89 MPG per tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please forgive me if my math's off just a little, it IS early.........

60# injectors x6 = 360# per hour
80% duty cycle = 288 # per hour
A gallon of fuel = 6#
@WOT that's 48 gph or .8 gpm

Each time you get into the throttle @ 26# of boost, you burn about a quart of fuel, and that's on top of you normal fuel mileage.....minus those spirited freeway on-ramp bursts.

You never said which Wideband you own, but the Innovates NEED to do a fresh air calibration before being stuck in the exhaust pipe, my new AEM doesn't so I bet you have this one.

But the BLM backs up what the Wideband is reading at idle so that appears to be accurate data.

Rich idle, heavy foot = 10mpg, we don't even know if you've been idling the car in a garage to tune it etc for a while too so that can be a factor also.

What rpm is the GN idling at and in gear?

Sounds like you are right around 8-9 MPG. About what I get outa my truck! You are correct though does not sound right for a :confused:

Sounds like you are right around 8-9 MPG. About what I get outa my truck! You are correct though does not sound right for a :confused:

Was about to say most trucks get better than that but I see we have the same truck so I know.

Check the carbon canister vac lines, I've had the canister fill up with fuel before on a different car.

I get 22mpg's on the highway driving like a little old lady. Around town hammering on it from every red light.... probly 6-10. It really goes thru the gas when going full boost 20 times a day.

Did you fix you PCV valve? You may be drawing in air and tricking to O2 sensor into a lean condition and dumping a chitload of fuel.

Hijack, sorry. My TT chip is supposed to have lean cruise but my af hovers around 14.7 @ cruise. Not normal?

Spoke to Brian for awhile today and we have devised a plan of attack. First I am am going to wait for my new remodified upgraded TT chipm (one I have from TT is set up for w/o alky and bigger turbo), change O2 and check for a fuel leak. I will go from there. Brian stated the O2 should be bouncing from 300+-400+ at idle and mine is certainly not doing that.

No I have not fixed my pcv but I am considering running it back through the intake again instead of exhaust pulse. It's a pain now too. I cleaned my intake and there is a ton of oil back in it coming from that stupid pcv gasket leaking. Grrrrr.

I am a little boost freak too so I know thats playing a bit into the problem but I had a fuel issue before I started modding up too. Always got poor MPG.

I have a stock posi rear.

Lastly if someone could educate me in tuning the car in would be great. I have a MT2500 SnapOn scanner but I am unsure how to tune the car in. Honestly I am not real sure besides trimming the fuel how else to tune this car. It does not have tunable sensors like imports. Besides I thought all of Eric's chips were set up perfectly< just a simple plug and play? Is there any other way to tune the car in besides trimming the fuel?

Your A/F is a perfect 14.6-14.7 when cruising. Idle should be in the mid 13's with my chip. Fuel used during idle is insignificant. So there is nothing you can tune fuel-wise, as it's already good.

The idle O2 should not bounce around at idle with my chip, it is typically in the 750-850 range. It should cycle up and down when cruising. No reason to look at the O2's anyway, since you have a wideband to see the real A/F.

If the BLM is low during cruise, check your Translator settings to make sure they match your MAF sensor. There is also a leaner setting that will bring the BLM up, although it won't affect your MPG, just makes the BLM look better.

I would do the MPG test again. If it's still low, then there must be some external factor. Converter not locking, cat plugged up (if you have one), fuel leak, bad alignment, etc, etc.

Eric

Hijack, sorry. My TT chip is supposed to have lean cruise but my af hovers around 14.7 @ cruise. Not normal?

Make sure you specifically requested lean cruise in your order, because I don't put that in normally. With lean cruise, the A/F should end up in the 15's during a highway cruise.

Eric

"there is a ton of oil back in it coming from that stupid pcv gasket leaking. Grrrrr."???

chip

Like we discussed at the turbobuicknats, I believe the correct chip for you turbo will fix alot of you problems. If your cruise control works, get out on the highway at set it at 70 mph and see what the gas milage is without input from your right foot. (he has a problem with self control, I believe):rolleyes:

Spoke to Brian for awhile today and we have devised a plan of attack. First I am am going to wait for my new remodified upgraded TT chipm (one I have from TT is set up for w/o alky and bigger turbo), change O2 and check for a fuel leak. I will go from there. Brian stated the O2 should be bouncing from 300+-400+ at idle and mine is certainly not doing that.

No I have not fixed my pcv but I am considering running it back through the intake again instead of exhaust pulse. It's a pain now too. I cleaned my intake and there is a ton of oil back in it coming from that stupid pcv gasket leaking. Grrrrr.

