A co-worker wants to race me at Kansas City International Raceway

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
Have a guy in my shop with an '01 Mach 1. I don't much about or what's been done to it. But he's inviting a bunch of us to go up to KCIR and race him. In his email he had the nerve to add:

If you know of any one else that might beat me down the line because none of ya’ll will let them know. Don’t worry if you don’t show up you won’t be judged, I wouldn’t show up either knowing you would get embarrassed by the Mach

Anyways, I want to show up and even give him a run for his money, but of couse I don't have any race tires yet (low funds at the moment). I know that street tires, as a rule, don't hook very well....however, on the pavement as I have found, if I punch the gas from a dead stop without doing a brake-boost launch, the tires don't go up in smoke off the line. But as soon as the turbo spools up, the tires do break loose some, squeal and eventually regain traction. Also my street tires are the stock size 215-65R15's but they're Michelin Pilot Exaltos, and not "smoke easy" BFG's.

I've drag raced before but not in a TR. I believe most usually stand on the brake pedal and build up boost at the tree and then let off the brake at the last yellow....right? I'm wondering how well i could do if I just left the tree on 0 boost and just stabbed the pedal on the last yellow and let boost build from there. Has anyone done this and had good luck, on street meats?

Are there any other tips you could give me?

Oh...it's not written into stone as of yet but we're looking at possibly this upcoming Thursday July 1 or possibly the next day (Friday) July 2. So if it's a go and if anyone wants to come out and watch....and especially if anyone would be kind enough to loan me some rear drag racing shoes...;)..I'd like to clue him in on that just because it's a Mustang with a V8 doesn't mean it's the fastest thing around.

Mach 1 was only 03 and 04 for that body style to my knowledge...

:redface: You're right. It was '03 and '04.

get some tires, you should have him covered if you dont spin.

Thanks...do you think even though I don't have a line lock that I'd be able to do a burnout on a set of drag radials using the foot brake to try to hold just the fronts?

yup 275/50/15 or if you are making pretty good power (11s) I'd go with the 275/60/15s.

Make sure you have the boost and fuel tuned up to at least 21 psi, do your little burn out and at the line just hold the foot brake on the boost gauge to at least 0 psi to let the torque converter to help out with launch then floor it on the last yellow.

Please make some practice runs first to get the feel.hth.:smile:

Let us know what the date is for sure. think they run on wed and fri night. I will try to make it.

I raced one. If you can do better than a 13.0 you will kill kill kill the Mach.

A 12.1 will leave him crying like a little girl, then the excuse bag will come out.

"I spun"
"It's a ford"
"the color slowed me down"
"my defroster was on"
"your lane has a slight down hill slope"

racing a car you know nothing about can be a very humbling experience :p

YEP, listen to Dan.....You don't go grudge racing half cocked. You need to make sure both you & your car is game on. I'd also say since you have never had a sticky on the car you're not turned or ready to defend the Buick's honor.

Let us know what the date is for sure. think they run on wed and fri night. I will try to make it.

I will keep you posted.

racing a car you know nothing about can be a very humbling experience :p

Understood.

YEP, listen to Dan.....You don't go grudge racing half cocked. You need to make sure both you & your car is game on. I'd also say since you have never had a sticky on the car you're not turned or ready to defend the Buick's honor.

Again understood. However you don't see or hear me running my mouth in an email do you? ;) I'm going to just line up against him and let the car do the talking.

Well its easy These Black regals all look the same :) I'm sure there is a sleeper GN that will knock down some 10.0's in your area. Stunt double / stand in for you :biggrin: Or say hey that's the new guy in accounting ;) he's got a Buick also. whatver you do don't let a mustang win. Got 2 cobras at the shop I work in one is a KB car. It took a few rolling tire infernos for me to convince them to not phukc with the evil Black car.

I like the stunt double idea. That is if you're not sure of your car or the other car and if there is a stunt double willing to let you drive it.

How much drag racing experience do you have? Street or strip!