A co-worker wants to race me at Kansas City International Raceway

I'm not an expert on fuels but I thought they only made 100 and 104 unleaded race fuel. :confused:

If the 110 is unleaded go ahead and use some.

If the alky. is dialed in you shouldn't need much 100, 104, or 110 to run that boost.

Three gallons out of 8 to me would be plenty.

I would make a few passes at a track to be prepared with your new tires and the combo. to check it out, it's only a $20 practice session.

You will learn how to do a proper burnout, stage and launch, etc. before you have to make the "money pass".

That alone is a big advantage. :smile:

If he's running stock tires and a stick and a mostly stock car I think you have an edge. :cool:

Practice at the track since it doesn't sound like he races at all either. and you will have a big edge on race day, if you win don't give him a rematch. :p

Apparently he's inexperienced so that could benifit you. If he's modded the car some and has stock tire with a stick then he's toast on the line.

I was a KCIR this last wed. any motorcycle helmet,no shorts,no sleeve less shirts,If your turbo is not stock or you have sleeve less shirt.you need fire jacket. Anyone can race wed and fri nights.

well.......... all this chatter............ is the car still in one piece? ;) Im going to guess 12.8X at 106ish..........

well.......... all this chatter............ is the car still in one piece? ;) Im going to guess 12.8X at 106ish..........

Car is in one piece. It ran great all night.
You be wrong. 12.61 @ 109 with a crappy 2 something 60'. The alky was coming in while building boost on the foot brake. I guess that loaded up the car and it was bogging on the line.
When the boost came in that thing moved
I think it has a high 11 second pass in it, after he figures out the launching problems.
Dave, Hope you don't mind me filling in the details.
Scott

Congrats, a little seat time, and a small amount of tuning she has the MPH to get into the 11's.

Dave, Hope you don't mind me filling in the details.
Scott

No problem Scott you beat me to it.

Yes apparently what's happening is I'll get up to the tree, hold the brake pedal down as far to the floor as it will go and step on the gas....the boost seems to go to like 7 or 8 and that's it. And that's when the alky starts coming on. So we're thinking that essentially the engine is getting flooded at the tree.

The third pass I made (when I was up against the LS1 Camaro) was the best pass (12.61 @ 109) and the 60 ft. was a 2.009. That pass the car really felt like it had a good kick off the line. Though I know there's much room for improvement.

So I guess I'm going to have to look into getting inside the PAC and adjusting the controls, after I get some 2 cents from Julio. And then some bigger meats, as the engine was starting to not pull in 3rd at the end of the track.

If your turbo is not stock or you have sleeve less shirt.you need fire jacket.

Yep...what was funny was the track official (I forgot his name) was quick to point out "that ain't no stock turbo" (how does he know?;)) and "you need a jacket for that, that's an extra $5". Yet didn't even bother to look at my helmet or even see if I even had one. :rolleyes: Greg the Car Quest guy also pointed out he was surprised they didn't say anything about the coolant recovery bottle that was being used as an alky reservoir because it wasn't NHRA legal.

Oh well I had fun. Can't wait to come back.

That's a great start! Your tire size is fine. How were you're O2s on the run? The alky shouldn't be turning on until about 7lbs so at that level it should lightly squirting, it really shouldn't flood it. Is your pressure set to 43 lbs with line-off? Maybe taking a very small amount of fuel out of 1-2 might help.

That's a great start! Your tire size is fine. How were you're O2s on the run? The alky shouldn't be turning on until about 7lbs so at that level it should lightly squirting, it really shouldn't flood it. Is your pressure set to 43 lbs with line-off? Maybe taking a very small amount of fuel out of 1-2 might help.

Not sure if my tire size is ok because right as I was nearing the end of the track in 3rd it felt like it was hitting a brick wall. I've heard others had a similar problem and went to a 275-60 tire to fix it.

Yes f.p. static is 43 psi. O2's were usually in the upper 700's, but noticed they were usually under 780. Didn't see any knock on the Scanmaster. Also the one time I was able to glance at my PLX wideband it was in the upper 10's.

I also had the timing set for 25/23 on the chip.

I don't think you can control fuel on the 1-2 shift like you can timing. You can however adjust fuel on 1st gear only. As I was later reading my Turbo Tweak manual it mentioned the 1st gear fuel adjust was to be used for 60 ft's and launching. :redface: Man I wished I would have thought of that last night.

I plan on coming back Jul 23 to try again, so hopefully more Buick guys will be there.

What converter do you have?

I'm not sure but I think it might be a stock converter. (was in the car when I bought it)

You get that 60 ft down to even a 1.8 your car should do a 12.0. Hitting a brick wall could be RPM related with a 275/50 tire, but it also could be valve springs. I assume the car has a stock camshaft in it. There is some sort of alky delay on julio's kit that allows the alky to stay off until the car see's a MPH reading. That should help you leave at 7-10psi without bogging the car. Hell, maybe Ill come out next time....... Id like to make a pass in the WE4 and see what she does........

Yes, valve springs could be the culprit as well.

It does not sound like the valve springs are floating though. Also the engine has been rebuilt before I got it. No the cam is not stock, it's a Poston's GN110T cam 212/206 that's been installed 4 degrees advanced per the cam card.

Of course I have no idea what rpm I was at on the end of the track. What does a 3.42 geared car with a 26 inch tall tire rpm in at while crossing the line in 3rd gear?

I'm not aware of a delay in the alky until XXX mph reading. I know there's a purple wire that when you apply a neg. to it, retards the alky a little bit. Supposed to be used for launching/60 fts. But also is the 2nd adjustment on the TT chip. I've used neither, still waiting on Julio's 2 cents via PM.

Neil would be great to see you out next time.

That cam should be good for 5500 with good springs. Don't know why the would wnat it advanced 4* but I don't that would affect the rpm zone that much. With about 10% converter slip you should be about 5300 rpm at the end of the 1/4 mile. Maybe you should try locking the converter to see what happens, third gear about 80mph.

Hell, maybe Ill come out next time....... Id like to make a pass in the WE4 and see what she does........

Neil, let me know if you and or any other guys make it out to the track. I would really like to run the GN again as I have it for sale and it would be nice to play with it a little before it sells. It's been way too long since I had any seat time at all with my car. But now that I sold my 35,000 mile wagon I plan to bring it home and spend a little time with it.

We had a good time. and there were some other TB guys out there but Dave was the only one with his car.
I've got the bug to get my car out but I'm waiting to get my billet turbo.
I'll come back out if any of you guys go again. The track really wasn't that busy. The earlier the better.
Scott

Kcir

I enjoyed hanging out with you guys at the race. Picked up a helmet this week and drag radials will be on the spare set of wheels early next week. I will bring out the TTA on the 23rd. Should be fun tuning the Alky Control at the track.

Look forward to seeing all you there. Lets hope our rain forest type weather pattern shapes up.

Would be cool to have a bunch of turbo buicks running out there.:biggrin:

I enjoyed hanging out with you guys at the race.

Sorry but I can't remember who you were....??????

I'm out of town for now, then I have an assortment of brake issues to deal with when I get back. :mad: On top of a short notice housing move. :mad: So it'll be a little bit before I can get back out so it seems.