6266 or 6466 turbo?

Brandon706

I am planning a build and would like at least 570 to 600 rwhp. So far I have forged rotating assembly, billet mains, champion iron heads and intake, 210/215 roller. Rjc 315xtf intercooler, ptc nlu stall. I have purchased a 6266 jb turbo but after reading all the reviews on the 6466 it sounds amazing. I am thinking of returning the 6266 for the 6466 turbo, what I would like to know is which set up is better on pump gas and alky? I see a lot guys bragging they can make that type of power on low 18-22 pounds of boost is that better on the engine than turning a smaller turbo up to near 30 psi? It seems there would be less chance of detonation, thanks

2k for a 6466 rated @ 900hp. and if you all ready picked up a 6266 rated @ 670hp why not find the potential in youre combo you will be really surprised you sould make 600 hp easy. a lot of guys never push there setups to there potential. test and tune you will have smile on youre face you wont be able to soon wipe off.tons of cash. a fast system, freshening up the motor ,trans ,susp, slicks the list go,s on and on. but if you have the means god bless. we all know it aint cheap to keep going really fast! ditto on the heads gn1r heads would be ideal w/ 6466 and 9sec time slips.

Last edited:
I am in same set up dead set combo but making that much rwhp might require a girdle not 100% sure but something to.think about.some days im.ready to.pull trigger on the 6466 but from my understanding,even w ilaluminum heads its flows too much air. W irons im sure the problem increases. I think w the current turbo maybe the better route to go.

600 rwhp is 600rwhp,an engine doing it on 20psi or 30 psi.i run a 64/68 billet bb its an awesome turbo when the combo is there.ive run up to 31 psi on an rpe 109 with stock crank and caps no problems.car ran 10's at 19psi the compressor seems to make power everywhere and doesn't fall off.

Do you have a stroker motor or not? and are you willing to invest your time in tuning.. without a stroker motor, the bigger turbo will accentuate a slower spoolup on a JB unit on the street anyway (may not be too much difference). Unless you are planning to push past the 62's limit, then you actually probably will be happier with it.

I'm running pump gas and alky. I have time slips from a 6776 then the 6466. No other changes other than lowering the boost. I went from a consistant 6.90 to a 6.50 at less boost. I doubt anyone will ever push the 6466 to its full potential.

I think it will hit 85-87lbs/min on a 9:1 aluminum headed engine around 32-33psi. It's probably got a little left in the tank at that point but not much. Not going to happen on a 3 bolt housing without dumping some ex pressure either. The engine needs a lot of work to hit that mass flow. You
are correct though. See a lot of posting about engines making 550hp around 18-20psi. Imo those engines should be making that power at those boost levels. Stock stroke engine with good heads will usually make 400whp@12psi, 520-530whp
@18-19psi, 650@24-25psi, 700-720@28-30psi, and 750@32-33psi. At that point the wastegate needs to be used to optimize ex pressure or go to a larger turbine. Also the engines operating rpm can be skewed based on the cam/heads and it's entirely possible to make 700whp with boost in the low 20's but the ex pressure will still be as high as the engine that did it at higher boost with less rpm. This is with timing near optimal with maybe a degree left on the table. With added stroke and better cam timing events and maybe a slight amount more CR the numbers will increase 3-5%. At least that's what I've seen. If the numbers aren't in those windows then something is off. If anything off it's usually the converter and tune.

"I think it will hit 85-87lbs/min on a 9:1 aluminum headed engine around 32-33psi. It's probably got a little left in the tank at that point but not much. Not going to happen on a 3 bolt housing without dumping some ex pressure either. The engine needs a lot of work to hit that mass flow. You
are correct though. See a lot of posting about engines making 550hp around 18-20psi. Imo those engines should be making that power at those boost levels. Stock stroke engine with good heads will usually make 400whp@12psi, 520-530whp
@18-19psi, 650@24-25psi, 700-720@28-30psi, and 750@32-33psi. At that point the wastegate needs to be used to optimize ex pressure or go to a larger turbine. Also the engines operating rpm can be skewed based on the cam/heads and it's entirely possible to make 700whp with boost in the low 20's but the ex pressure will still be as high as the engine that did it at higher boost with less rpm. This is with timing near optimal with maybe a degree left on the table. With added stroke and better cam timing events and maybe a slight amount more CR the numbers will increase 3-5%. At least that's what I've seen. If the numbers aren't in those windows then something is off. If anything off it's usually the converter and tune."

Can you do the same ratings as above using the BB 6262? I would be interested on the hp ratings at different boost levels.

