89 MPG per tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure you specifically requested lean cruise in your order, because I don't put that in normally. With lean cruise, the A/F should end up in the 15's during a highway cruise.

Eric

I probably did not. I'm leaving well enough alone then as the car is the best it's ever been right now. I have a stumple at tip in once in a while and my idle is adjusted all the way and IAC is 40 or so when warmed up, so I'm at my limit there. I'll work on that after I make the jump to SD. Thanks for the reply.

My WB reads inconsistantly now after the turbo upgrade. Even before the turbo at WOT on stock turbo it would be 10.9 to 11.0. Now it's all over the place so I am thinking it's the fact the chip is set for the stock turbo and not the 4431 Precision. Even then though with a stock turbo it would pull good but just lacked the torque to break the wheels loose. I can not really believe a set of 275/60/r15's could hook up to the road that good. I am still convinced I should be able to smoke the rubber off those things.

What I am going to do is wait for the new chip from Eric at TT, install my new Pats 2800 lockup stall converter, the external fuel pressure gauge, the new O2 sensor and then retest the system so I can rule out those possibilities of tuning. I do know that my WB reads max on WOT 10.0+ but then drops to 12.8 or 13.9 after the turbo upgrade. I am not sure why but again it could be the fact I am running ALKY without an ALKY chip. It's still a TT chip but it's set up for everything execpt for the 4431 turbo and the ALKY. I am currently running 26psi boost w/0 knock according to the scanmaster. Car pulls good once the turbo spools but still lacks the torque and ability to spin the wheels. I'll keep you posted.

The fueling must be way off with the airflow of the new turbo and the added fuel of alky. You could probably tune your current chip to work but you'll need to remove WOT fuel to get your AFR back to 11.0 with the alky. The ramps are probably all wrong though too with the new turbo. Best to wait for thge chip but you'll still need to tune the new chip too. Alky setups take a little time and patience.

I totally agree. I am also going to have Brian send me another turbo. This one smokes like the dickens. The stock turbo never smoked and since I changed to this one is blows smoke out the tail pipe badly. It too is inconsistant. Some times it will smoke very little but when I womp into the gas pedal it blows blue smoke and at start up it blows. I am going to test this theory tomorrow by switching back to the stock turbo to see if the smoke stops. It's hard to believe it would be the precision because they are one of the best in my opinion to have but you never know. I just know it wasn't smoking before the new turbo and now it is. So I am going to swap back to the stock turbo and see what happens. I do also have oil back in the intake and intercoolers. I have no pipes at all going to the turbo at all or the intercooler pipes so I am not quite sure why it has oil in it except for the turbo. Also In was curious if on these cars it is normal to have smoke coming out of the breather on the driverside valve cover? It's not alot but I can always smell oil and it smokes out of the breather a bit. I am going to run a compression test on the engine in the next day or two and I will let you know the #'s I get.

Ok spoke to Brian and we are going to try the valves first before anything else. I just got in a set of ProComp 95 lbs dual springs and ProComp's chromoly pushrods. I have a new set of Tech engineering valve seals and I will install them in the next day or so to see if that stops the perfusive smoking. a couple of light idle /parked rev's and she is smoking like a $2 hooker. Let's hope for the best. Also my compression ran like this...

Cyl.#1.) 135 psi
Cyl.#2.) 128 psi
Cyl.#3.) 135 psi
Cyl.#4.) 130 psi
Cyl.#5.) 145 psi
Cyl.#6.) 135 psi

All the plugs were a good brown and tan color. The only black I saw on the plug was on the face of the plug that looks like a circle; that the middle of the plug goes through. But there is definately oil coming from somewhere. PCV was dry. The turbo was dry on both input and output side of the turbo and the exhaust from the turbo was dry. However the cold pipe (or upper pipe as some call it) keeps getting oil in it. I clean that and the intercooler and it comes right back but the turbo is dry. I rub my finger on the inside of the exhaust pipe coming out the rear of the car and it is loaded with oil. So we'll see if this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.