6466 Turbo Talk.

I'm not arguing at all that internal is better than external. What I'm saying is there's a few things that you're saying can't be done with internal, or definitively saying internal wastegate is the issue, and I'm sorry, but numerous things you're claiming can't be done with internal gate are obviously things that you learned from Facebook professionals, or hearsay, or not being competent enough to to utilize an internal gate setup if you actually have real world experience fueling your tabloid "facts". I have real world experience, and also have many proven credible Chicagoland turbo Buick tuners, mechanics, and car owners making big power, a huge range of turbo sizes ranging from Stock computer with basic chip making low 10 second power, to Ecugn with multiple stage boost control (my Buick) to boost over limit safety, and no less reliable than external gate setup. Maybe acknowledge that you're just internal gate prejudice, and their just might be a possibility us poor Midwest guys with 9 second cars still using internal gate setups like peasants are allowed to use the same bathrooms, and /or drinking fountains as you.... Oh that makes me think of something else. 3 bolt Mafia! 3 bolt for life! Now I'm just trolling you for tomorrow's Mr. Spool tabloids. Let me guess I just got asked to portray you in the Mr. Spool tabloid short.

Buick customer John Smith. No matter what I do, or how high I turn up my boost I can't go faster than 11.50 @ 116 mph.
Mr Spool. 11.49 or faster just can not be achieved with a 3 bolt exhaust housing. I have a bunch of data to back up my claim, but gimme a minute. I need to go screen shot some FB posts. Don't wait up for me...
Good night
Your starting to make this personal and it doesn't need to be.
I'm not an internal wastegate hater at all.
So stop being offended as I'm not attacking you.
I'm not on facebook and dont really care for drama
Just trying to help others
I've tuned more and driven and seen more combos out there than most and truly believe testing is the greatest eye opener.
If you think your real world high 9 sec hail mail pass on a glued track rental downhill with a 20mph tailwind on an aftermarket ecm on a internal gate is new I'm going to give you some real info
Your more than a second off in et than I've seen and done on internal gates😉
That's not the point
If you want to argue better sharpen your pencil.
I could have saved you thousands
You could have kept the stock ecu went external and ran an electronic controller to max a 62mm and went just as fast on the track maybe faster depending on conditions and have your 9 sec pass street capable so you dont have the typical 9 sec track car that really runs 12s on the street😉

I have real world experience, and also have many proven credible Chicagoland turbo Buick tuners, mechanics, and car owners making big power, a huge range of turbo sizes ranging from Stock computer with basic chip making low 10 second power, to Ecugn with multiple stage boost control (my Buick) to boost over limit safety, and no less reliable than external gate setup
And so do i😉
And I'm going to disagree with the reliability of the gates as well.
There are a ton of factors involved in a statement like this.
Go out and watch the guys that are really racing in real world conditions day in and out and show me how many have external gates and co2 vs internal gates.
Hmm I run nt and have raced all over for decades and I dont see any,
Wonder why?
Might be from what I've stated.

Your starting to make this personal and it doesn't need to be.
I'm not an internal wastegate hater at all.
So stop being offended as I'm not attacking you.
I'm not on facebook and dont really care for drama
Just trying to help others
I've tuned more and driven and seen more combos out there than most and truly believe testing is the greatest eye opener.
If you think your real world high 9 sec hail mail pass on a glued track rental downhill with a 20mph tailwind on an aftermarket ecm on a internal gate is new I'm going to give you some real info
Your more than a second off in et than I've seen and done on internal gates😉
That's not the point
If you want to argue better sharpen your pencil.
I could have saved you thousands
You could have kept the stock ecu went external and ran an electronic controller to max a 62mm and went just as fast on the track maybe faster depending on conditions and have your 9 sec pass street capable so you dont have the typical 9 sec track car that really runs 12s on i

