A co-worker wants to race me at Kansas City International Raceway

I like the stunt double idea. That is if you're not sure of your car or the other car and if there is a stunt double willing to let you drive it.

How much drag racing experience do you have? Street or strip!

I have some. I used to race my small blocked S-10 at the local dragstrip when I lived in NC. Then I sold that and built a big block Chevelle and raced it too. Both vehicles were mid 13 second 1/4 milers. Both vehicles were also street cars with mostly stock suspensions.

The S-10 had 295/50 street radials out back and I had to develop a way of launching without spinning. (hard to get them to hook on stock stuff) The Chevelle I actually had a set of 275/60R15 M/T drag radials on the rear and a line lock for doing smoke shows. I managed to get a 1.87 60 ft on the Chevelle. I know not great but every spectator I asked said they saw zero wheel spin launching out of the hole.

I've not raced in the 2 years I've lived in Missouri. And I've not raced the Buick yet though I've been wanting to.

Yes 03/04, don't know how modded his car is but stock they are a 13.7ish car.
stock? lol! id never guess anyone who had the balls to send an email around like that has a stock car. Thats some funny chit. Both my cars ran about 13.8-14.0 stock:rolleyes:

well went to the drags last night.. yellow (late 90's) Mustang .. pump gas an drag radials .. soft launch .. 9.8 ..I forget the speed.. 85 red Iroc.. stockish looking car you have ever scene. 9.6s @ 141+ .. both cars look like nothing !! Like I said .. I wouldn't get to cocky till ya know what your goin against !! Oh my wifes stock TTA ran high 11s in street trim back in 1990.. Guys would look at it on the street an not give it a second look.. Lots of cryers after she would kill em with a 3rd gen Firebird !! :p Melissa's GN looks like nothing.. Open the hood an ya really don't see to much.. Kinda stock appearing .. 9.9 @ 138 + in street trim :cool: SOOOOO be careful who ya race.. :eek:

...Oh.. Bison .. Aren't they all stock ?? Oh I think it has one of them computer chips in it.:p

Well Grumpy you know I don't act like my car is all bad ass. In fact if people ask me "what's in it" I shrug it off with "just a little V6".

My co-worker OTOH came out swinging before the fight has even begun. So maybe his car is faster, and maybe not. I haven't really even piped up about what I've got, so I figure it like this...he wants to talk smack, so be it. I won't because for one I have no idea what my car is capable of on a track...plus I'd rather act like it's slow, and let the car speak for itself.

But I will line up against him, provided I have all my gear to race....then we'll race. If he wins, he wins. But if he loses, it's him that has to go home with his tail tucked between his legs. Even more so if it happens to be a few spectators from my shop that happen to witness the action unfold.

I raced one. If you can do better than a 13.0 you will kill kill kill the Mach.

A 12.1 will leave him crying like a little girl, then the excuse bag will come out.

"I spun"
"It's a ford"
"the color slowed me down"
"my defroster was on"
"your lane has a slight down hill slope"

Well you do own a ferd after all Dan.:biggrin: Way to easy.:eek:

Especially if it's got a girl driving it. :eek:

See above post please.:eek::biggrin: LMAO!

Well judging from your mods in your sig your car should do pretty well, even with street tires.

I ran against a (500+hp) 2009-2010 Mustang GT 500 in NC and beat him with a little TE-44 turbo on 20 lbs boost and Street tires! We were both on street tires and he spun bad but Oh Well, I cut 1.84 60'....ANYTHING can happen at the line for Both of you. Just go with the boost turned up, Alky turned up and have some fun! My money is on you! ;)

Keep us posted, Try to have someone video it for you, FOR US! :biggrin:

Scot w, what size street tires were you running?

All I have are the stock size 215-65's but they're Michelins that have a pretty good review.

I would accept the challenge only after you get some good drag radials ie; MT 235s, 275/50s or 255/60s. I cut 1.7s on my old 235 BFG drags radials but the MT are much better. Once you get some good tires, go to the track with some local Buick guys that can help you refine your technique and tune alittle. At least going in you'll have a better idea how to go against your rival. I was able to run mid 12s on the bfgs/alky and blue tops with a stock engine. You should have some game with your mods.

Well judging from your mods in your sig your car should do pretty well, even with street tires.

I ran against a (500+hp) 2009-2010 Mustang GT 500 in NC and beat him with a little TE-44 turbo on 20 lbs boost and Street tires! We were both on street tires and he spun bad but Oh Well, I cut 1.84 60'....ANYTHING can happen at the line for Both of you. Just go with the boost turned up, Alky turned up and have some fun! My money is on you! ;)

Keep us posted, Try to have someone video it for you, FOR US! :biggrin:

Scot-- I will have the pre-race on film, the race, and the post race :biggrin:interviews if this truly does happen. Providing they give me enough notice to get the 3.5 hours there :D

Ty

David, when ya goin to the track? We missed ya at the Belton show last night!

Hey Bob...unfortunately I've had to work all this weekend so I've not been able to attend any car shows.

My co-worker was talking about going to the track either this coming Thurs or Fri, no official word yet...he sent out a mass email inviting all of us....and for us to put in the date that would work best...I'm not even sure what night the track is open for anyone to run, I believe I heard Wednesdays and Fridays?

For those wondering I have the boost set for 25 lbs, alky is in, I also have the TT alky chip's timing bumped up to 25/23. (2 degrees over default).

As for drag radials, check. I still have the stock 3.42 posi and BRF trans. I see some say 275-50's and others claim that you'll run out of rpms (unless you shift to OD which some say is a NO-NO during a drag race) and that a 275-60 should be in order. Not sure which to get (I have 215-65's as front runners)

Also KCIR I read requires you to have a Snell 2000 or 2005 helmet...can it be a motorcycle helmet? Or is it a specially made type helmet for auto racing?

(last track I raced at in NC didn't require you to have a helmet.)

275-60 will work best. Any motorcycle helmet will work. They never ck. Also need fire jacket with non stock turbo. They rent those for $5.

Scot-- I will have the pre-race on film, the race, and the post race :biggrin:interviews if this truly does happen. Providing they give me enough notice to get the 3.5 hours there :D

Ty
VERY COOL!! That will be awesome Ty! It will be really neat to have a video of a mustang owner smaktalking and then getting his Arse handed to him.. :biggrin:

275-60 will work best. Any motorcycle helmet will work. They never ck. Also need fire jacket with non stock turbo. They rent those for $5.

Don't think a 28" tire is good at his level. 26 or 27 at the most for now...
Helmets need to be Snell rated not just DOT.

Can they spot a stock turbo vs. an aftermarket one on a TR?

They probably don't rent helmets do they? Or is it even advisable to wear a used helmet?

Does KCIR also check for a driveshaft loop? I read any car running 13.99 or quicker has to have one. Well I guess I could feed them the old "gee I've never raced it before I don't know what it runs" line. Maybe it'll work...? For one pass.

Well if 275-60's are better I'll have to order them...bet it'll take Summit until Wednesday to have them to my door so it'll be cutting it close.

...Oh.. Bison .. Aren't they all stock ?? Oh I think it has one of them computer chips in it.:p

Yeah. Its a stage3 chip or something like that:biggrin: I just lie and tell them my car runs mid 11's. Suprisingly most of the old folk dont even believe that. Too bad they are stuck in the dinosaur era.

Well if 275-60's are better I'll have to order them...bet it'll take Summit until Wednesday to have them to my door so it'll be cutting it close.

Better get on there and order them up so you can get a little practice. Dont be shy on octane either.