480le Trans

Worth the money? Time will tell...How could anyone be against using the 4l80E if the $$$ was available? Bottom line is it can handle anything you throw at it, it's tunable, and you can lock it up with the proper converter at WOT...I don't see how it could get any better than that for a stout street car.

what years were the 480le made and what of trucks did this trans come with, I would like to hunt one down.

John,

I would like to see a STOCK 4L80E that will handle 900 ft/lbs! You pull one from a truck and put it behind some thing with that much torque and see how long it will last. It might last a little while but not long:D . The L80 does not hold up to well behind the Duramax. I know this for a fact! Yes the Allison trans has alot more to offer(more gears, built stronger) so I'm sure thats some of the reasons its behind the Duramax.

Scott

Scott...

no intentions on starting any flames here.. I didn't really say that it WOULD hold up to 900 ft lbs, I'm no expert, I just dont' agree with the rationale.. what year did the Duramax ever come with the 80e?

There is a big difference between an everyday tower and a race car. How does a turbo 400 ever wear out?

mine is stock with a shift kit.. If I run some mid 9's in a 3600 lb car.. will you believe? It doesn't matter, cause I have no idea if it will handle that power either.

I wonder if there was this much disbelief in the guy that put a turbo 400 behind a fast rig.

Stage 274 and anyone else, do not buy a 4l80e that is tagged any earlier than 1996. GM made many many changes to these through the years. I've talked to many different builders and most importantly my own and no one recommends anything earlier. Basically, the newer the better. If you get your hands on a 2000+ one, that's even better because they changed some hydraulic points/where the trans lines feed.

John

John,

I'm not saying any of this in a mean way! We are just talking about it. Gm never put the L80E behind it in "production". Were I work we had some trucks with the L80E behind it and they did not fair to well. I think it will hold up to 900 for a short period of time. But like anything you throw $$$ at it and you can make it work.

The bottom cooler line is moved to the middle of the case. They call it center lube.

Yes the newer the trans are better because of the updates that have been done to them.

I have no problem with what you have said. I like to hear other peoples thoughts.

Scott

Thanks for the heads up John.
The trans I was looking at has the round connector plug on the side of the case[not sure of the year].
Any ideas what mods they made to the trans and how they affected durability?

The weak spot is the input shaft on the 93-up models. They tend to snap at the oil holes. Someone out there is making a billet one, but last I heard, they are $400+

can the new accel gen 7 control the 4l80e, shift points, lock up ect., with out buying another stand alone system just for the trans. to much to worry about. I just bought a ls1 for a good deal, and I want to put my stage two in it , can I use any part of the wire harness to make that trans work.

Whattaya mean ouch?The stuff for the 200 isn't much cheaper,if any.
It would be nice if the Gen 7 could do that.
The article I saw stated they used a Motec and they're worth over $5,000 right now,the last I saw.

The gen 7 dfi will control torque convertor lockup. It will also control 3 stages of nitrous. You might be able to control shift points with that output somewhat.

Well I can speak from some experience...it definitely isn't the cheap option but if you're making some serious torque and want to launch hard and have 4 gears it is the way to go. I'd rate the trans on its abitlity to take torque not HP once you're making mad HP you're already on the roll, torque breaks transmissions especially in the AWD world. I have a 281ci Oddfire V6 motor with a T76 that makes 625HP and 800LBS of torque on 11PSI ;) so I'm really testing the trans and I plan on making well over 1000LBS of torque. Before everyone says it can't take it I'll let you know that it is fully built, I won't get into too much detail but it is fully built. So far my best time is 11.60 @ 124 with a 2.2 sixty...no cracks on the sixty foot time I'm working on it...4 link soon...the gear vendors OD is cool but don't plan on using it for racing, word is it takes almost a second to shift into those split gears so you'll still be racing with 3 gears...I still have a lock up convertor and it stalls over 4000RPM...I'd find a core and have it built up as much as you can afford then I'd get ahold of Bruce and do the electronics yourself, but if you want full on control I'd go with the FAST controller where you can adjust just about anything via the laptop. Just a word of advice stay away from the Autotransinc controller!!! It doesn't work and you make adjustments with a plastic screwdriver! and you can't log any data like you can with the FAST unit. If you aren't making say 800HP and 900+LBS of torque and spin your motor over 6K RPM it may not be the trans for you but if you are Stage 2 and going for the gold it is a very viable option. HTH

My 4L80E Experience so far...

The 4L80E Overdrive ratio is actually .75:1, not .87

I finally mated my new 383 with a Hughes Performance 4L80E and slid it into my 81 Malibu yesterday. Tight fit - you need to pound flat the sheetmetal ridge that joins the firewall to the body, but once you get it in it has clearance on all sides. I had the smaller flexplate (153 tooth) and Vette starter and they will not work with the 80E - it requires the 168-tooth flexplate and a starter to match. Luckily noticed that Friday morning and had time for a Summit Saturday delivery!

Next is threading the headers and motor mounts in there. The motor/trans combo is still supported by the cherrypicker so it should make it easier.

Once I can set it down on the mounts, I need to fit the crossmember from G-Force Performance. It was meant to be for a T-56, and John is planning an exact version, but I need to send him pix so he can finalize the design.

Then it's on to wiring - the 4L80E has its own harness that has almost as many connections as my Holley Commander 950 MPFI! Part of it is that the harness (by TCI via GMPP) is designed to support both the 4L60E and 80E, so there are some unused wires no matter which you choose. I am just going to remove those. The tranny has 3 electrical connectors on it:

TISS: Transmission Input Speed Sensor
TOSS: Transmission Output Speed Sensor
Main Connector: Round snap-in connector w/about 20 connections.

Since I couldn't find a good local 80E core, I had to forfeit the $800 core charge from Hughes. With the GMPP Computer and harness, and the optional mechanical speedo adapter, my total for the tranny setup was $4890 delivered to Cal.

Some Engine Details:

383 ci
4-bolt GMPP HD Block with 'short fill' of Hard-Blok stiffener
All-forged bottom end by Speed-O-Motive
Edelbrock E-Tec 200 Heads, fully ported
Comp Cams valvetrain
Custom Comp Cams solid roller, 230/236 @ .050", .589/.602, 112
Vortech V-2 SQ S-trim
Bell intercooler (core: Bell 23"L X 6"H X 4.5"D, 34 down channels)
Holley Commander 950 MPFI, 50#, Race Upgrade
FJO Racing Wideband O2 Controller
NOS Cheater Kit (will start with dry 100HP setup)
Modified Hedman Husler Race Headers, Jet-Hot coated
Canton Racing Road Race Oil Pan and Accusump
MSD 6A

Starting target is 650HP at the crank, with no nitrous and ~8 lbs of intercooled boost at the manifold. After I break it in I'll try playing with pulley combos.

Sorry had to bring this thread back to life!!

I am still very interested in this transmission, but I can't find many people offering it for sale. I know Hughes and TCI offer this transmission anybody else offer a high end/top built 4L80 that can handle power?

What about converters etc?

Thanks!

I have a 4L80E with a stock converter for sale if anyone is interested. $750. It is the transmission and converter only. It was out of a rolled truck. I am not exactly sure of the year, but if someone knows how to ID it, I will find out. It looks clean and nice, but I do not know its history. I prefer not to ship it.

I too have a 4L80E trans core

Came out of a rolled truck too. I will also ID it for anyone who may be interested. Can supply pics as well. I believe it was a '97 Chevy C3500 with a 5.7 Vortec. :cool:

Thanks for the reply guys.

I am interested in someone that builds a 4L80E for a twin turbo Stage II application.

My goal is to run the car in open road race/Silverstate applications, so the overdrive and lock up converter is a great feature. So far I have found TCI and Hughes, though they do not list the strenght. It seems to be hard to find, as everybody with lots of torque and HP tend to run 3 speed trannys.

Thanks