? about port matched intakes..

streetknight

DCVING
I'm getting some ported irons for the TR, probably Champions. I know they offer a CNC ported intake to go with the heads, but I don't understand how they do this without knowing if the block has been decked or what thickness head gaskets are being used.

Can someone clear this up for me please?

Its ported not milled so therefore it it is no different in size externally than a standard intake..Its just hogged out on the inside....

Because they port them to a gasket and locate that gasket by bolt holes. Unless you are severely decked it will still pretty much line up, up and down. If you do have a bunch cut off the deck, you might have to get the intake milled. Only had to do that once.

If the deck has been milled then its the owners responsibility to have the intake milled to get proper alignment.

Just this week I had 40 thous taken off the intake thats fully ported to match the cut down heads & thinner head gaskets. Only place I noticed anything when holding up the gasket is a little bit at the bottom by injectors but its pretty minor. Just going down to work on it today for a few minutes.

Typically, I will leave about .030"-.050" step between the intake and the head. The intake porting will be .030"-.050" less than the cylinder heads. This allows the user to adjust the placement of the manifold to get best fit. The only true way to perfectly match the heads to the intake is to bolt the heads, gaskets, and intake together, (on the fully machined block) then drill two 1/8" holes through the intake flange into the cylinder heads. Remove the parts, pin the gasket to each of them, and scribe them. Then port to match. Is there power to gained in doing this? In a word.......................NO. But, precision is precision and it surely doesn't hurt.

One school of thought is that the positive step between the intake and the heads will help reduce reversion during valve overlap. Anyone care to quantify THAT on a turbo engine?;)

I have no porting nor smoothing of the ports on my intake or heads. Just bowl ported with stock sized valves. Cam is a old PTE 210/210 on 110 billet roller, running stock rockers. The heads have been milled possibly 3 times and the intake ports sit a good 1/8+ inch higher than the head ports. Car runs strong. Dynoed 595 rwhp and 695 rwtq at 24 psi or so (locked converter). Trapped 126.95 in the 1/4 at Bradenton (forgot to lock converter). In Bandimere once I ran an NHRA 1/2 corrected 10.91 @ 130 mph. Not sure if there's much for me to gain by tearing it all out and port matching?

Would it be possible to rasp out the intakes bolt holes? I realize that that would allow a raised intake port tho.