3bar MAP sensor

turbonut85

Rarely used member
Like the title says. Lmk what you have and a price shipped to 50322. Thanks. ---Keith

I've found GM style 3 bar map sensors to be unreliable . Of course the cheap Chinese ones are crap but I've seen 2 from GM fail. I would epoxy and clamp the two pieces together or risk hurting your engine unless you're just using it for data logging . If for alky or ecu speed density control they are unreliable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we are using one of Eric's wideband 6.1 chips.....is the 3bar used at all with the TT 6.1 wb chips?? If not, it will only be used for data logging.

I've found GM style 3 bar map sensors to be unreliable . Of course the cheap Chinese ones are crap but I've seen 2 from GM fail. I would epoxy and clamp the two pieces together or risk hurting your engine unless you're just using it for data logging . If for alky or ecu speed density control they are unreliable

What is a good alternative to the gm sensor then?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

What is a good alternative to the gm sensor then?

I use AEM 3.5 Bar on my cars. I used the 3.5 on my fast car for years and recently aquired one for my other car after the GM 3 bar failed. I had one crap out about 3 years ago and thought it was a fluke. Then a brand new GM one crapped out one day before I ran my car in the 6265 thread. The AEM sensor can easily be threaded directly into the pressure source. It's 1/8 npt and eliminates the chance of the line blowing off or being compromised. You need an adapter to run it but its worth it imo. If you have a sensor fail with alky and don't run a speed density ecu you probably won't notice until ka pow. Keep in mind you lose a little resolution with the 3.5 bar but I'd rather lose that than an engine.

Last edited:
Where did you thread in the sensor? Do you have any pics? I am going speed density and have a gm 3 bar now.

Where did you thread in the sensor? Do you have any pics? I am going speed density and have a gm 3 bar now.

yvyjemyq.jpg

azevypum.jpg

I got one from Mallory (the ignition/distributor company) for $10 at the NHRA event not too long ago. It was in their giant box of clearance parts. They may have them on their website also.

I use AEM 3.5 Bar on my cars. I used the 3.5 on my fast car for years and recently aquired one for my other car after the GM 3 bar failed. I had one crap out about 3 years ago and thought it was a fluke. Then a brand new GM one crapped out one day before I ran my car in the 6265 thread. The AEM sensor can easily be threaded directly into the pressure source. It's 1/8 npt and eliminates the chance of the line blowing off or being compromised. You need an adapter to run it but its worth it imo. If you have a sensor fail with alky and don't run a speed density ecu you probably won't notice until ka pow. Keep in mind you lose a little resolution with the 3.5 bar but I'd rather lose that then an engine.

what does lose resolution mean?

what does lose resolution mean?
The coil is mounted in the stock location and you're on a 0-5v scale. 3.5 bar is scaled over 5v. If you increase the MAP sensors ability to read pressure you still have the same voltage to work with. It's beneficial with some aftermarket speed density ecu to have a seperate 1 bar sensor for startup so that the sample is very accurate when the key is turned on. If you go from sea level to 5000 feet the air pressure is quite a bit different and the sensor can give more precise data to the ecu for drivability reasons.

The coil is mounted in the stock location and you're on a 0-5v scale. 3.5 bar is scaled over 5v. If you increase the MAP sensors ability to read pressure you still have the same voltage to work with. It's beneficial with some aftermarket speed density ecu to have a seperate 1 bar sensor for startup so that the sample is very accurate when the key is turned on. If you go from sea level to 5000 feet the air pressure is quite a bit different and the sensor can give more precise data to the ecu for drivability reasons.

im running the sd2,im having an issue everyonce in a while when it starrts,the map dosnt go below 50 and its flooding it out.so i was pondering getting this aem unit.im 95 %of the time im at sea level.would this be a better map then buying another gm 3bar?
dont mean to hijack turbonut 85,

im running the sd2,im having an issue everyonce in a while when it starrts,the map dosnt go below 50 and its flooding it out.so i was pondering getting this aem unit.im 95 %of the time im at sea level.would this be a better map then buying another gm 3bar?
Imo the aem style is better than any of the cheapie GM style. One sensor failure could cost thousands.

No worries....I'm reading and learning...so carry on. :)