204/214 Speed pro

I had the 204/214 speedpro in my stock motor and was running 11.30s and I wasnt really leaning on it that hard. Very quiet cam unlike alot of the comp cam grinds ive heard. Sewing machines under the hood.:)

Mine is pretty quiet as well, when the car has been running for a few hours the lifters are just barely audible against the whataburger wall in the take out line, but nothing like some that I have heard. My dad was at our farm yesterday where our 85 GN is sitting in our barn. He started it and let it idle and said that the cam in there was just so wrong for it. It has the 208/201 cam that I had before and they both acted the same way, no low end , funny idle and a and a different exhaust note. Now he wants to take it out and put in the speedpro after hearing and feeling the difference in mine.

Hey everyone. This cam is pretty good feels real good in my car. Seems when I started talking about using this cam most people on this board said it was junk, but I guess that was a misconception. I ran 12.5s@113 w/ a 2.05 60 on 93 pump and 17-18 lbs. of boost. The car had plenty more but that nasty traction issue became a factor. The car also dynoed at 350rwhp and 476rwlbft w/ 17# on 93. I don't know about you'all but thats pretty good for not hardly tryin! :D

"""""""""""I think what your experencing is ccompressor surge since your letting more exaust out your spinning the turbo harder at any given rpm

meens your getting more exaust out the motor ...thats a good thing go to a 82 ar housing and bet it goes away.""""""""

Hey Red, i have the stock camshaft, at least i think i do. It spools up pretty good with a TA49 turbo and .63 garrett exhaust housing. It would only seem right that the longer exhaust duration of this cam would let out more exhaust gas, and flow more air. Now my question is if i put this cam in will it affect my spool up, especially with a .82 A/R housing. i would think that my turbo would spin harder and faster at a higher RPM, but what about low RPMs?? I want my boost onset to be a few hundred RPM lower, but im wondering if this will be the case with this cam. Usually on most engines, increasing the exhaust duration will give the engine a better top end, take away a bit from the bottom end, and increasing the duration period, intake and exhaust, brings your power band up a bit in the RPM range, less down low, more up high.

I guess im trying to ask is if the exhaust flow out the engine will be less at low RPMs, thus hurting my spool up and raising my boost onset RPM up a few hundred RPM.

In any case, i like the idea of this massive top end this thing gives you guys, 110 on 91 pump gas 127 with basically stock long block . . . .

Hmm, another thing i see is your short times all suffer, and your engine bogs on the low end due to too much fuel, think maybe the camshaft could play a part in that? i bet it needs a different fuel curve than the stock cam, even though the profiles are close. i just want this thing to come out of the hole as hard as it does now, and just scream up top,

Sorry for the long post,

My low end seems to be a lot better than before and spoolup seems to be right on par with the stock turbo. it spins them at part throttle with little or no boost. I can't wait to get my chip reburned so I can actually get on it. And blackv6, my dad is using the same cam as in my car in the 85. ;)

Hey Red, my TA49 turbo has the Precision exhaust housing. I think that it is the .82 housing, right? So I still think that the surging or fluttering is reversion due to the longer exhaust valve duration. The reason my 60 ft. times suck is due to my Goodyear street tires and not the cam shaft. My car makes plenty of low end torque, enough to blow the street tires away whenever I want to blow them away. I just wanted to avoid the wall at the drag strip. Blowing the tires away is always fun when along side a potential oponent. Saves having to race and risk getting a ticket and possible loss of the old drivers license. You would be surprised how a oponent changes his mind over a little up the road sideways Buick power. Next spring I will take my car to the track, add slicks, some good gas and maybe even change out my old standby ATR Pitbull chip (I hate to do that because it has served me well), and will run in the 11's 204/214 Speed Pro cam and all.
Jim

Got my engine back together earlier today with the Speedpro 204-214. Take in my mind the reason for me changing cams was that I had a suspiscion that my cam was wiped (Postons 202-202). So I dont know if comparing the Speedpro to a bad cam is fair.
Anyways...... so far so good. Ive got more driving and tuning to do to see what this thing really acts like now, plus track is closed till next year :mad: . So far Ive noticed more vac. and smoother idle. Car used to have a built up V8 lope to it, now it sounds like a turbo buick :) . Also, doesnt puff out smoke on start up like it used to. Havent noticed a plus on the lowend but I had forgot that I had my boost down to 13~ lbs. Topend I noticed a difference when I was on the highway, it started pulling a little harder than before. Oh yeah, Wasnt trying to, but tires broke loose getting on the highway when I down shifted at about 50mph, never did that before (not bad for one of those slow hotair cars :D ). I need to tune some more boost in to what I was running before and see what this cam really allows me to do now. One of the problems when I had the old cam in was that I was getting nowhere with tuning, car would run the same with 15 psi or 25 psi! I guess the air wasnt moving like it should, and was just sitting around :confused: . We'll see.
Thanks Reds.

P.S. Maybe I can get some decent gas mileage now, but then again I'll probably have my foot in it more than ever :rolleyes: .

dont know about your ta 49's but mine had a pte .63 housing on it and it did get a lil compressor surge if accelerating say half throttle or so.

My 60's right now are suffering from trying to get the fuel curve right with these 75# injectors not from lack of power it is stumbling when i come out the gate with it but I did go 1.64 60 ft last week even with a slight stumble.

I didnt have that problem when I had the 50# injectors in it I just had a problem with traction if I did launch it hard.
well now I did some suspemsion work and got some tires on it but havent gotten this fuel curve nowhere near right.

talk about compressor surge I have a garret .63 housing on the 70 turbo..It gets to be a lil wicked at half throttle

anyone had a bad experience you need to tell...all I see are good reports and all I can say about it is good so if someone is having or had a problem with one step up and fill us all in.

this thead is full of speed (pro) junkies :D

How does that chip compare to the thrasher 92? What kind of injectors is that chip rated for also?

Its for the 50#s, and thrashers are only for stock or 36 # injectors, you may be able to have it reburned for bigger injectors, but it would probably be better to just have another chip burned. You can ask that in the chips section and get better replies probably. Good luck

Does anyone have the cam card specs for the 204-214 SP cam that they can post? What's the overlap? LC? Etc... Anyone ever wipe one of these cams?

Seems that some have 110 LC and some have 112 LC. Which would work better? I assume the 112 would have better low end and better idle? Or do I have it backwards? Now I wish I read my cam articles closer.... :mad:

Originally posted by Ed Valvo
Seems that some have 110 LC and some have 112 LC. Which would work better? I assume the 112 would have better low end and better idle? Or do I have it backwards? Now I wish I read my cam articles closer.... :mad:

TTT