Thermostat housing leaks.... what to do??

PaulRV6

I am having trouble getting the housing to seal against the manifold. I have tried 2x with new gaskets and it still leaks. The housing has been cleaned but has allot of rust pits. What are you guys doing to remedy this? Can I buy or new one or try to find a good used one? Thanks

I have one available. Engine has been stored since 1996, so it's not like the T-stat housing has been in use all these years. I could get it out and take a better look, if you're interested. Doubtful you'll find a NOS housing (unless I take one from the NOS engines I have).

P1040154.JPG

I am having trouble getting the housing to seal against the manifold. I have tried 2x with new gaskets and it still leaks. The housing has been cleaned but has allot of rust pits. What are you guys doing to remedy this? Can I buy or new one or try to find a good used one? Thanks
Have you tried The Right Stuff Gasket Maker ?

more pics...cleaned off flange area with brass wheel. looks fine. left exterior dirt & grime and rubber junk from radiator hose.

you can see the inside of the outlet tube is like-new. not bad for a part that was maybe in service for ten years and then stored for almost the past 30 years...

P1040162.JPG
P1040163.JPG

I didn't want someone to be confused of my signature showing an 86. I do have another hot air motor I am working on. Thanks

Any general or engine machineshop can remachine the t-stat flange. We weld the bad ones and remachine or just take a lighter cut on the not so bad ones.
On the later IC engines, we sleeve the bore.
Right Stuff is your friend!
TIMINATOR