85 GN Build-off on History Channel tonight

G-Force

History Channel "FULL THROTTLE" 1985 GN's challenge...

Go to the history channel website for full details.

1985 Buick Grand National.
Airs on Wednesday, November 17 at 9:00pm ET

The Grand National represented Buick's return to its "muscle car" roots, and in the 1980s, America's "King of the Streets" received a makeover from the inside out, including headers, turbos, intercoolers, fuel injectors, ECU chips, new racing transmissions, and high-stall torque converters. TVPG

I hope it's not as lame as last night's show. 16 hrs to do a cam and header swap in a 71, 240Z. The Yawn patrol must have been called out for the tech help. Thou, was nice seeing John Morton and some of the old BRE stuff. Was a great time......

Originally posted by bruce
I hope it's not as lame as last night's show. 16 hrs to do a cam and header swap in a 71, 240Z. The Yawn patrol must have been called out for the tech help. Thou, was nice seeing John Morton and some of the old BRE stuff. Was a great time......

not only that both cars worth slow as crap, the slower one ran consistant 22s at 66 mph lol, my truck towing my car can do that lol. If they don't have these cars running high 12s im gonna be really dissapointed. I can't wait for the misinformation the dufus twins decide to give out about GNs

The one I saw last night was 67 mustang 289s. High 16s off the bottle after wrenching for 20 hours, and on the bottle mid 14s. Wasn't real thrilling. I don't like the 2 guys either, the had a ricer show for a while, but they do seem to know a little bit about cars. At least they don't have some dufus that has no clue about anything like on the show "big" on discovery. That has to be about the worst show.

its going to suck, how could it not? i saw the 240z episode. its so dumbed down its not even funny. you would expcet something like that to be on the disney channel or nicoldeon.

BUT on the good side everyone watching it is going to see gn's running pretty slow (i don't think they'l go faster than a high 13 on that show, i'm guessing its slap on parts and go. no tuning at all) and then want to race every gn they see because there "slow"

time to make some money!

Originally posted by JDSfastGN
not only that both cars worth slow as crap, the slower one ran consistant 22s at 66 mph lol, my truck towing my car can do that lol.

I missed the end, but 22s is ridiculous.

Back in the 70s, me an a friend had, two Darts, one being a *race* car. The other one was a tow car. So we'd once in a while go trolling. We'd load the tow car on the trailer, and then tow with the race car. It was priceless to see people's faces, when we'd pace them towing a car and trailer. Not that we'd try going for top end but, it'd just be hilarious, to say, For $50 we'll go again with the race car. <g>

I watched last nights episode and it was attrocious! It is extremely dumbed down and they build 14 sec "race" cars...pitiful. I expressed my displeasure on the discussion forum on historychannel.com. I can't wait to see the lack of respect GNs get after being shown on this show:rolleyes: ...I'll definitely be watchin tho.

How about the first 240z race when the guy had a 7 tenths head start and red lighted:rolleyes: , then the next guy lets off before the fininsh and looses:rolleyes:

Neat concept, hopefully it gets better and they don't embarrass our Buicks with 15+sec 1/4 times, and they should have a nice bio on turbo buicks as they did on the 240z and mustang.

With the Mustangs show, the drivers just plain sucked. Did you see them all over the track? 16 seconds, gee. You'ld think they had a 6 second doorslamer. And what was big rush to change the trans from a c4 to a c6? What was that going to gain them?

I hope alot of unknowlegeables watch the GNs. They're going to dissappoint for sure. That will set the stage for some good kills of TV bench racers.

What I read from Dennis Kirbans update recently said that he supplied alot of parts for the cars, regulators, injectors, fuel pumps and such. The killer is they have to run on 91 octane fuel. Well there goes the high boost! :rolleyes: He also stated that the reason they picked 84-85 cars was that both cars had to be purchased for 5000.00 or under (each). Now days that pretty much rules out 86-87 cars. Well for the most part anyway. But it should be interesting anyway, lets cross our fingers.

Originally posted by vicious6
What I read from Dennis Kirbans update

Well I guess that expalins why they will be interviewing Molly for the show. Dennis has always credited Molly for the GN, while ignoring the more important work of others. (Maybe that's becase Molly will come to his shows and sign things.)

They are interviewing Lloyd Ruess as well. That's cool. If anybody deserves credit for the Turbo Regals, he does. :)

Did anyone see the rustangs show.. My v-6 Oldsmobile could out run that 16 second stang. & went they used nitrous it improved to mid 14's

i laughed when i saw the drivers wearing full fire proof suits for such slow cars, but after seeing the junkstange almost catch fire i changed my mind.

yup, so we can all be de-educated about our cars.

i hope there using the rare twin turbo v8 gns...

did you see in the previews the did have the prototype red 82 gn, so maybe the'll get something right

i'm still watching it.