85 GN Build-off on History Channel tonight

Something I would love to see is an episode where R. Lee Ermey from mail call comes on and gets in the face of the turbo turds; I mean turbo twins. That would be funny.

All Full Throttle Episodes merged into one...

Does anyone have any comments on the last Full Throttle Episode? I believe it had two 85 gn's which they fixed up and raced.
This is from one of the threads, among many others, that has been merged into the the titled one.;)

There were about a dozen threads started as those reading here have found out.:)

Nick Micale

History Channel GN episode response

Well, I could not resist temptation and sent those clowns a little piece of my mind. Here's what they sent back. I'll have to say that they did keep it proffesional.

How stupid of us, we should have known it is all about the ratings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But thanks for watching the show..........your ratings helped us out..

----- Original Message -----
To: info@twinsturbo.com
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 4:47 PM
Subject: History Channel

Nice job on your two GN's you guys modded. I could have done better drunk. It is clear that you don't have to know what you are doing to get on a show.

I see why you got out of New York.

P.S. my 85 runs 9.29 @ 146.91. Maybe I should have been running the show??

I think it would be more effective to offer constructive criticism than just plain criticism.

I havent seen the episode in question but Id have to say that judging from what Ive read we oughta be glad TRs got any airtime at all.

Originally posted by Pablo
I think it would be more effective to offer constructive criticism than just plain criticism.

I havent seen the episode in question but Id have to say that judging from what Ive read we oughta be glad TRs got any airtime at all.

I saw the episode, and while the guys obviously didn't know much about what kind of mods TR's like, I agree that it is nice to see them on prime time TV! On top of that, if you remember these guys used to host an import tuner show on Spike TV and I thought it was cool they picked a GN to highlight.

Originally posted by Pablo

Read thier response. It is all about the ratings. Negative or positive, everybody watched the show. They win no matter what we think about the show.:D :D

"You cannot make power without a proper intercooler."

He's right! Without one you cannot turn up the boost because you will knock...but since we don't have a knock gauge to measure that nor the fuel pump to deliver the fuel in the first place... pathetic. Just goes to show that it doesn't take a genius to turn a wrench.

Why didn't they let some GN guys build the cars up. At least then they would have done it right.

"We didn't fail, the car did."

That is classic :rolleyes:

If they had asked us, we would have told em one word: HOTWIRE.

What's the beef here guys? A TV Show took 2 Buick Hotairs and put on some mods with absolutely no tuning to speak of, they had nothing that told them what the fuel pressure was, they were relying on the factory boost gauges, and then, they had two guys driving them that did not have any drag racing experience and worse yet, did not have a clue on how to properly launch a Turbo Buick.

Ok, they proved a point - that even with horrible tuning and with drivers that did not know what they were doing, they still got a time slip from a 20 year old hot air V6 car that beats most of the entire import world we see on the street.

So they put on some mods and only got low 14's- big deal. It's entertainment, not a show that is supposed to validate how great our TR's are.

Who cares? And why is everyone so pissy about the results? Do you think it reflects on how our cars run or what true motorheads will think? Hey, if every clown that sidles up next to me at a stop light or at the Christmas tree thinks my GN only runs 14's, more power to him! :D

As far as the sound bytes go, what I heard (at least for the 'burnouts') sounded exactly like a V6. No problem there for me.

I guess I liked the show (yes, really!) but obviously, I'm in the minority here. But at least we got to see some TR's on television and they really did not look that bad.

And again - for having totally clueless drivers, they did ok with those cars. I bet if they had launched with some boost after warming the tires PROPERLY, they would have had mid 13's with the one car. The other car? Well, all it really needed was some TLC, a fuel pressure gauge, and a scanmaster. It would have been there too.

I liked the show.

Originally posted by Raven
What's the beef here guys? A TV Show took 2 Buick Hotairs and put on some mods with absolutely no tuning to speak of, they had nothing that told them what the fuel pressure was, they were relying on the factory boost gauges, and then, they had two guys driving them that did not have any drag racing experience and worse yet, did not have a clue on how to properly launch a Turbo Buick.