I am a little boost freak too so I know thats playing a bit into the problem but I had a fuel issue before I started modding up too. Always got poor MPG.

I have a stock posi rear.

Lastly if someone could educate me in tuning the car in would be great. I have a MT2500 SnapOn scanner but I am unsure how to tune the car in. Honestly I am not real sure besides trimming the fuel how else to tune this car. It does not have tunable sensors like imports. Besides I thought all of Eric's chips were set up perfectly< just a simple plug and play? Is there any other way to tune the car in besides trimming the fuel?

you should learn how to tune the car before you run the crap out of it!

Recently I was getting 10 mpg on the highway. Replaced the fuel filter and all is well now (20+ on highway). Last time I looked into my gas can that I use for my mower, there were black specs on the bottom. don't know where they came from, but I guess after 3 years my filter was pretty dirty.

The idle O2 should not bounce around at idle with my chip, it is typically in the 750-850 range. It should cycle up and down when cruising. No reason to look at the O2's anyway, since you have a wideband to see the real A/F.

If the BLM is low during cruise, check your Translator settings to make sure they match your MAF sensor. There is also a leaner setting that will bring the BLM up, although it won't affect your MPG, just makes the BLM look better.

I would do the MPG test again. If it's still low, then there must be some external factor. Converter not locking, cat plugged up (if you have one), fuel leak, bad alignment, etc, etc.

Eric

My O2 bounces arouns but usually at idle stays at 707 and bounces to 809. it's bouncyness is inconsistant at best. the one LM is 128 but the BLM is 118 according to the scanmaster. I have no catalytic converter and I am installing the 2800 locking stall converter this weekend and replacing the O2 as well. Also just had an alignment before the trip to NC.

Make sure you specifically requested lean cruise in your order, because I don't put that in normally. With lean cruise, the A/F should end up in the 15's during a highway cruise.

Eric

I forgot to ask about that withg the new ALKY chip you sent me. Is it possible to lean it out on my own or do I need to order a new chip for that? I heard that lean at idle helps with MPG's big time. I need all the MPG's I can get. Let me know if it's something I can tune in with my SnapOn MT2500 scanner. OBD I & II.

"there is a ton of oil back in it coming from that stupid pcv gasket leaking. Grrrrr."???

I have the same problem. I just cleaned my upper intake plenum and now it is full of oil again from that PCV. Not to mention smell coming out of the breather from hot oil. LOL.

Like we discussed at the turbobuicknats, I believe the correct chip for you turbo will fix alot of you problems. If your cruise control works, get out on the highway at set it at 70 mph and see what the gas milage is without input from your right foot. (he has a problem with self control, I believe):rolleyes:

Ok. I will agree with you on that. I do have a bit of a heavy foot. But I have been babying her for the last several days so I know it's not my driving.

SIDE NOTE: in the famous words or Ricky Bobby " I wanna go fast" and "If you ain't first, your last".

THe BLM is the long term factor, 118 is maxxed running rich on some chips and cannot cut anymore fuel, what is your wbo2 reading when the BLM is 118?? It sounded like everything was fine from the wbo2 afr.

Also, forget about reading o2 mv to determine if the narrow band o2 is good or not or reading in range..its how many cross-counts it cycles thru in 90 seconds, should do a full cycle from 0-255 in less than 90 secs at idle and normal op temp, if not, you need a new one and don't use Bosch, they hardly ever cycle that much. Denso or AC or a heated NGK seems to work the best.
a Nb o2 is supposed to bounce around alot, it basically takes an average of the bounces/readings. If its steady at idle, then something is wrong with it.

My WB reads inconsistantly now after the turbo upgrade. Even before the turbo at WOT on stock turbo it would be 10.9 to 11.0. Now it's all over the place so I am thinking it's the fact the chip is set for the stock turbo and not the 4431 Precision. Even then though with a stock turbo it would pull good but just lacked the torque to break the wheels loose. I can not really believe a set of 275/60/r15's could hook up to the road that good. I am still convinced I should be able to smoke the rubber off those things.

What I am going to do is wait for the new chip from Eric at TT, install my new Pats 2800 lockup stall converter, the external fuel pressure gauge, the new O2 sensor and then retest the system so I can rule out those possibilities of tuning. I do know that my WB reads max on WOT 10.0+ but then drops to 12.8 or 13.9 after the turbo upgrade. I am not sure why but again it could be the fact I am running ALKY without an ALKY chip. It's still a TT chip but it's set up for everything execpt for the 4431 turbo and the ALKY. I am currently running 26psi boost w/0 knock according to the scanmaster. Car pulls good once the turbo spools but still lacks the torque and ability to spin the wheels. I'll keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.