2732A Chip Carriers?

GTPprix

Anyone have a good source for the chip carriers used for the 2732A EPROM used in the stock PCM? Any info would be greatly appreciated! :)

Chris,

If you come up with anything I'd be interested in a few myself.

Thanks
Neal

Yes, but unfortunately after they were acquired by 3M it appears they no longer make them. I've got a P/N but I am unable to find any for sale in quantities less than about 500 or so. If anyone knows a good source, please speak up :)

Originally posted by GTPprix
Yes, but unfortunately after they were acquired by 3M it appears they no longer make them. I've got a P/N but I am unable to find any for sale in quantities less than about 500 or so. If anyone knows a good source, please speak up :)

I doubt you'll find any company willing to sell them in any smaller quantities than that these days.

I had to buy a 500 batch from RN, and that was several years ago.

Might want to try what I did. Find a vendor that carries that line, have them send you some samples, say 20 or 30. Find another vendor, repeat....

I guess I'll try that :) In the mean time if anyone has a few they would like to sell, let me know!

Originally posted by 87GN_70GS
Might want to try what I did. Find a vendor that carries that line, have them send you some samples, say 20 or 30. Find another vendor, repeat....
Yeah, stealing is a good idea.:rolleyes:

Well rather than requesting a bunch of samples, I put in a few bid requests to see if I can get volume of less than 200, I guess I'll find out hopefully tomorrow, I swear to god you'd think these things were made of gold!

I'd be interested in 50 or so if someone had to purchase a surplus.

BTW, what's the RN/3M part number? I'm a vendor and may be able to dig something up.

Hood

Zif socket

Has any one ever thought of putting in a socket that allows you to change chips in about 3 seconds NO more holders that you can't buy....have had a socket in my car for more than a year with "zero" problems, my girl friend can even change chips at a stop light for me in no time flat,,,,simple to put in,,,down side is that you have to leave the small cover plate off because there is a slight added heigth, besides I took my plate off years ago when I started to make my own chips, the ECM can go back into the kick panel with no bulge. The only concern that I had when putting the holder in was the fact that the new holder has round pins and seemed that it might fit a bit loose so what I did was cut down an old broken 2732a holder that I had and used the pieces that go into the original ECM socket to act as a wedge just like the original holder did,,,,has been working perfectly ever since did not even use any type of glue to hold it in.

What I did was buy the adapter from Casper's that lets me put the PROM still in its carrier into my programmer. I have 6 carriers I rotate in and out as I make new chips. The carrier doesn't cover the window so I chuck the carrier right into my eraser, no bending pins.

Scott231 do you have a price and are you willing to sell?

First, does anyone have a P/N for a ZIF socket that fits these ECM's? I got one that was for a TBI truck that uses the same carriers but apparently uses a different socket since the pins dont line up from the socket to the board.

Next, if such a carrier/socket exists from Caspers, does anyone have a P/N price? :)

I recall paying $40 or so. They don't make them anymore but they have some in stock. Just email them, I couldn't find it on their website.

Casper's carries both the RN sockets and the chip carriers, both available from stock. The early ECMs were drilled for a .6 lead spacing, but the later ECMs had an odd 12 mm lead spacing, making it difficult to install a ZIF socket. This was common on the 1227148 ECMs. We have the the .6 LS carrier sockets which can be installed with a bit of "tweaking" of the leads.

-John Spina
www.casperselectronics.com

John, I sent you an email a few days ago (prior to your post)regarding ordering some items, if you get time could you please respond? I'd like to place an order!