350 trans

ricturbo

having some trouble with 200r trans how would a 350 trans work ? and how hard to swap?? thanks

Might look into rebuilding your 200 from a trans vender on here, or switch to a 400.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

With the right bellhousing it'll bolt to your block. You'll need a different converter, different slip yoke, different filler tube, shortened driveshaft and diiferent crossmember. Too many quality choices of 2004R these days to go that route in my opinion, unless it's a sub-10 second, dedicated track car.

With the right bellhousing it'll bolt to your block. You'll need a different converter, different slip yoke, different filler tube, shortened driveshaft and diiferent crossmember. Too many quality choices of 2004R these days to go that route in my opinion, unless it's a sub-10 second, dedicated track car.
its a everyday driver what do you think I should do ? the tran is still working as long as I dont hammer down on the pedal.

Talk to one of the transmission builders on this sight and rebuild your 200. Some of the best 200 builders in the buzz are right here.

For a driver I would never go with a 350 or a 400. The 2004r can be built very strong by a few people on the board, but even a stage one rebuild would do you fine.

Bryan

I love my 350 trans and I admit that there are "drawbacks or shortcomings." I had a 3.73 gear and stepped back down to a 3.42. I did switch the cross member also. The only advantage is that I have had 5 totally carefree years of banging gears and I only have $900 in the total project. I have my expensive 200 on standby when the need comes for me to freshen up the 350. I have recently purchased another core and D5 converter for a future build.

No drawbacks to dropping the TH350 in these cars except losing the lockup converter and overdrive (4th gear).
If you're rarely above 60 MPH cruising then the 350 is a great trans that's ready for the strip.
Try driving your 200 in third gear to get an idea if it would work for you.

No drawbacks to dropping the TH350 in these cars except losing the lockup converter and overdrive (4th gear).
If you're rarely above 60 MPH cruising then the 350 is a great trans that's ready for the strip.
Try driving your 200 in third gear to get an idea if it would work for you.
There are th350c out there that use a lock up converter.

The only thing I changed was the crossmember. I love my 350 and bang the gears at the track and then drive home. I had several good 200's that couldn't survive track abuse. The 350 was cheaper and way stronger. I drive my car anywhere.

There are th350c out there that use a lock up converter.

I think i recall an early 80's big buick or pontiac sedan that was a 350 O/D..is that what your referring to ? ..or is it a specialty purpose built trans ? by whom?

Lots of vehicles had the th350c, mostly trucks before he 700r4 was introduced. Similar to the th200c three speed that used a lockup torque converter. Greg Gessler uses one in his fast stage 1 Buick.
Not an overdrive, just a three speed with a lockup.
Lots of super stock racers use a th200. Check out Scott mcclay engineering or one of our vendors. The parts are out there, and there are plenty of builders who can put one together, and have it work long term. You just have to find one.

I think i recall an early 80's big buick or pontiac sedan that was a 350 O/D..is that what your referring to ? ..or is it a specialty purpose built trans ? by whom?
Those cars were probably 2004r if they were 80s cars.

OP inquired about a "350" so I assumed his question concerned a 3 speed but Texas T is right, the TH350C is an option with a performance lock-up converter.
So many transmission options for these cars and experienced users and builders right here.

I would definately go back with a 2004r unless you plan on sub 11 sec and driving it a lot(highway) is way better with over drive imo. The parts are out there you just have to get up with a builder.

I'd you can get by with three speeds a 350 is certainly an option. Lots of parts out there for that, too.
I like a lockup converter. A th350c would be the way I would go if I went to a three speed.
Jim Turner used to run a th350 with a custom planetary of some kind in his stage 2 car.

With a TH-350 you also lose a little low gear as the ratio in first is 2.52 vs. 2.78 in the 2004R. As mentioned, aftermarket planetary sets are available to provide a 2.75 ratio in the TH-350 but that's extra money you could put towards 2004R parts.