All 204/214 speed pro users

JDSfastGN

Alright this is like my 4th post on camshafts, and i know its probably getting old but i'm still confused. I'm leaning towards the speedpro 204/214 cam now after the 194/204 melling(supposedly the same as the speed pro in a different box) showed up at O'reilly and looked like total crap, and looked used. I am probably gonna order the edlebrock 204/214 or a speed pro from Northern Auto Parts. But I am confused about which is better on a turbo motor, more intake or more exhaust? If I have the exhaust overlap with the intake that much, won't I lose bosst through the exhaust? I really miss the lowend of the stock cam, verses my ATR 208/201 rp313b which had nothing down low. Will the 204/214 have a good bottom end? Or should I go with the speed pro 194/204? This is for my current combo for the 87, with p&p'd stock heads with 1.77/1.5 valves. Thanks for any help, I'm really confused but I've heard nothing bad about this cam.

You need to jump on Google and search the turbo/supercharger cam profiles. What you will find is they are all 204/214, 212/224, etc...Also along the way will be some definitions. If you do a search on here for cam info I had a couple of nice articles on it posted.

Originally posted by 10SECONDVSIX
Speed Pro has lousy Grinds for Turbo Cars...
Huh:confused: :confused: They make a grind pretty much identical to the stocker plus several other known good performers. Well I hope the stock cam was a good performer:confused:

I don't pretend to be a cam expert. I can say that if you look at all the turbo/supercharger patterns out there they follow a common profile. This is my first shot at a 204/214 but I know a few that have had good luck. Bobby Buick- 10.50's, Red's- 127 MPH, Lee Thompson- 11.0 Hot-Air. I am curious now, what is the magic grind 10 sec?:confused:

I`m using Speed Pro 194/204 with no problems on my new rebuilt
runs strong and great idle.On this cam profile,it gives the most
average torque and average HP from 3,600 to 5,400 rpm`s on my Summit Racing HP calculations software.At 22# boost almost
500 HP with over 500 LB torque.:cool:

I think this is the best cam i have used, i have had the KB 1txb, a 208/208 grind and the speed pro cam feels like it really comes in strong around 3000 rpm rather than 4500. It feels more torqey down bottom. :eek:

Thanks a lot everybody, I'm pretty sure I want to go with the 204/214, I just want the low end torque back but along with the high end improvements I've heard about with this cam, It didn't want to spin the tires until the top of first which is somewhat normal but the boost was instantaneous but the low and mid range felt lazy compared to even the stock cam.

:cool: yea just try it you'll like it..

i have not seen or heard one complaint about speedpro cams .

well other than someone upthere that probly has 4 times the parts on his car just to make the same power or less than i am.:rolleyes:

10SECONDVSIX

Were all 19 of you posts just little jabs like this with nothing to back it up? Spew forth your vast knowledge or sit on the sidelines;)

Would the extra exhaust duration of the 204/214 help in turbo/nitrous applications compared to my 210/205 cam?

Thanks everybody, Intercooler thanks for the post on the turbo cams and everything, I went ahead and ordered the 204/214, and I'm looking forward to running it. Now I just have to hope that the block is salvagable. Thanks a lot.

Originally posted by turboost
Would the extra exhaust duration of the 204/214 help in turbo/nitrous applications compared to my 210/205 cam?

definatly would work better in nitrous applications..

:D Wow this post is back from the dead lol. I really like the 204/214, it pulls hard all the way up the rpm range. I have never used a 208/208, I had a 208/201, and think the 204/214 is 10x better and pulls harder at any given point. You might get a better response if you start a new thread. Good luck Edit: I see you already had another post.