T56 Swap

Mike E

Mr. Badwrench
Time for a break in the norm in the trans section. I searched and couldn't find where anyone had done a manual trans swap in GN with the v6. Lots of people have asked in the past, but were advised against it. I guess I like a challenge. I'm thinking this is going to make my car a bit more fun to drive. :)

This may not be the best route if you have a big turbo on a small motor or a factory computer. But for my car with a 277" motor and a 6768 with XFI, it will work fine. Should be a ZR1, Z06, GT500, Hellcat crushing monster with 900+ hp on tap.

So, what does it take.

You need a trans. I chose a T56 magnum because they shift well and can hold the torque. Fed Ex was supposed to deliver it today, but they screwed up my address. I went with the GM close ratio (2.66 first) version. The T56 uses the same trans mount as a th400 and it's in roughly the same place, so you can most likely use a cross member that worked for a th400. But, there are a few aftermarket g-body t56 cross members out there.
3.5.1.3.jpg

You need a bellhousing. Quick time makes a BOP to T56 bellhousing. They make it to use a mechanical throw out bearing setup or a hydraulic. I got the mechanical version here because I got it dirt cheap and I have a mill to modify it if needed. But, the hydraulic version would have been best for me.
CIMG1796.JPG

You need a clutch and flywheel. This is a tough one. Anything over 600ft.lb. really needs a twin disc clutch. Ram and Centerforce said they didn't offer anything for a v6. Mcleod makes a twin disc setup that will work with any normal flywheel that takes a 10.5" clutch. I chose their RXT clutch that should be good for 800ft.lb. TA performance can get a billet steel flywheel in internal or external balance. I've got the internal balance steel flywheel. It's heavy at 35 lbs. but should make for a good street driver and good at the track.
post-76-0-19358600-1412818357_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-38839100-1412818400_thumb.jpg

A Buick uses the same pilot bearing as a sbc.
CIMG1795.JPG

You have two options for clutch actuation. Mechanical or Hydraulic. I prefer hydraulic. I'm using a master and slave cylinder for a 98-02 camaro. I bought adapters for the hoses to use a -3 hose and I bought a speed bleeder from Tick Performance. Here is the slave.
post-76-0-22311400-1412818423_thumb.jpg

I bought a kit from Sick Speed Monte for the clutch pedal and master cylinder mount. You have to cut down the pad area on the stock brake pedal to match. I'm also going back to vacuum brakes, so I modded a vacuum brake pedal. I did quite a bit of work to make all this fit together well and make the pedals line up correctly.
post-76-0-15303200-1409873775_thumb.jpg

Master in the car.
CIMG1793.JPG

Clutch master cylinder reservoir.
CIMG1792.JPG

Three pedals in a GN.
CIMG1794.JPG

Nice! I think the Magnum t56 swap will work great with your combo. The magnum will take everything you throw at it and the Mcleod RXT is a great clutch for the street/strip. We have a car here which runs 8.60s @ 165mph with the same trans and clutch at 3100#. Excited to see how this comes together, should be a blast to drive!

D

Awesome!!! You got a stock fbody slave cylinder(for clutch?) did you do the drill mod to the hydraulic line? The fbodys have a restrictor to slow down the flow of fluid to save the 10 bolt so I've heard.

Awesome!!! You got a stock fbody slave cylinder(for clutch?) did you do the drill mod to the hydraulic line? The fbodys have a restrictor to slow down the flow of fluid to save the 10 bolt so I've heard.
Yes, factory Fbody master and slave. The restriction is in the hose between the master and slave. I'm not using that factory part. I bought adapters to use a plain -3 hose.

With as much torque as these engines make, you coulda got by with a 4 speed. I can visualize the first three shifts all happening within 3 seconds...

I looked at a lot of different options for transmissions. I had a TKO in a mustang in the past. They are fairly strong, but not easy to shift quickly. A T5 is a good shifting trans and they have parts to make them handle big power. But there isn't a bop bell housing and the pilot bearing would be weird. Same for a tremec 3650. I wanted overdrive, so a 4 speed was out. A Richmond (Doug Nash) 5 speed is big money and can't take the torque. That leaves the t56. The older f-body versions are good to 450ft.lb. the viper is worth a little more. Either of those would be $2k for a good core and $1k in upgrades. For that much, the magnum (really a tr6060) is ready to go with all the upgrades and good for 700ft.lb. or more. It comes with a shifter which I think is pretty decent.

I bought the 2.66 first gear version because I think the 2.97 is too much first gear foe a turbo car. The plus to the 2.66 is that it has a .63 overdrive vs. the ,50 for the 2.97. I'm not sure even my motor can lug a .5 overdrive out of boost. The 2.66 first gear is what most fbodies, Cobras and vipers came with. With a 3.50 rear gear, the 1-2 gear change should be a ways off the line, but after that, they will come quick. I have lots of rear gear options with the 9" if I need to play with that.

I'm not gonna lie. I sat on my rolling stool and rowed through the gears a little. :)

Last edited:
Bad ass swap! I look at that pedal assembly and think how much of a pita it was to install under the dash. I've got work to do on my brake pedal switch and am dreading it.

Finally someone is doing this swap, there are so many nay-sayers on here, I never thought it was going to get done. To be honest, I've been getting a little bored with my car lately and have been dreaming of a manual in the GN, but without having to swap in an LS.

I got a little done on the trans swap this weekend. My block has a lot of crank centerline offset because of a line hone issue a while back (that Chris Hogeland fixed thank god). So, that requires some offset dowel pins. I measured and had .039" runout. That is a .0195" offset. I was going to order a set of offset dowel pins from Robbmc.com, but they were on back order, so I made my own.
CIMG1808_zpsb65d9cdd.jpg

While I had the bellhousing on the motor, I measured for the hole for the shifter. This is the minimum I'll need to cut. It may need more cut once the trans is in the car. I'll make a sheet metal cover and put a lower boot from a mustang on the floor once I get it all situated.
CIMG1806_zps23e78c48.jpg

Here is what the McLeod RXT clutch looks like blown apart. They sent me some metric bolts where I needed standard, so I can't put it in just yet.
CIMG1810_zps904d2713.jpg

I mocked up the slave and shifter while it's on the floor.
CIMG1811_zps0333454c.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just using the parts I know. It's this one. This will be the boot at the floor. I'm still going to use the console and I'll have to find a leather upper boot that fits it. I bet a 3rd or 4th gen camaro boot will work in the console.

Mustang lower boot.
image.jpg

Got the clutch in, but not without problems. The offset hole on the flywheel wasn't offset enough. It was off by about .050 so I had to slot it a little. Got that fixed and the clutch bolted on without issue. Once it was all on and the bell housing was bolted on, I checked for throw out bearing clearance. According to McLeod it needs .125-.200 clearance and I only have .050. So, I need a bell housing spacer to move the trans back. QuickTime makes part number RM-199 that is 1/4" thick. Then I need new, longer trans dowel pins and a .100 slave cylinder spacer.

image.jpg

image.jpg