"I think it will hit 85-87lbs/min on a 9:1 aluminum headed engine around 32-33psi. It's probably got a little left in the tank at that point but not much. Not going to happen on a 3 bolt housing without dumping some ex pressure either. The engine needs a lot of work to hit that mass flow. You
@18-19psi, 650@24-25psi, 700-720@28-30psi, and 750@32-33psi. At that point the wastegate needs to be used to optimize ex pressure or go to a larger turbine. Also the engines operating rpm can be skewed based on the cam/heads and it's entirely possible to make 700whp with boost in the low 20's but the ex pressure will still be as high as the engine that did it at higher boost with less rpm. This is with timing near optimal with maybe a degree left on the table. With added stroke and better cam timing events and maybe a slight amount more CR the numbers will increase 3-5%. At least that's what I've seen. If the numbers aren't in those windows then something is off. If anything off it's usually the converter and tune."

Can you do the same ratings as above using the BB 6262? I would be interested on the hp ratings at different boost levels.
The most I saw out of an old 6265 was 78lbs/min. The engine made 697whp before it ran out of compressor. Theres an old thread. The 62 turbines and old t350 turbines flow about the same as a 65mm turbine in a 3 bolt housing. Peak power was at 28-29psi. It made about 655whp at 25psi. The engine was capable of swallowing all of it. Iron heads would need quite a bit more boost to hit the same mass flow at the same operating rpm. I did have an iron headed application make 550whp at 23-24psi last year with a 6262. There's no "ratings" based on boost. The more efficient the engine the lower the boost will be till it runs out of compressor or hits backpressure restriction.

Thanks. I just purchased a gn this week. I had a wh-1 for 15 years. When I sold it, It had a stock bore stock block. Ported iron heads and intake. Champion plenum and 70mm throttlebody. flat tappet 214 cam, pt-70 turbo with .63 housing. 9in AC convertor and Eric Shurtz 200-r4. Max Effort thumbwheel chip and 83lb injectors. It ran a best of 10.68 at 126 on 93 and alchy at 28lbs of boost. Dynoed 500hp/500tq at 5000 rpm.

My new combo is a stock block 231 with Champion Aluminum heads ported stock intake and dog house. 60lb injectors 214/214 roller cam, T&D roller rockers, TT alchy chip, alchycontrol, Precision SLIC, Ball Bearing 6262. 10.5 in lock up convertor, stage 3 CK trans How does this combo compare hp/tq wise to the old one? What is the potential at equal boost?

Thanks. I just purchased a gn this week. I had a wh-1 for 15 years. When I sold it, It had a stock bore stock block. Ported iron heads and intake. Champion plenum and 70mm throttlebody. flat tappet 214 cam, pt-70 turbo with .63 housing. 9in AC convertor and Eric Shurtz 200-r4. Max Effort thumbwheel chip and 83lb injectors. It ran a best of 10.68 at 126 on 93 and alchy at 28lbs of boost. Dynoed 500hp/500tq at 5000 rpm.

My new combo is a stock block 231 with Champion Aluminum heads ported stock intake and dog house. 60lb injectors 214/214 roller cam, T&D roller rockers, TT alchy chip, alchycontrol, Precision SLIC, Ball Bearing 6262. 10.5 in lock up convertor, stage 3 CK trans How does this combo compare hp/tq wise to the old one? What is the potential at equal boost?
IMO I think you should make more power with your new combo but you might not run as fast as the old combo because of the new converter ,the 10"lu is not as efficient as the old art carr 9"n/l upstairs....

IMO I think you should make more power with your new combo but you might not run as fast as the old combo because of the new converter ,the 10"lu is not as efficient as the old art carr 9"n/l upstairs....

I was thinking the same thing. That combo would fly with a ptc 9.5nl.

That would depend on how well the converter couples and how nailed down the tune is. Your old turbo will support more power but spool slower. I'm not a fan of lock up converters when looking to get better e.t's. Imo your old combo should have ran 10.10-10.20 @28psi so there was a lot left there. Plenty have gone that fast with very similar stuff. Usually 610-620whp @27-28psi and trapping 132-132mph. If converter slip is kept around 5% out the back and flashing into 5200 range the current stuff should go 10.40-10.50 on 93/alky at 28psi.

I have thought about switching to a PTC 9.5 in lock up. Opinions?

It's beginning to be a very popular combo. The 6466 makes great power and spools very quickly. Easily a 9 second turbo with a little slower spool than a 62mm

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

What stall would you recommend for jb 6266 and the bb6466 based on the ops setup? Looking to go to one of these turbos as well.