Ok, they proved a point - that even with horrible tuning and with drivers that did not know what they were doing, they still got a time slip from a 20 year old hot air V6 car that beats most of the entire import world we see on the street.

So they put on some mods and only got low 14's- big deal. It's entertainment, not a show that is supposed to validate how great our TR's are.

Who cares? And why is everyone so pissy about the results? Do you think it reflects on how our cars run or what true motorheads will think? Hey, if every clown that sidles up next to me at a stop light or at the Christmas tree thinks my GN only runs 14's, more power to him! :D

As far as the sound bytes go, what I heard (at least for the 'burnouts') sounded exactly like a V6. No problem there for me.

I guess I liked the show (yes, really!) but obviously, I'm in the minority here. But at least we got to see some TR's on television and they really did not look that bad.

And again - for having totally clueless drivers, they did ok with those cars. I bet if they had launched with some boost after warming the tires PROPERLY, they would have had mid 13's with the one car. The other car? Well, all it really needed was some TLC, a fuel pressure gauge, and a scanmaster. It would have been there too.

I liked the show.

Well, we all know here that the TR's are more capable of what was displayed to the world on that show. Yes, I am happy to see our stuff make TV, but not in the mannor it was presented to the rest of the "unknowing" world. These cars are 20 years old and there is a whole new crowd of people who do not know what these cars are capable of and what they were capable of back then. There are a WHOLE lot more cars available today that would smoke those 2 cars on TV with your mom driving them, so I think more emphasis should have been put on the little motor that could, rather than the little motor that had a lot of $$ thrown at it. These guys did not teach the general public about the basics of tuning at all. The cars were not represented in the way we all know they should have been. After all the TV guys know everything don't they??

Didn't see a 6-page post coming when I posted on page 1 lol! Oh well. Still, I am happy they featured our cars on the show. Good education and resale value increases. Also as I said before, look at all the new meat that will be sizing us up next yr. Don't be too hard on the bopsy boys, they tried. They were just selling parts for their contributers. Could they had gone faster w/ out puting on all that mess? Sure, that's obvious but the viewing public don't want to see small additions and tuning they want to see big dollars being thrown at things to accomplish spectacular goals. So history channel went w/ the ratings. Get over it! At least they did not catch 1 of the cars on fire! I wonder how the mustang world took the show dedicated to them. :D

As I stated before I can kind of see both sides of the spectrum but.............. I think this is what has the majority a little "pissy" (from srt forums link above):
.....goddamit that show made grand nationals look ****ty.....
I dont think anyone likes to be viewed the wrong way, and it obviously isnt just TR owners that thought that way.
Another problem is that I always thought of the History channel as a learning venue, more or less used as a tool to teach. Well I feel sorry for those new TR owners or those thinking of getting one (if they havent changed their mind now) that follow the "lessons" taught on that show. Would have been better on Spike tv (as someone previously stated) or Discovery channel.

I just gave the quicktime movie I made of the show to a co-worker here. He is a car guy and is dying to see what they did to the car.

His comment....... "hey, at least your car got some air time". So I guess it doesn't really matter what happened to the car.

I am just happy to see them on TV :)

Originally posted by Ted A.
Well, we all know here that the TR's are more capable of what was displayed to the world on that show. Yes, I am happy to see our stuff make TV, but not in the mannor it was presented to the rest of the "unknowing" world. These cars are 20 years old and there is a whole new crowd of people who do not know what these cars are capable of and what they were capable of back then. There are a WHOLE lot more cars available today that would smoke those 2 cars on TV with your mom driving them, so I think more emphasis should have been put on the little motor that could, rather than the little motor that had a lot of $$ thrown at it. These guys did not teach the general public about the basics of tuning at all. The cars were not represented in the way we all know they should have been. After all the TV guys know everything don't they??

If you can do better...make your own show.

Either way...quit crying already.

While out for lunch today, I hear this BEEP BEEP. I look to my left and there's this older gentleman in an 80's Honda. So I roll down the window and he says "There was this great show on History channel last week on Grand Nationals. What year is that?"
"It's an 87. Yeah, I caught the show too."
"Cool car man."