85 car higher shift point

van460

looking to get a higher shift point more than 4500 any help on this? hate to have to manual shift it.

you can modify the weights on the govener but i would cal bruce at PTS or CK before i do it and see what they say.

Can be done easily

First verify that TV cable is RIGHT. You say it shifts hard then TV cable is probably set right. If you have the ability to remove trans pan--remove the 4-13 mm bolts @ rear of trans (oblong shaped aluminum cover) Governor will come straight down. There are 2 weights on the governor--the small one only--for every gram of weight you remove from small weight will raise WOT shift point 200 RPM. IMO it should be shifting around 5000-5200 as is so you could have something else going on such as tach off. Best of luck

i played with it all day and if you set it the correct way it will shift too hard for cruising around, but about right for wot. so i sacrified wot rpm for somewhat decide cruising shfts and wot is around 4300 1-2 and 4400 2-3 it seems to flaten out any higher than that at 11.2 a/f at 18 total timing 10-12psi 210coolant and 90plus outside...im using the f.a.s.t to data log runs. it may need have the trans addressed as well. or the tv needs to be replaced with new cable it is original.

thanks lee for explaining it more. i just didnt fell like getting into detail last night.