6466 Turbo Talk.

Got the HPT 6466 and the 4-bolt is a VERY TIGHT fit and was a pain in the ass to do. The oil return was modified to the smaller bolt pattern. (and yes the nut was put on the other stud). The smaller center section would work better with the 3-bolt or v-band setup. I am looking at either getting a 3-bolt housing for it or a v-band housing but that would require me to get a set of v-band headers because I am not cutting up the nice ones I have.

1669525638838.png

Got the HPT 6466 and the 4-bolt is a VERY TIGHT fit and was a pain in the ass to do. The oil return was modified to the smaller bolt pattern. (and yes the nut was put on the other stud). The smaller center section would work better with the 3-bolt or v-band setup. I am looking at either getting a 3-bolt housing for it or a v-band housing but that would require me to get a set of v-band headers because I am not cutting up the nice ones I have.

View attachment 390018
Post 43
That's too tight

Post 43
That's too tight
Yep, going to try and get the HPT 3-bolt housing with flange for the gate first along with a turbosmart gate. Will have to grab a different 3" downpipe too but I can make some $$ back selling the 4-bolt stuff.

Yep, going to try and get the HPT 3-bolt housing with flange for the gate first along with a turbosmart gate. Will have to grab a different 3" downpipe too but I can make some $$ back selling the 4-bolt stuff.
Yup fun stuff
And when that stock drain leaks it would be nice to get to it easily.

HPT-6466 with Buick 3-bolt housing from Full Throttle Speed installed!
1677458081632.png

Currently have the VS Racing 44mm gate on the car that I thought was supposed to have the 7 & 5 pound spring in it but I only saw 7psi with it hooked up from the compressor housing to the lower port on the gate. The boost was solid with no creep. I need to pull it apart to confirm what springs are in it and get the boost controller hooked up. Once the weather clears up here I will take it out and get a real feel for it so far it spools fast with the PTC 17 blade.

Looks good. I don't see an external gate working with a Precision stock location intercooler though.

Looks good. I don't see an external gate working with a Precision stock location intercooler though.
It may fit with the turbosmart or a lower profile gate. The one I have on it is a VS Racing Gen3 which is taller because it is a piston instead of a diaphragm. No matter what it may be a tight fit.

Nice, what's incredible is this might be the only platform that had an aftermarket turbo housing made with the gate on it, I can't find anything out there so far. 35+ years later we're still getting great new designs to go faster with more user control.

Keep us updated

Oh, my Precision is already very close to the swaybar so it's as far forward as it can go.

Need help, went from 6262 bb to a 6466 bb, its on my built motor that went 9.70 with 70 gtq in 09, problem is i cant control.stop the boost...

its at 20lbs @ 40% tps according the the ecu gn ., this is gn1 alum head and intake, spools instantly, dont have external gate, just normal hd wastegate and jason cramer boost controller....

thoughts as to why i cant control the boost?

Need help, went from 6262 bb to a 6466 bb, its on my built motor that went 9.70 with 70 gtq in 09, problem is i cant control.stop the boost...

its at 20lbs @ 40% tps according the the ecu gn ., this is gn1 alum head and intake, spools instantly, dont have external gate, just normal hd wastegate and jason cramer boost controller....

Because you need an external wastegate and a real boost controller

Interesting thread - i liked the OP question regarding 6466 on these cars. Lots of 6466 options out there and most are claiming 15-30 % improved efficiency vs. older designs without any data (i.e. compression curves)

Precision - 6466 claims 1000hp and 10% increased flow vs. GEN2
HPT - 6466 HPT claim 930hp for std F2 (FTS claims over 1000hp) Buick model is 0.7 AR with integrated port for external waste gate & compressor speed sensor)
Comp Turbo - 6363 and 6467 are close same size and claim 850 hp & 925 hp - titanium bullet nose on compressor inlet looks cool, idk how much that would improve efficiency
Garrett - G30 & G35 similar HP ratings, but compressor and turbine sizes are significantly different than above
Others - ?

Interesting thread - i liked the OP question regarding 6466 on these cars. Lots of 6466 options out there and most are claiming 15-30 % improved efficiency vs. older designs without any data (i.e. compression curves)

Precision - 6466 claims 1000hp and 10% increased flow vs. GEN2
HPT - 6466 HPT claim 930hp for std F2 (FTS claims over 1000hp) Buick model is 0.7 AR with integrated port for external waste gate & compressor speed sensor)
Comp Turbo - 6363 and 6467 are close same size and claim 850 hp & 925 hp - titanium bullet nose on compressor inlet looks cool, idk how much that would improve efficiency
Garrett - G30 & G35 similar HP ratings, but compressor and turbine sizes are significantly different than above
Others - ?
Precision claims 900hp
Very small cover to hit that mark inmo.
from what I have seen the comp turbo will blow way past their ratings
And the hpt turbo 64 turbo I havent seen any fast 64s with
But.....
Garrett and comp have the newest wheel designs and seem to be flowing the most as of now.
1000hp on a small turbine wheel is really a shot in the dark
There is too much backpressure and compressor wheel for that matter will be overspeeding its ass off.
We have pushed alot of these turbos beyond their capabilities and have data that really points in the direction of properly sizing a turbo like an injector= with a cushion😉
A 64 is a great turbo that really should be kept at a certain hp level for instant spool and longevity and very good power
on a buick motor it can quickly escalate for that combo of wheels to become the motors restriction.
Period.
When that happens well.....
That's a thread for a different day😉

I see normal HD wastegate, but by chance do you have the oversized RJC Puck? Actually the problems I've encountered with the oversized puck have been the opposite. Can't get enough closed pressure over wastegate port to get enough boost, or control it steadily because center of pivot point to center of puck is 1.25". Stock center point is 1". The stock arm connected to puck shaft is also 1" from center to center. The RJC oversized puck comes with stock length arm throwing off the geometry, and actuator doesn't have enough leverage to hold puck closed. Multiple people have made RJC aware of this issue, but the response is oh I've never heard someone have that issue before. Sorry for the rant. Probably not relevant to your issue. Did you ever get it figured out? Has the wastegate hole been opened to match the puck size?

I see normal HD wastegate, but by chance do you have the oversized RJC Puck? Actually the problems I've encountered with the oversized puck have been the opposite. Can't get enough closed pressure over wastegate port to get enough boost, or control it steadily because center of pivot point to center of puck is 1.25". Stock center point is 1". The stock arm connected to puck shaft is also 1" from center to center. The RJC oversized puck comes with stock length arm throwing off the geometry, and actuator doesn't have enough leverage to hold puck closed. Multiple people have made RJC aware of this issue, but the response is oh I've never heard someone have that issue before. Sorry for the rant. Probably not relevant to your issue. Did you ever get it figured out? Has the wastegate hole been opened to match the puck size?
I dont believe its Jason's fault interesting theory
Here is the proven science with built motors that move air fast.
There isnt enough pressure to keep the puck closed and the wastegate size may be not what the combo needs
there is a good amount of backpressure to bring up boost that quickly with a 64 billet bb turbo and the puck also may need more than just that probably 40 year spring and a small wastegate hole😉 yes even if you enlarge it.
different behavior among these internally dumped wastegates happen due to what the car is doing in terms of the combo
The 64 turbo lites up fast
I've seen them hit full boost in .03 secs
You really think a a small internal gate with a 18lb spring is going to control boost regardless of puck angle?
That may save you a hundredth of a sec before it blows open
the external gates are much larger to get the flow out of the gate to control boost the pressure which can be speciffically added with co2😉
Boost creep
Blowing the gate open
Not getting the boost low enough or high enough
All indicators of the wastegate not doing its job