about what could happen if you got in a wreck, and were trapped in the car. :eek:

Please educate me/us. The flash point on methanol is 52degrees F and the flame point is 860. Will methanol ignite if spilled on a hot downpipe? If this does happen, my research tells me that it can be put out with just plain water, correct?

Throw a smoke in a pail of Meth & it goes out. If so concerned then put the tank in the trunk but then what if your rear ended by a semi trailer?
Hope you dont have gas in the car either!

Being careful is good but being paranoid of the possibilities of bad things in life isn't good. I work with these chemicals (well used to, my guys do now) including Xylene, Laquer etc & I am more worried about the side affects on the body than any fire caused by them.
Fire is a one in a million Longshot but the cancer effects are a real threat to those who don't properly protect their lungs & skin.

Throw a smoke in a pail of Meth & it goes out. If so concerned then put the tank in the trunk but then what if your rear ended by a semi trailer?
Hope you dont have gas in the car either!

Being careful is good but being paranoid of the possibilities of bad things in life isn't good. I work with these chemicals (well used to, my guys do now) including Xylene, Laquer etc & I am more worried about the side affects on the body than any fire caused by them.
Fire is a one in a million Longshot but the cancer effects are a real threat to those who don't properly protect their lungs & skin.

Yes, alcohol can be VERY damaging. It has been known to damage one's liver, relationships and causes you to dance with ugly women/men.

Exactly I worry more about it spilling on me.... Ive *knock on wood* never had it light on fire on me before...

Fire is a one in a million Longshot but the cancer effects are a real threat to those who don't properly protect their lungs & skin.[/QUOTE]

And I bet you tell the tech at the race track that you have water in the coolant overflow, your coolant resevoir is not an approved fuel cell. Nor is it properly mounted, or far away enough from ignition sources to pass tech. And yes when it comes to safety I do become a little parinoid, it's when you put the small things aside something stupid happens. My 64 GTO race car runs 8.40 N/A @ 165MPH, I have Halon fire supression unit in it for both under hood and in the driver compartment. Ask Arnie Beswick and Bob Motz about fire safety, both those guys got burnt up pretty bad, spent months in the hospital, and are scared for life. Both are lucky to be alive. Can you imagine the pain they suffered. Arnie's car blew up on the return road after he took off his helmet and gloves and unzipped his jacket. You shouldn't chastize me for being a little parinoid, you could learn something.

Yes, alcohol can be VERY damaging. It has been known to damage one's liver, relationships and causes you to dance with ugly women/men.

^^^ LMAO:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::p

i add it all the time when hot.... on the PowerTour the car tends to drink a lot more alky for some reason:confused::confused::confused:

just be careful.... i use a funnel with the spill guard at top and im old enough to know how to pour w/o dumping fuel on my downpipe.... i'm pretty good at filling my lawn mower too:rolleyes: .... although sometimes i have a few drips:redface:

And I bet you tell the tech at the race track that you have water in the coolant overflow, your coolant resevoir is not an approved fuel cell. Nor is it properly mounted, or far away enough from ignition sources to pass tech. And yes when it comes to safety I do become a little parinoid, it's when you put the small things aside something stupid happens. My 64 GTO race car runs 8.40 N/A @ 165MPH, I have Halon fire supression unit in it for both under hood and in the driver compartment. Ask Arnie Beswick and Bob Motz about fire safety, both those guys got burnt up pretty bad, spent months in the hospital, and are scared for life. Both are lucky to be alive. Can you imagine the pain they suffered. Arnie's car blew up on the return road after he took off his helmet and gloves and unzipped his jacket. You shouldn't chastize me for being a little parinoid, you could learn something.

Interesting...When I got my kit it had a letter from the NHRA about how it was legal in competition...If they thought it was a safety hazard I doubt they would do that.

Guess thats why there is a firewall on the car in case of an engine fire. Power steering fluid, transmission fluid, brake fluid, engine oil, and yes gasoline are all flammable. Actually so is the plastic stuff as it will all catch on fire. Even the electrical..

On a race car that travels at 160 MPH, made of tin with limited padding.. yes.. get a cell for everything.

It takes a lot to get methanol burning. Typically an open fire source. If you have an open fire source, everything is going to ignite.

About a year ago a buddy on his GN had his oil cooler line hit the external wastegate blow down. The oil line burst catching on fire.. right next to the filled alcohol tank.. Chared the wiring, chared the alcohol tank, chared the hoses and electrical.. a few minutes burning before finally being put out. The alcohol tank right next to the fire the cap melted on it. No fire.

I have pictures of a car that burned down due to an engine fire cuased by gasoline.. methanol tank is the only thing that survived.

Lucky? maybe so. Point is its not as flammable as other liquids.

Yes Collin, we have NHRA thumbs up :D And any car that runs the speed.. should look at improving safety whenever possible.

And I bet you tell the tech at the race track that you have water in the coolant overflow, your coolant resevoir is not an approved fuel cell. Nor is it properly mounted, or far away enough from ignition sources to pass tech. And yes when it comes to safety I do become a little parinoid, it's when you put the small things aside something stupid happens. My 64 GTO race car runs 8.40 N/A @ 165MPH, I have Halon fire supression unit in it for both under hood and in the driver compartment. Ask Arnie Beswick and Bob Motz about fire safety, both those guys got burnt up pretty bad, spent months in the hospital, and are scared for life. Both are lucky to be alive. Can you imagine the pain they suffered. Arnie's car blew up on the return road after he took off his helmet and gloves and unzipped his jacket. You shouldn't chastize me for being a little parinoid, you could learn something.[/QUOTE]

I always say its Methyl Hydrate & pass tech at NHRA & IHRA tracks everytime.