25 lbs of boost

rycher

Hello. My father in law has a GN with a TA-49 turbo, w-09 injectors, upgraded chip (has letters TT on it), adj fuel pressure reg and upgraded fuel pump. He is at 15-17lb's of boost. His tuner says he can turn up the boost to 25lb's safely with no other mods. What is the consensus on this. He is new to turbo cars. Thanks in advance.

I see no scan tool to check for knock….I would not attempt this amount of boost with out one….

Deffinately have a scanner to watch knock and o2's. Run a minimun of 110 octane. 100% 110- no cocktails with pump gas.

I was able to get 23psi out of my TA60 with only alky no racegas required, but it was on the lean side 760's on the 02's with no knock..

Risky. I wouldn't try it. Well unless your a good turner. Alky! Get an Alky kit and let it rip!

Without some tuning and scan tools it is extremely foolish to try to turn up the boost. Stick around and learn about these cars before trying to make it go faster or you will soon be starting a thread asking how to replace head gaskets.
These cars are not forgiving when given a deadly combo of boost and knock. Take the car slowly to the next level and you will get to enjoy it. As has already been mentioned, get ALKY and scan tools and the chip re-burned for ALKY. Good luck

Bryan

So I take it the car does not have a Scanmaster...he should get one. Ask Bruce if he will replace the blown head gaskets, cracked or melted pistons, snapped crank, or cracked block for free if his 25 psi tune causes a problem?:)

I would not do it until I had a scantool to monitor the results. The TT chip is a chip from Eric Marshal, Turbo Tweak. I bet it is a street chip designed for 93 octane and 18 psi. They have the ability to be adjusted. you can change timing, add fuel, and will need a scantool like the scanmaster to do so. DO NOT REMOVE THE CHIP FROM THE ECM! If changes have been made to the chip, the settings will be lost when the battery is disconnected, chip removed, or ECM unplugged.

Leaded 110 will shorten the life of the 02 sensor really fast. I'd go with the Alky too. A kit from Julio at Alky Control is a must have for a high boost street Turbo Regal.

Risky. I wouldn't try it. Well unless your a good turner. Alky! Get an Alky kit and let it rip!
You need to be an even better tuner with alky. 110 is very forgiving at 25psi even with a decnt amount of timingh.

Are the fuel pump and injectors sufficient to provide adequate fuel for the HP that will be made at 25#? Whatever you do, don't go lean!
Hot Air

Without some tuning and scan tools it is extremely foolish to try to turn up the boost. Stick around and learn about these cars before trying to make it go faster or you will soon be starting a thread asking how to replace head gaskets.
These cars are not forgiving when given a deadly combo of boost and knock. Take the car slowly to the next level and you will get to enjoy it. As has already been mentioned, get ALKY and scan tools and the chip re-burned for ALKY. Good luck

Bryan
Ok Im trying to get into learning more about turning up my boost I just got it tuned and my boost was set at 26psi but when I went to pick my car up from the shop I ask the guy to turn it back down so I can adjust it myself,Im running c-16 gas so if I started out at 18 whats the next step.

15-17psi is a bit much for a stock intercooler unless the timing is 18 degrees which it can be in the TT chip (Turbo Tweak, Eric Marshall, IL).

There just isn't enough info to throw around psi #'s but 110 octane is good stuff, here in IL it's local and even mixing it I used to get good psi #'s out of it.