204/214 Speed pro

As I stated before, I am using the 204/214 and like it. One of the concerns about this cam was the reversion on the exhaust side. I replaced a 208/208 cam with the 204/214 Seal Power. I installed the 204/214 straight up and can see what they were talking about when they mentioned reversion. Reversion is pressure in the exhaust system and exhaust backing back into the cylinder due to the exhaust valve staying open longer. Turbo charged cars are more sensative to reversion due to the pressure between the exhaust valve and the turbo. Now with all that said, I am wondering about the 224 duration. How much reversion will you experince with it? In a turbo application, would it be a good idea to advance the 224 cam so the exhaust valve would close sooner? Just some things to think about. Camshafts are one of the things where more is not always better.
Jim Armbrust

Originally posted by Intercooler
I had the Edelbrock 204/214 and the Schneider 208/224 before and sold them to the same person to get the 206 roller for the 3.8. It is done so tonight I ordered a 214/224 for the 4.1. I paid something like $135.00 for just the 208/224 from Schneider because it isn't an off the shelf grind like the 204/214 or 214/224. This 214/224 is similar to all the others with this profile and should work as good if not better. Best part is $69.00!

Get them here:http://www.flatlanderracing.com/flatlandercambuick.html

Thanks Intercooler - I'm gonna order a 204/214 for my dad's xmas gift.

Originally posted by Jeasen
As I stated before, I am using the 204/214 and like it. One of the concerns about this cam was the reversion on the exhaust side. I replaced a 208/208 cam with the 204/214 Seal Power. I installed the 204/214 straight up and can see what they were talking about when they mentioned reversion.

Jeasen,

What exactly did you experience?

TIA! :)

Just went to order the 204/214 from flatlandracing.com and they are out. The guy said he didn't know when they would have any more......:rolleyes:

Nothern Autoparts has them on back order too.....

Summit has the Edlebrock Performer Plus 204/214 but, it says It can't be used with a computer. Any one ran into any probelms with the edlebrock? I assume its the same cam....

Thanks
Jeremy

It is hard to explain but I can tell it is there. I guess I would describe it as a flutter. Especially at part throttle. I can feel it and hear it and see it on my boost gague. I am not saying that it is excessive, but it is there. As I said, I like the 204/214 but I am not sure that I would consider the 214/224. That is why I was cautioning when someone mentioned the 214/224. Some times bigger is not better and it seems to me that the 204/214 is right on the edge.
Jim

Maybe Lee Thompson could chime in on that possible issue, Jeason. From what I hear, hes tried 10 different cams and his favorite is the Schneider 208-224.

Originally posted by Nocooler
Just went to order the 204/214 from flatlandracing.com and they are out. The guy said he didn't know when they would have any more......:rolleyes:

Nothern Autoparts has them on back order too.....

Summit has the Edlebrock Performer Plus 204/214 but, it says It can't be used with a computer. Any one ran into any probelms with the edlebrock? I assume its the same cam....

Thanks
Jeremy
Ignore that. It is the same cam. That is a CYA ploy. My friend just ordered the same Edelbrock 204/214 for his motor. A ton of places sell it.

As I said, I like the 204/214 but I am not sure that I would consider the 214/224. That is why I was cautioning when someone mentioned the 214/224. Some times bigger is not better and it seems to me that the 204/214 is right on the edge.
Jim
I can agree with this but we are talking slight differences. Lee said the best cam he ever put in his car was the 208/224. I special ordered one. I paid a decent amount to get it. The profile is almost identical to the 214/224 and this is a cheap off the shelf piece. It is going in a 4.1 which should be fine with a bigger stick. Lee was using the 208/224 in his hot-air 4.1 and loved it! Find out I guess.

It is hard to explain but I can tell it is there. I guess I would describe it as a flutter. Especially at part throttle. I can feel it and hear it and see it on my boost gague. I am not saying that it is excessive, but it is there. As I said, I like the 204/214 but I am not sure that I would consider the 214/224. That is why I was cautioning when someone mentioned the 214/224. Some times bigger is not better and it seems to me that the 204/214 is right on the edge.
Jim

I think what your experencing is ccompressor surge since your letting more exaust out your spinning the turbo harder at any given rpm

meens your getting more exaust out the motor ...thats a good thing go to a 82 ar housing and bet it goes away.

if you think the 204/214 maybe on the large size . you can go down one size and drop in a 194/204 . I remember one member mention that this cam made more torque and HP over the 204/214 . on some kind of engine caculator program that he was running .

Originally posted by Intercooler
Ignore that. It is the same cam. That is a CYA ploy. My friend just ordered the same Edelbrock 204/214 for his motor. A ton of places sell it.

That what I wanted to hear - thanks

Actually I think Bobby Buick had a 10 second pass with that cam a long time ago. Couple of years maybe. Mid 10's at that. Red's has a 9 second turbo on his car so maybe he will score the first 9 pass with that cam.
;)

Yep I have that cam in my 87 gn, but it is the one from schneider, had it in for a good while and it pulls like mad from the bottom all the way thru the top. ( intercooler) tell me a little more about the 208/224, and the 214/224, think it might be a little to big for the 231. Jr.

:confused: I'm up in the air about what I'm going to do at this point....

I really gotta make some decisions before running a big fuel system and caging the car...I'm not real sure I want to do that to this car or If I want to put this motor in a different car and drop another one in this one to keep it in mid 11's with small turbo and less converter

If I build another car for this motor it will fly since It will be build with going strait and fast

As far as tens Im running 10.90's at 126-127 at 23# boost and has plenty left in it but having problems with fuel delivery were its really rich off idle killing my 60 ft and leaning out bad in high gear :(

for 1/8 its going 7 flat at 102.45 mph

Originally posted by JRGN
Yep I have that cam in my 87 gn, but it is the one from schneider, had it in for a good while and it pulls like mad from the bottom all the way thru the top. ( intercooler) tell me a little more about the 208/224, and the 214/224, think it might be a little to big for the 231. Jr.
I have seen the 208/224 with a 4.1 combo only. It will probably work fine in a 3.8. We need someone to try it. The guy that bought my 208/224 needs to get her up and running so we can get some feedback.