When backpressure is lowered and the compressor can move air this happens 100% of the time
It's how the newer designs work
The turbine wheels flow more and the compressor flows more every rotation of the shaft.
I'm seeing 5 to 7mm larger on both compressor and turbine wheel spool faster on larger ars and make 300hp more on the same motor combos
It's nice to be in turbo land now
But it needs to be latest wheel designs
I definitely understand that , and substantially more power all over the rpm range no doubt about it , but a 66mm spooling quicker then a 62mm turbine is a little hard to swallow, maybe im getting old and too stuck in the 90s Jim Ruggles days LOL

I definitely understand that , and substantially more power all over the rpm range no doubt about it , but a 66mm spooling quicker then a 62mm turbine is a little hard to swallow, maybe im getting old and too stuck in the 90s Jim Ruggles days LOL
I get it. I wondered myself if it wasn’t just my skewed perception but others have said the same.

The exhaust housing in these HPT turbos is pretty slick and surely contributes to the greater spool speed. I’m also a long rod 249” stroker.

very simply it means you can go bigger on the compressor/ turbine wheel and ex housing,and if you have added compression to the motor even bigger making power right off the footbrake.
70+mm turbos can do that now on 109s😎👍

Some data
6971 triple bb comp ctr in .85 ported ex housing 3 bolt on a stock stroke 109 with a healthy amount of compression made boost at 2900 rpm
It was so fast to full boost it was like driving a supercharged car.
Moving that compressor to 73mm it made boost at 3200 rpm.

Some data
6971 triple bb comp ctr in .85 ported ex housing 3 bolt on a stock stroke 109 with a healthy amount of compression made boost at 2900 rpm
It was so fast to full boost it was like driving a supercharged car.
Moving that compressor to 73mm it made boost at 3200 rpm.
is this comparison data for the CTR 6871 vs. 6875, or did Comp change sizing in latest options?

No point in playing grammer police here on TB.com...... It will never take... :)
^^^ Agreed!
"Oh that makes me think of something else. 3 bolt Mafia! 3 bolt for life! Now I'm just trolling you for tomorrow's Mr. Spool tabloids. Let me guess I just got asked to portray you in the Mr. Spool tabloid short".
Try "portraying" a Turbo Buick guy discussing turbos, wastegates, et al.😉

👀

is this comparison data for the CTR 6871 vs. 6875, or did Comp change sizing in latest options?
Comp builds whatever sizing you want😉
So if your willing to experiment and have alot of data (like me for instance) you can have a custom turbo built😉

I keep getting out 330d by procharged cars, from a roll .., a buddy has a C7 ,he jumps out about 3 cars and we stay there the whole trip,,, we have same mph though at the end. . Would luv to have something spool like that. The 6466HPT bb sounds perfect for my street needs. I assume i would need to tighten the converter for it?

I keep getting out 330d by procharged cars, from a roll .., a buddy has a C7 ,he jumps out about 3 cars and we stay there the whole trip,,, we have same mph though at the end. . Would luv to have something spool like that. The 6466HPT bb sounds perfect for my street needs. I assume i would need to tighten the converter for it?
From a roll the c7 has a weight advantage and a 8 speed transmission which I’m sure is an advantage. But the hpt 6466 lights up instantly it feels like I’m driving in boost. What converter do you have.

But the hpt 6466 lights up instantly it feels like I’m driving in boost. What converter do you have.
This. It is so easy to get in to boost.

I am still looking for better logs but here is one when I was figuring out some issues with the wastegate springs. This is no lines hooked to the gate, just exhaust pushing it fully open at 21psi. With the lines hooked up and the boost controller working right it's even better.

Car is stock stroke, small flat tappet cam, champion irons with a PTC 17 blade, CAS V2 on e85.

Boost starts coming up at less than 1/2 throttle, 2600rpm where I am there for about 2 seconds then whack the throttle and it went from 9psi to 21psi in less than .5 seconds.
1697344523904.png

Another bad log done at the same time 2900rpm, half throttle, was slowly rolling in to it but had to pedal for some reason but you can see the boost following the tps....
1697346142455.png

This was a JB 6766 which was too big for my setup for reference.
1697346212787.png