T56 Swap

You can definitely run this with a stock ecu. The only difference is you'll need to have your chip burned so that it doesn't reference the VSS. Lock up won't matter anymore. Speedo will need to be run from the aftermarket electronic to mechanical set up, or just use aftermarket GPS speedos. I'm running a Dakota Digital in my Monte Carlo that will reference the pulse from the T56 as the speedo. Very easy swap. ICEMAN cross members work great.

Wen you listed all the parts cost you never listed cross member did you build your own or who did you get it from

TTT, any progress lately? Very interesting stuff.

Sorry, I have not finished the car yet. The trans swap is done, waiting on the rest of the car to be done also. I have a build in the general tech section "GN un-build". I was busy at my old job, and just recently changed jobs. I'm out of town for a few weeks on training and will get back on it when that's over. Just need to finish installing my vintage air a/c and do a lot of wiring.
Wen you listed all the parts cost you never listed cross member did you build your own or who did you get it from
I used the stock crossmember and modified the mount a little. It works fine, but I don't use a cat hanger either.

Nice. I’m looking forward to the video of you ripping thru the gears.

D

Nice.. I was skeptical at first but I think I like it!:joyful:

Wow! Nice job! Well done. To my knowledge, you are the only other person, (besides me) who has done a manual swap. Mine wasn't as top end as yours, but the same basics. After a couple of versions (Saginaw 4 spd, and then a Muncie M22 Rock crusher with a V gate shifter) I ended up with a BW T5 out of a Camaro. the rest of the stuff was a BOP bell housing, and flywheel from a Monza, dont remember what clutch I ended up using, but went through a few different ones, (single disk) but remember having to fabricate spacers too. I adapted my original stock hydraulic slave and piston to work with a fork and pivot throw out bearing setup. Also used the chev pilot bushing. Had to chop my tunnel as well and fabricate a cover. I also got it to fit in my stock console. Fabricated a VSS sensor for the ECU. It was fun to drive around while cruising, but found it not as fun when I wanted to nail it. 1st gear was kind useless. The tires usually went up in smoke, and then I had to quickly get into 2nd because I hit redline. (No XFI or rev limiter Yikes! Yes! I missed a few shifts.) If I shifted into second hard, it would again blow the tires off . I found even in low boost, it became kinda scary going around a bend shifting gears. My hybrid has a short wheelbase, so it wants to swap ends when it gets a bit sideways. Fun when your goofing around, but not so much while your on a on ramp with other cars beside you ;-) Sorry to say, after running a while with this setup, I swapped it out and went to the 2004R auto . Must say the car is quicker for sure now. Just point and nail it, and no more shifting like a squirrel on crack. :) To each his own. Congrats! Enjoy your ride! And again really nice work!

Cheers,
Paul

I'm hoping the 2.66 first gear and 3.50 rear will make 1st gear a little more useful. I also have the ability to control boost by gear or mph using my FAST dash.

My intention with this car is not to be an all out fast drag strip car anymore, just a fun driver. With the suspension and tires that are under it, it is much more stable now also. I changed a lot of things wit this redo: Added power steering, power brakes, bigger brakes, sound deadening and insulation, new front suspension, sway bars front and rear and the wheels and tires. Now I've only driven it ~10 miles, but it feels less like the unstable tin can it was before.

Awesome conversion, Mike! Wish I was closer and could see the actual fit and finish of the end product.

WOW How freaking cool is that!!! Ok now install a nice head unit, amp, and quality speakers, in there as to get some tunes for cruising. I can't drive anywhere in my RACE car without some "Sir Mix-a-lot - Testarossa" blaring.

Awesome conversion, Mike! Wish I was closer and could see the actual fit and finish of the end product.

Thanks.

WOW How freaking cool is that!!! Ok now install a nice head unit, amp, and quality speakers, in there as to get some tunes for cruising. I can't drive anywhere in my RACE car without some "Sir Mix-a-lot - Testarossa" blaring.

I have a touchscreen stereo for it with Bluetooth, backup monitor etc., all the stuff new cars have. I have an old amp and sub from 15 years ago, but the sub definitely won't be going in the car. I need to find some speakers though. That's low on the priority list for now. I'm still too busy listening for weird noises to have a radio. I'm an old fart now, so I don't need much stereo to listen to my talk radio. :)

Too cool!

Thanks

Sorry, no more video than what I've already posted. I've been busy in other stuff over the winter. I'll be getting the car out more soon and try to get some more video.

Sorry, no more video than what I've already posted. I've been busy in other stuff over the winter. I'll be getting the car out more soon and try to get some more video.
Looks like a fun ride! I've seen some talk of doing a recirculation or something to keep boost up between shifts. Do you have any plans for something like that?