4L80E swap, what is needed?

With me needing to rebuild my trans and my never ending nagging itch for a turbo LS build I am thinking that I might as well make the move now.
1- Which application and year is the best one to start with?
2- Mating the trans to the engine -- Adapters and such.
3- Controlling the shifts.
4- Manual gear selection- PRNOD21
5- What ever else that I forgot
Thanks for your help guys

Last edited:
1. 2000+ has the center hole up top that'll mate to LS engines, 99 and prior don't. (Verify this, my memory sucks)
2. TCI has the bell housing adapter, it's the standard BOP to Chevy engine one
3. Lots of options, the TCI EZ-TCU is a good option, the opti-shift has more control over the trans but cost twice as much
4. Same as stock, your stock shifter works perfect
5. There are a few other things you'll need to do such as modifying the crossmember and cutting a piece of the trans, search for my thread called "going 4l80e, I'm off the deep end again".

Paul

We recently completed a 4L80-E swap into a GN, and we also installed a crate LSA supercharged engine and in front of it, not really difficult, but very expensive.

The trans and computer for it was sourced from Lonnie at Extreme Transmissions and he has info about all the "little" special items like the computer and selector shaft, converter, cooling lines hook up, and of course the specific model choice for your application.

Adapting it to a Buick V-6 is another challenge which may require more mods and expense?

I have unfinished business to take of with the V6. So I would end up installing the 4L80E behind the V6 first. THEN the turbo LS eventually

Source
i have been looking at Denalis as a source for a 6.0 engine.
Could the trans from one of a Denali work or is that 4x4 crap too much to deal with?
Next source
Would Chevy express van's be a better option?

my 6.0 is from 2003 sliverado, and the 4L80E is from a chevy cargo van (1 ton)
using the silverado computer, and HP Tuner,
works just like a 2003 sliverado! LOL

stock flywheel, from 2003 silverado.
and for now, stock converter, but, boy does it need a stall conv!!!!!!
I use a T76 turbo, so it spools good, but will blow the drag radials away instantly!

I can build a 80E converter in either lock-up or non lock. The lock-up is a billet piece. The non lock would be the popular 9.5 like we use in most GN's.