Originally posted by Scott231
History-wise,
We saw Kent Rudbeck's 4-wheel wheelie almost a half-dozen times,
Chris Chow's Twin Turbo V8 GN pulling to the line,
John Gallina's 7-second Super Stock record holding GN leaving the line hard,
Marka Gallina going straight up and headingg for the Xmas tree,
A "GNX" that had no fender flares,
Pete Barton's Yellow ANS car launching hard,
Billy Chafin's normally aspirated V6 GN (with police cruise paint scheme), and my favorite, overly dramatic moment - the incorrect removal of fuel injector clips.:rolleyes:

you also saw the TSM final in Vegas 03. I am in the far lane and D!ck Kerney is in the near lane in his 86 TSM car. They show this many times like Rudbecks wheely. I think they got all of the footage from Steve.

I loved the history part, I sure wish they would have let any of us turbo buick enthusiasts represent our cars by being the mechanics.... or at least exotic dancers instead of firemen (no offence Gary ;) )

one thing to note, the car that ran good seemed to be converted to 87 electronics, the bad running one had an 85 coilpack.

If you were to put a 100 bill on my dash you would be wearing it until i let off...... lol

I wish i had a title like "World Record setting race mechanics" I wonder what that means? What kind of record have they set?

also,

the white car that went straight up and headed for the tree was i think delesandros car. that clip was from the "shoot out at sundown" in the earlie 90,s

the black buick that did the long wheelie was Manual Bogosian's car.

feel free to correct if i am wrong because it is hard to tell from the short poor quality clips.

'85's on the History Channel

Jason, and all other people that have criticized this program just as many of the replies stated at lease our cars got some exposure and I think that is good for all Buick Turbo Vehicles. Also would like to take a minute and give credit where credit is due if is was not for the Associate Producer of "FULL THROTTLE calling me and asking how than would go about contacting the right people to get the right answers to redo the motor ( Ken Duttweiler) or the correct info for the cars beginnings ( Molly) or last but not lease the history of the GN ( Me, Steve Hurst, President-BGNRA) I don't thinks the show would have had the commercial impact that it did. So everybody kick back and enjoy the program.

PS: Jason Yes I'm the one that gave the Producer a CD of over 40 Film clips of the GN in action poor quality or not at lease it was our GN's in action.

PS: Neal S. Just want you to know you can stop scratching your head, the reason I was on the show is because I probable know more about the History of the GN than most people involve with these cars

Just thought I drop a few lines in about the formation of the show. Thanks

Steve Hurst, President-BGNRA " And dam proud of it"

http://www.bgnra.org
Email at: hurstbuick@aol.com

Dude,youre an idiot.Ill be glad to take your $100 bill anytime.

And I liked the show besides the cars were sub par and 6 idiots were turning the wrenches,at least we saw our cars on TV.Seriously,the worst part about the whole show was you and the $100 comment.You make us all look like idiots.

i will say seeing our cars on the tube was nice, but you know so much about these cars, why did you go with an 85?? why not 86-87? these guys really screwed things up imo, if you had any say in the show why did'nt they use someone who knows our cars like ken d. or any of the go fast guys? and not some wonder twins who's claim to fame is working on imports, you did good getting our cars on the air, great job, next time maybe they should use you or ken. just my opinion

damn broke, pretty harsh there....

there are two sides to this, yes we got some exposure....and yes those 6 guys were morons, who if they had just asked any one of us both those cars would have been running 13's....paperclip and Ebrake come to mind....

its just too bad hurst buick didnt have more imput than he did.....we wouldnt be having this discussion.....

Don't you guys think you are over analyzeing this whole thing??? In my opinion joe-average that watches TV shows like this has a decent knowledge of cars, They prolly don't know A to Z about Buicks like most of you guys do, Hell I am still learning more and more every day. From what I know yes there were some faulty things with the show and some things left out but it still was a very cool 1hr show all about our cars. The goal of the show from what I took of it was to have joe average (not highly mechanic inclined) folks try to win a drag race with = parts, time & tools. I also thought the time that was spent on the GN history and interviews was great for the amount of time the show had. Yes a 86 or 87 would have been better to use for power but people who know of GN's mostly just think of the 86 & 87 and forget about or don't know about the hot air cars. If this were a instructional video yes it would get a big fat F but for a quality entertaining TV show featuring our favorite car I though it was great and very well done. For what it's worth thats just my $0.02 :)

The following has nothing to do with Steve Hurst or the show as it relates to turbo regals. The show is a reality style show designed to appeal to car folks. Despite the gross inaccuracies of modifications, everyone gets their ya-ya's out by bolting on parts. So the producers cater to this and let 'em wrench for an hour's worth of entertainment.

The better premise would be to:

1. Have the hosts promote research of the vehicles to be used instead of posturing as "we already know what to do to any car you can throw at us". Reference some websites or publications so home viewers can see how real combos are decided.

2. Establish a baseline on the cars, get 'em in good tune first, then tweak them beyond this. Every bubba in the US wants to bolt on a carb, intake and headers then deem himself the owner of a fast car. Get real and show people how to do it right. If Jeg's wants to sponsor the show then throw parts at it. Until then, stop the insanity.

3. Then at the end do a recap of the mods, costs, and change in performance. You can really do some good when you give people the ability to learn to think correctly about performance.

Originally posted by BlownZ
If you can do better...make your own show.

Either way...quit crying already.

Hey, just defending my stand and some of the views of others. Maybe you are not capable of reading "into" that.

You are correct the white car was Jimmy D's old car..

Originally posted by Race Jace
also,

the white car that went straight up and headed for the tree was i think delesandros car. that clip was from the "shoot out at sundown" in the earlie 90,s

the black buick that did the long wheelie was Manual Bogosian's car.

feel free to correct if i am wrong because it is hard to tell from the short poor quality clips.

It's entertainment, people - not brain surgery.

The show is aimed at getting ratings and the focus is NOT the cars, no matter how much we would like to think so. The premise is based upon getting 'teams' to work together to accomplish a set goal with different options on how to attain the end result - beat the other team.

The car of choice in any given week is just a prop. No more, no less. For those that took the show as an insult to the Buick community, you need to look a little deeper and not take the show so seriously.

And Mr. Hurst - your line about knowing more about the history of these cars than most anyone is a little over the top, don't you think? Remember - it's better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. (PS: FYI... It's least as in smallest amount and NOT lease as in rented property for a finite time.)

Originally posted by Ted A.
Hey, just defending my stand and some of the views of others. Maybe you are not capable of reading "into" that.

What I am capable of is realizing this....it was a show for entertainment, they have a limited amount of time, and I am intelligent enough to know that the entire world doesn't revolve around me, my car and what I think they should have done.

I watched the show, I enjoyed it, I know they could have gotten better results....I've moved on.

Seek counseling already. Good grief how worked up do you get over important things in life?

from what i understand they went with 84/85s due to only having $5000 to buy each car, and had a hard time doing that in Southern Cali

Originally posted by Anthony K
from what i understand they went with 84/85s due to only having $5000 to buy each car, and had a hard time doing that in Southern Cali

Exactly. A $5k Intercooled GN ('86/'87) is very hard to come by anywhere if it is any sort of running condition. Hence, the use of '85's in the show.

I bought my 86 GN for $3900 and drove it 155 miles to my house. It can be done, but my 86 aint exactly pretty either.

Originally posted by FlyinGN
You are correct the white car was Jimmy D's old car..

Or you could say that is Michael Fell's Current Car!
BTW it is coming out faster that ever next year.

PS:Chris Chow shot that Vegas Shoot Out, I have a VHS Copy. =)