T56 Swap

Nice thread! I'm digging the details. Autos are nice for certain applications, but IMO shifting gears is always more fun!

Nice thread! I'm digging the details. Autos are nice for certain applications, but IMO shifting gears is always more fun!

You should post details of your car here. Maybe I've missed it here, but I saw it somewhere else and it's way more bad ass than mine.

I haven't gotten much done in the last couple weeks. I did get the tunnel cover painted, installed and seam sealed. I put a piece of rubber to seal the shifter to the tunnel. I've stripped all the interior in preparation for dynamat (fat mat) install and some carpet pad to try to get the heat and sound down. I also figured out how to make the upper shifter boot attach. It turned out pretty nice and it matches the steering wheel almost perfectly except the steering wheel is a bit dirty. I'm thinking of either having a turbo 6 shifter knob made, or have it engraved in the shifter boot plate, then powdercoat the plate to match the ash tray cover behind it.

CIMG1830_zps67ecf5ec.jpg

Nice job! I just did a t56 swap in my Monte. I just got it down the road here last week but still need to finalize a few things on it. Have you figured out what your going to do with the reverse lights, reverse lock out, speedo, etc yet? I also bought SickSpeedMonte's pedals and they work great! I'm using the mechanical pull style throwout on mine. It's an LT1 T56 stock set up.

For reverse lights, you just hook key on 12V to the 2 wire weatherpack connector on the front passenger side of the trans, the other wire goes to your lights. I tied into it somewhere around the fuse block when I had the b&M shifter on the automatic.

For the reverse lockout, I'm using my XFI mph output. I will wire key on 12v to one side of the lockout connector and the other will go to a relay. On the relay normally closed circuit the solenoid is powered. Using the MPH output, at 5mph and up, the output on the xfi will switch the relay normaly closed to open, switching the ground side of the solenoid off. These guys make a stand alone module that does the same thing. http://www.samocoind.com/T56MODULE.html

For the speedo, I'm also hooking it to my xfi speed input (inductive) and it will read out through my fast dash. My t56 magnum uses a ford electric speed sensor or a mechanical. I'll block off the mechanical. Your GM t56 should have a 3 wire hall effect speed sensor. There are places that will modify it for a mechanical ouput, but it's expensive.

I want to take a road trip just to take a ride in it....
Too cool.

Bryan

I had a th400 and 9" before this, so it wasn't stock to start. The T56 magnum is longer than a th400, so I have to shorten mine. A regular T56 is the same length as a TH400. The output yoke varies with each version of the T56 also. I ordered a 31 spline spicer forged yoke pn. 3-3-2491X for mine.

Last edited:
It's a factory manual window and no cruise car.
I had a th400 and 9" before this, so it wasn't stock to start. The T56 magnum is 2" longer than a th400, so I have to shorten mine. A regular T56 is the same length as a TH400. The output yoke varies with each version of the T56 also. I ordered a 31 spline spicer forged yoke pn. 3-3-2491X for mine.

Correction. I got my new yoke today and measured for the driveshaft. I have 52" center to center driveshaft from the th400. I have to shorten it to ~45.5". I shouldn't have any driveshaft critical speed problems at any speed.

Definitely post a vid of you banging through the gears when its ready:joyful: